A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 2011 right side window defrost motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Audi A8 2011 right side window defrost motor issue

Hello, so my Audi A8 2011 does not want to defrost my right side window, the air is blowing out through the right side vent however there is no air through the defroster hole. What i did is i bought a new motor and when i removed the old one i noticed there are some small plastic parts broken off on the air distribution housing . I still installed the motor and it did not work. So i bought a used air distribution housing (4H1819354A) which already came with the motor. So i installed the new one and it still does not work. I have cleared the fault codes, however the HVAC does not clear, still says there is a problem with the motor and running output test of the right side window defroster does not blow the air through the defroster vent (although air is coming through the right side vent). I have checked/disassembled the old air distribution housing and its an easy mechanism solely controlled by the motor. Moving the flap/fins by hand obviously worked fine so the issue is the motor operation. So my main question is - when you install a motor, do you need to adapt it somehow to the system?Maybe that is the problem, maybe the car does not recognize the motor even though i think that should be plug and play. Can anyone help me on the matter?

Part of VCDS scan here:

0133 - Motor for Left Side Window Defrost Flap
B10D7 29 [008] - Signal Implausible
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 56
Mileage: 158459 km
Date: 2021.02.11
Time: 14:36:57
Old 02-17-2021, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I dont see an edit post button for some reason so i will add the VCDS scan that does not clear here. The lines below does not clear when i press clear codes, it just changes the time to current:

Control Module Part Number: 4H0 820 043 E HW: 4H0 820 043 E
Component and/or Version: Klima 3 Zonen H14 0061
Software Coding: 4881202E88
Work Shop Code: WSC 02313 785 00200
ASAM Dataset: EV_AirCondiFront 001050 (AU64)
VCID: 221DE1A5C4449CBB456-8076
Fault Codes have been Erased
1 Fault Found:
0137 - Motor for Right Side Window Defrost Flap
B10D8 22 [009] - Signal Amplitude Too High
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 18
Mileage: 158511 km
Date: 2021.02.17
Time: 15:37:27
Old 02-17-2021, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So i thought i need to adapt the motor/flap to the car, but under 08 Auto Hvac and 04 Basic Settings i only see these options. Any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2021, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Okay, so i have selected ''Adapt door end stops'' as in the picture, it finished successfully, then i went and cleared the fault codes which went successfully and did not reappear immediately. However upon launching the individual test of the right side defroster motor it still would not blow the air through the side (small vent that goes through the door panel) only through the front into the passenger. This is a matter of the motor just switching the flap on/off, i dont understand what rocket science is this...
Old 02-18-2021, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue with the left defrost flap, i replaced the motor but the basic setting wouldn't complete successfully

I'm sure i read somewhere that there's a lug on the plastic body of the vent that is the end stop for the travel of the flap

This lug breaks off so the motion can over run, causing the error.

I haven't took mine out to check though as it doesn't really affect anything, just the fault code bugs me.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Albert, thank you for the message. Since i have bought a new housing i would have to rule out any broken parts. I have disassembled the housing though and operating the wheel (that controls the switches for the flaps in the housing) moves everything fine. I have spent the whole day today in - 15c outside trying to readjust the motor, i have separated the motor from the housing numerous times and the motor would always overturn causing the switches to fall off from their designated spots on the housing wheel. I gave up and left it i a half open position, reassembled the housing, reinstalled the glove box, then turned on the car and somehow box defrosters are now working fine. I dont know if this is temporary or the numerous adaptations i have done during the day did the job, but the defroster seems to be working now. I need it because its a heavy winter in Lithuania with temps up to - 20 and the windows get foggy if i get back from somewhere and there is some moisture inside so the defroster helps in that regard.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I thought i have fixed the issue, but no, today the motor overspun the wheel again and its jammed again. I am really tired of this. I am sure this is a matter of programming the motor to be able to understand what position the flap housing is in. I think the motor does not know what position the flap is in. I have tried with the flap fully open, then with closed and finally i have left it half open which made me think i fixed it, because it worked for a several cooling mode changes.

Last edited by tuxedo; 02-18-2021 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikesvwservice (06-21-2023)
Old 02-20-2021, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So i will post an update on the matter: i have bought a third air distributuon housing and i can confirm that my other 2 housings (the original one and replacement i bought later) both have same two plastic pins/fins broken underneath that probably causes the motor to overspin thus moving the small control arms out of the wheel. This third housing has all of the plastic parts in place. I have disconnected the connector from the installed housing and connected to the new one and it appears to be working correctly. It took me 3 hours to remove the air distribution housing the last time so for now i disconnected the cable and left the fins in half open position so the air would blow to the window and passenger at the same time. I will replace the housing when i find the time and will post whether the issue is 100 percent fixed.

Last edited by tuxedo; 02-20-2021 at 06:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tuxedo:
Albert_Swafega (02-20-2021), mikesvwservice (06-21-2023)
Old 02-20-2021, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxedo
So i will post an update on the matter: i have bought a third air distributuon housing and i can confirm that my other 2 housings (the original one and replacement i bought later) both have same two plastic pins/fins broken underneath that probably causes the motor to overspin thus moving the small control arms out of the wheel. This third housing has all of the plastic parts in place. I have disconnected the connector from the installed housing and connected to the new one and it appears to be working correctly. It took me 3 hours to remove the air distribution housing the last time so for now i disconnected the cable and left the fins in half open position so the air would blow to the window and passenger at the same time. I will replace the housing when i find the time and will post whether the issue is 100 percent fixed.
If you post a picture of the broken part, i might even have a go on mine 👍
Old 02-20-2021, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah sure thing, here are two pictures of the housing. 1 as it stands in the vehicle (right side in my case) and another with the broken pins which i have highlighted. You have to remove the motor, and the wheel with its holder from the housing to observe for any damage. I have two housings and both are damaged in exactly the same fashion.

The following users liked this post:
mikesvwservice (06-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Audi A8 2011 right side window defrost motor issue