A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 front rotors 356mm v 380mm

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 front rotors 356mm v 380mm

i was trying to be proactive with my 2015 A8L and swap out the front brakes (30k miles).

i bought the PowerStop kit K7652 - drilled and slotteds with carbon pads.

There was a note on the kit “For cars manufactured after 8/2014 with 356mm rotors”.

i had the car in yesterday and low and behold, the car, manufactured 1/2015 has the 380mm rotors.

So I have a few questions for those that have been here.
- Is PowerStop wrong about the changeover date or otherwise just wrong?
- is there any other aftermarket for this kit? I haven’t found any.

i am trying to both avoid the dealer $1500 job (and that may be low lol) and upgrade the brakes at the same time. Luckily they just put the old parts back in, and I have time to sort it out.

Thanks in Advance
Ed

Old 02-07-2019, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Welcome.

What motor do you have?

Car is what it is as far as rotor size, so you need to get the right ones. But, 30K is awfully low miles for rotor swap...other than the show angle... Have you mic'ed them for wear against spec.?

For most D4 rotor sizes, there is no other true supplier option than dealer sourced, and the on line discounted dealers are not too bad price wise. There are maybe some Zimmerman's floating around in one of the sizes (356?), which may be coming from the same supplier as dealer ones. There is apparently an underlying patent on these rotors, and Audi and BMW share the rights to them/it. But again, I would wear the originals out first. Rule of thumb is every other pad change for rotors on Audis for normal driving style..

Can certainly do aftermarket pads. Factory are solid, over than the usual OE dust. If you really want drilled, I think choices are Brakeworld and Adam's Rotors, which for these are typically just dealer supplied and then machined/drilled with a further price mark up.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The car is a 3 liter, L. Every indication I have is they should be 356mm based on the build date, but PowerStop could have that wrong of course. The6 haven’t replied yet to my tech inquiry.

The only reason I was doing the swap was because of a tiny grind I hear first thing in the morning. I can see a little bit or ridge or groove, but the pads are not fully worn, no warning lights, no pulsation. I was just being proactive and thought the $221 kit was a bargain.

As for next steps, the Indy shop can not/will not resurface the rotors due to an experience they had with BMW rotors warping on their machine. He said that had to do with the bi-metal construction.

The existing rotors are mic’ed OK. I was reluctant to have them slap new pads in without resurfacing though. It might just come to that though, Does a dealer resurface these rotors?

Thanks
Ed
Old 02-07-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What you heard is correct. Shops often won't resurface that type. Had a friend with an M6 with them and he got the same answer from an indy machine shop. The reason is they are quasi floating rotor rings on the radial pins. Thus if the machining pushes on the side of the rotor one side at a time and it is held only at the hub area, the rotor face can wobble a bit on the machine. The design is like a two piece with the lighter alloy hat. Thus technically better--and especially lighter--than your basic cast iron rotor.

If concerned noise wise just rough them up a bit. Simple old school approach on rotors--wire brush on a drill or some sandpaper work in swirling motions. You can also use a pad set that has a break in compound like the EBC Red's do. Helps scrub the rotors, especially if prior ceramics were used that can deposit a thin layer on rotors and not get along well with a different ceramic pad used later. If you have factory pads to start, this last issue is less likely.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a quick note for others to compare. Audi of Livermore is quoting me $3500 to change all 4 brakes (rotors and pads). Ouch. I found the comments above as I was searching for alternatives for the rotors/pads.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bswartz
Just a quick note for others to compare. Audi of Livermore is quoting me $3500 to change all 4 brakes (rotors and pads). Ouch. I found the comments above as I was searching for alternatives for the rotors/pads.
See my PM to you. How many miles on yours?
Old 06-06-2019, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bswartz
Forget going to any dealer for this kind of job.
Here is the link for all 4 corners brake part : https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Audi-A8...t/352309044821
Just find any indy shop that can do it. There is nothing special about Audi A8 brakes. I just did the same for my 2016 Range Rover. Dealer quoted me $1800 parts and labor. I bought all parts for $400 and paid my indy shop $200 for labor.
I can't imagine that A8 labor will be more than that.

Good Luck.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I searched high and low for a 380mm kit back in February, so that kit must be a new offering. Great for A8 owners.

if I recall, the mechanic told me you have to retract the A8 calipers via the ODB port.

in any case, I solved my A8 issue by trading it in for a 2019 S5 Prestige, 4 door slant back....
Old 06-06-2019, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AAAltered468
in any case, I solved my A8 issue by trading it in for a 2019 S5 Prestige, 4 door slant back....
Good for you, but WOW...this is probably the most expensive way to solve the brake issue I've heard ) LOL
Old 06-06-2019, 08:48 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

YES
I am not the only one who has traded in a car to avoid a full-blown brake job.......

Quick Reply: A8 front rotors 356mm v 380mm