A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose sucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bose sucks

Had the Bose in my 12 A7 and thought it was fine so I assumed it would be ok in the A8L. Worst sound system in any lux car I've ever had. Anyone have settings that help. Just awful
Old 08-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is kinda blah sounding. I passed on some S8s because they didn't have B&O. Hopefully you can find a setting you will be content with. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

FIrst of all start with some good program material like a good CD, not a MP3 or Ipod or other apple device.

Next turn the DSP options off. Select Normal.

Verify that every speaker works.

If distortion is present systems wide at moderate volume levels, then replace the amplifier.

If one speaker is distorting then replace the speaker.

You should have something that sounds reasonable.

Try a few different CDs. I have heard some horrible sounding CDs.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Some people have reported better performing Bose after an mmi update.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It did perform better on mine after an update.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My loaner A8 had the Bose system.

It just can't hold a candle to the B & O system.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Of course. You actually do get something for the extra $6200 for the B&O. Having said that the Bose isn't that bad but it isn't a McIntosh either. If someone could find the equalizer settings for the Bose or find a equalizer that will plug into the MOST ring, that should go a long way towards improving things.

I have everything needed to measure the response of the Bose system. There just isn't any point to it if I cannot change anything.

Last edited by richard-tx; 08-08-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Have the Bose in my 2014 A6, not sure if it is the same set-up as what is installed in the A8, but it is equally less than desirable. There is no setting other than "off' that will improve the sound.

As others have indicated, that a $$$$ luxury car offers identical sound controls found on the cheapest of any radio (little more than fade, balance) is frustrating; an equalizer built in the MMI would have been reasonable. My biggest gripe is that you cannot turn off the surround sound and/or control the center dash mono speaker: music listened to by the average demographic Audi buyer was meant to be played in stereo. A Disney movie soundtrack warrants surround sound. Also, as pointed out the source is crucial: Sirius/XM is a poor source as it is too compressed. A CD or equivalent will sound much better.

While I aspire to one day attempt half of what subterFUSE has done in his A6, all I have had the time to do is disconnect the offensive center dash mono speaker. For inspiration, please check out subterFUSE’s posts that demonstrate his install…..

Yes, as configured Bose Blows....a shame
Old 08-08-2015, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I can control the surround just fine. There are about 5 different options for the DSP/surround, one of which is "OFF".

The center speaker level should have been made adjustable. I think what Bose was attempting to do was to synthesize was a 5.1 HT setup. They missed the mark.

Oh well. It is better than boom box on the back seat.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

*had a B&O an A8L for 8 months - 11k miles; it was great bass treble w/o distortion, well tuned to the cabin - worth the $6.3k. Filled the cabin @ 20 volume and its equal
to texting while driving at 25-30 volume. Brushed aluminum faces were too much in your face, agree?

*now have a A8L BOSE (*w/ sports Pkg Plus) the bass treble is good-ok set at max with no distortion and set to max surround sound , it takes ~ 25 to fill the cabin and its all good. Delivers with Sirius, CDs, SD, Jukebox, etc. Blck faces in a triple Blck A8L looks quite understated...

Looked to upgrade, came in at $1800-2000. Will it rival B&O?
Maybe!

Sound is off at times, sports susp & diff is more engaging. Will report
after the upcoming x-country trip...

thx

Quick Reply: Bose sucks