A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 D4 is definately better in real life

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are the 20 inch option from the catalog ->

PQ6 20” x 9J ‘5-segment-spoke’ design alloy wheels, with 265/40 R20 tyres

If you go for the SE Exec, it's about £1000 to upgrade. All the demonstrators here have the 19's (standard SE Exec) ->

PRC 19” x 9J ‘10-spoke Y’ design alloy wheels, with 255/45 R19 tyres

They look ok, but don't quite do it for me.

Here's a run down of the spec:

4.2 TDI SE Exec - Havanna black
Comfort Sports Seats - black
Seat Ventilation and Massage
Wooden Gear Lever
Extended Leather Package
20"10 Paralell Spoke Alloys
Sports suspension with shock absorbsion
Phone Prep High with online services
Assam Grey Inlays
Heated 3 spoke steering wheel
TV Reception
Bose Sound System
All LED Headlights
Dynamic Steering
Deluxe 4 zone climate control
Electric Blinds rear and side
Homelink Garage door opener
Through Load Facility
Power Door Closure
Twin Pane UV with heated windscreen

If I was ordering from scratch today, I'd add the following:

-Extended Leather Package Plus
-Alcantara Package - for the headling (check the colour before you order, with a black interior it's moon silver and not black as you'd expect)
-Probably the B&O system to save me hassle of getting a more powerful system installed.
-Side assist with pre-sence rear (this with the cruise control gives the car the ability to do a full emergency stop by itself and to protect you from being rear-ended)
-Lane assist
-Privacy glass
Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats man, hope you're gonna enjoy it!
just one question: what's that huge gap between wheel and wheel arch? is it normal?
best
d
Old 06-26-2010, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Because the car had just been delivered, it was in transportation mode, in case the car is put on a trailer and scrapes the ground. I'm assuming it's a vagcom setting that is higher than you can choose through the MMI.

Going from one I've seen before, that looked really low when finished. I'll have to be careful of the speed bumps I guess.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 20" Tires

In the US there appears to be no all-weather tire option for the 20"-ers. What tires did you order with yours?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am a bit surprised that Audi offers 265/40 tires with optional 20" wheels when the 08 Sport option twin spoke 20" wheels came with 275/40 tires. I read somewhere that the D4 might be offered with 21" optional wheels, which I assume would be be fitted with at least 275/40 tires. The larger wheels and tires make a noticeable handling difference from my winter 19" wheels with 255/40 tires, but obviously cannot be used in very cold weather due to tire compound stiffness.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I checked and they were some kind of asymmetrical Goodyears.

21's seem to be mentioned in the blurb on the internet, but the only 21's I've seen are on the hybrid ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARrfkWxW9ww ) and there's a car at the showroom in Neckarsulm with a 5 spoke pattern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OuZY...eature=related

My dealer had seen this car and can verify that those are 21s, not sure of the size though or brand.

On an unrelated note, I think the following clip makes you realise how much they check out each car. Amazing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq49QeWqxvc
Old 06-27-2010, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

On the order form here in the States the standard tire is 19" and the option is 20", but it specifically says the 20" are summer tires and all-weathers are not available.
This creates a problem for me living in New York. Since I don't want to invest in seperate tires for summer and winter (and find storage space for them) I will probably stay wth the 5-spoke 19" that come stock.

Last edited by Emauss; 06-27-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Emauss
On the order form here in the States the standard tire is 19" and the option is 20", but it specifically says the 20" are summer tires and all-weathers are not available.
This creates a problem for me living in New York. Since I don't want to invest in seperate tires for summer and winter (and find storage space for them) I will probably stay wth the 5-spoke 19" that come stock.
Pretty sure the U.S. spec stock wheels are 19" 10-"Y" spoke styled. The 5-spoke 19" wheels (same as on 2008-2010 D3) are shown on European websites, but not listed for U.S. You can probably special order them though.

Last edited by derfA8L; 06-28-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I might have mis-read the order form

I would be very happy if that is the case. I have the 5-spoke wheels now and would prefer the 10-spoke variety.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got the car :-) It's such a good car. It'll take ages to go through the manuals and work out what it's all about.

Well worth the money (pictures to come tonight hopefully) and the wait (4 months from order to door).

Havannah black is amazing as a colour, lots of nuances in the sunlight that make it a worthy colour for the car.

As I've not had adaptive cruise control before, it's all new, but I like it so far. It's almost magical the way the car slows down and ambles along is slow moving traffic. I've been warned about when a car in front turns at a junction though, the adaptive system sees it's gone and immediately tries to get you going at the speed it was previously set to. Basically, the driver still has to be aware!

Rear legroom is better than the D3. Headroom is much better too (no sunroof in my old and new car). The sports seats are excellent, haven't fiddled with them too much yet. The cooling element is nice, not too strong and not too weak. The massage settings have yet to be explored.

The speech recognition works a treat, hasn't missed a beat yet.

We did notice when picking the car up that the online services don't work. We jumped into the dealers demonstrator with my sim card and it worked. So it looks like the demo cars had more enabled to show people etc. Can't wait to get the google maps going though.

I did notice that when playing some fairly bass oriented music that something appeared to rattle on the rear parcel shelf. But I've already mentioned that to the dealer and we're building a list.

Whilst I was at the dealers, he'd just got an R8 V10 on the road as a demo car. It would have been rude to have not given it a go :-) Now there's power and handling.

Anyway, time drop the kids off and get to work. Got a long queue of people who want a ride in it.

Quick Reply: A8 D4 is definately better in real life