A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritz
I was specifically referring to the 4.0T situation.
RockAuto has pads for the 4.0 as well. Akebono is what I use to use on my Lexus. Their great pads.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
RockAuto has pads for the 4.0 as well. Akebono is what I use to use on my Lexus. Their great pads.
Akebono pads are ok. Not great, not awful. Consistently OK.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I guess it depends on what your looking for. I personally would rather have a little softer pad that is easier on the rotors. Then again stopping distance is sacrificed a bit going this route.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I guess it depends on what your looking for. I personally would rather have a little softer pad that is easier on the rotors. Then again stopping distance is sacrificed a bit going this route.
I want the most aggressive pad I can get my hands on that doesn't squeal like Ned Beatty. I don't care about dust or about rotor wear.

Best,
Old 03-01-2017, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 609 Likes on 508 Posts

Don't really get the 4.0T point either on checking. Old internet echo's? TireRack let down?

My check showed essentially all the same ones again. Basically all but Hawk--which isn't real high on my own list for ceramics anyway. Thus, EBC in Green, Red and Yellow, Porterfields, Carbotechs in all the flavors, Disc Italias and others on the Brakeworld site.

Then add Textar's--might be the OE since found on Audi's sometimes; on ECS site. Also even Ate has a front 4.0T listing now. Probably more too; I think the old lore of no 4.0T pad support is sort of out window. Makes sense, since my own experience with a new fitment is it can take 3 or 4 years for common names to get product out there when they start to anticipate aftermarket sales. Saw it with the D3 S8 and W12 fitment which was new when I first had the W12.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-01-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Don't really get the 4.0T point either on checking. Old internet echo's? TireRack let down?

My check showed essentially all the same ones again. Basically all but Hawk--which isn't real high on my own list for ceramics anyway. Thus, EBC in Green, Red and Yellow, Porterfields, Carbotechs in all the flavors, Disc Italias and others on the Brakeworld site.

Then add Textar's--might be the OE since found on Audi's sometimes; on ECS site. Also even Ate has a front 4.0T listing now. Probably more too; I think the old lore of no 4.0T pad support is sort of out window. Makes sense, since my own experience with a new fitment is it can take 3 or 4 years for the aftermarket to get product out there when they start to anticipate aftermarket sales. Saw it with the D3 S8 and W12 fitment which was new when I first had the W12.
It's been a couple of months since I last checked. I kinda like the Hawk HPS/HPX parts myself (I think Porterfields are actually the same parts), but could live with EBC red/yellow.

Best,
Old 03-01-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ritz
It's been a couple of months since I last checked. I kinda like the Hawk HPS/HPX parts myself (I think Porterfields are actually the same parts), but could live with EBC red/yellow.

Best,

Yep. Maybe look at some of the Carbotech's given you want more aggressive; they have a variety of compounds. I hadn't heard until I came across them in the Mini enthusiast community and ran a set with JCW brakes. With the separate wear sensor Audi is using on D4, it may open up more choices; Mini is the same set up. When it is embedded in pad like D2 and D3 were, sort of sub par if you have to get pads without them. Some of the companies will notch the backplate for separate sensors (like D4), but not want to get into molding sensors into the material.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-01-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this work for my 2013 A8? What do I do about sensors for these. Doesn't seem like these includes sensors
Old 03-06-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can you guys comment on your estimation of my rear brake pad life left. CPO states at least 50% break pad life. This to me does not look like 50% life left. Trying to see if the dealer should of replaced the pads / rotors during the CPO.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 03-06-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by VanBong
Would this work for my 2013 A8? What do I do about sensors for these. Doesn't seem like these includes sensors
Pads: I can't comment on part #, but I regular have used EBC Redstuff on Audis, including D3. Close to stock feel, less dust.

Sensors aren't built into (front) pad any more. But they are reusable usually unless worn through--the light turns on when material is worn off near end of pad life and then shorts the connection. Thus, if light is on in instrument panel specific to front or rear, then gone. But even if light on for fronts, doesn't mean rear sensors are worn through. Needs inspection to really know. Can get from dealer at high price, some indy sites (autohauosaz, ecstuning) or bigger generic sites like rock auto. By the way, there is a little Torx screw that holds each rotor to hub. Can reuse, but I often replace. Especially if in snow belt. Costs very little if you know its there and need other bit parts like sensors anyway.

Rotors: I can't be 100% sure on 3.0T since I don't own it, but I am about 95% sure it has the quasi two piece design with an alloy center hat. Means its lighter. AFAIK, only place to get those remains dealers. A supplier can make an all cast iron one certainly with same dimensions, but it is not the same performance/weight wise. Be sure of deeper spec of what you are really buying, and what's on there now.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Brakes?