A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bugs in the D4

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Bugs in the D4

Hi

I thought I'd let you know that most of the issues with my D4 have now been fixed (just in time for the next one - which was ordered today).

But the main ongoing issue seems to be the MMI. In the last few days I've had the following at random times:

- sound stops working for everything apart from the telephone until you either reset the MMI or switch it off for several minutes and try again
- MMI screen decided to close and reboot itself whilst driving (it also forgot the destination in the NAV, so it definately rebooted)
- The MMI initialisation phase sometimes takes up to a minute to complete after starting the vehicle and generally, the MMI response seems a tad lethargic!

The last one was logged as a DIS report a few weeks ago, but there haven't been any updates released. I also checked the versions of the software with a newly built car which had the google maps thing working and it was the same build number.

Hopefully the kinks will be resolved soon.

Jet
Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Ahhh, the joys of being 1st with a new model.

Seriously, that's inexcuseable, considering the amount of testing that's presumably gone into the car---added to the fact that the MMI system (although newly "upgraded") isn't new at all. Perhaps the new 3-D imagery is affecting MMI performance? Obviously they'll sort everything out, but it does grate on the nerves after a short while. Hopefully the replacement vehicle will behave better.

Cheers!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hope so too.

Here's the final spec that was put in the system today I believe. There's a slim chance it'll arrive this side of Christmas, otherwise I'll keep on doing the mileage on the existing car. Oh well :-)

A8 SE Exec - Havanna Black
Comfort sports seats - Black
Seat ventilation and massage for front
Wooden gearshift selector lever ****
Upper inlays – Vavona wood, assam grey
Sports air suspension with eletronic shock absorption control
Mobile prep- high with blue + online
TV
All LED
Dynamic Steering
Deluxe 4-zone climate control
Electric blinds all round
Garage door opener
Through load facility
Power door closure
Twin pane UV heat insulating and heated
Heated 3-spoke leather wheel with paddles
Extended Leather Package Plus
Bang and Olufsen Advanced system
Rear Seat Entertainment
Adaptive cruise control (ACC) with Stop&Go function including pre-sense front
Side Assist with pretense rear
21” 5 arm Rotor design in titanium finish Alloys
Privacy Glass
Black Alcantara headlining
Service plan

The only thing is that I'd want to sit in the back now.... over to the wife to drive then!

Jet
Old 10-01-2010, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ahhh, going for 21-inch wheels----sweet! No way I'd get away w/that on NYC area roads. Can't wait to see pics of the car with those rims :^)
Old 10-01-2010, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

There's talk of taking off the 21" rims from the brochure. The supplier for Audi is struggling to meet demand.

It's getting to be a similar story for the Q7, but not yet.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jetinder
There's talk of taking off the 21" rims from the brochure. The supplier for Audi is struggling to meet demand.

It's getting to be a similar story for the Q7, but not yet.
Not an issue here in the states; 21's aren't an available option here on the A8---20's are the largest offered wheel. We do get them as an option for the Q7.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know if in the US you get traffic information on the radio i.e radio switches over to the traffic on another channel for a minute or two. But the biggest gripe I have with this car is that you can't preset the volume on the alert.

Imagine you are playing something off the jukebox or an ipod which has a low volume. Naturally, you'd crank up the sound systems volume to compensate (even if you turn up the gain on the ipod input via the MMI). When the traffic info comes on, it'll almost scream at you as you fumble with the volume. What's worse is that the centre speaker with the Bose system distorts like nobodies business. Mine's been replaced once already and it's only marginally better.

There is a setting for the volume, but it didn't quite do what you expect it to. The Audi technician managed to work out that the volume control was actually a "boost" control for the traffic info. Arrggghhhh. It's the opposite of how it was on the D3, so a step backwards in my eyes.

Anyway, DIS report has been with the factory for a couple of months. Hopefully by the time the new car arrives it'll be better.

The only other errors to note:

- Child safety system warning (restarted the car and it's gone away)
- Opened the rear door one morning and the alarm went off (even though when I opened the door, the car unlocked itself for me)
- Cruise control stopped working on the way to work. I stopped in a dark parking bay next to the road and cleaned the radar domes and windscreen. Learnt that I should switch off the auto wipers when I do that, otherwsie it can hurt when it tries to clean the screen!
- MMI sometimes locks up. Give it the three finger reboot to workaround the problem.

It's still an awesome car. I've almost reached 7000 miles on it and it's really coming on-song. I'm averaging over 42mpg (UK) to and from work each day, but still able to give it some serious stick when I want to.

I'll definately get it rolling roaded just before I have to trade it in, just for the fun factor. I'd hope it's up to about 425hp and 930 NM (685ft/lb) torque by then. It might also be worth taking it for a track day :-)
Old 10-31-2010, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jetinder
I don't know if in the US you get traffic information on the radio i.e radio switches over to the traffic on another channel for a minute or two. But the biggest gripe I have with this car is that you can't preset the volume on the alert.

Imagine you are playing something off the jukebox or an ipod which has a low volume. Naturally, you'd crank up the sound systems volume to compensate (even if you turn up the gain on the ipod input via the MMI). When the traffic info comes on, it'll almost scream at you as you fumble with the volume. What's worse is that the centre speaker with the Bose system distorts like nobodies business. Mine's been replaced once already and it's only marginally better.

There is a setting for the volume, but it didn't quite do what you expect it to. The Audi technician managed to work out that the volume control was actually a "boost" control for the traffic info. Arrggghhhh. It's the opposite of how it was on the D3, so a step backwards in my eyes.

Anyway, DIS report has been with the factory for a couple of months. Hopefully by the time the new car arrives it'll be better.

The only other errors to note:

- Child safety system warning (restarted the car and it's gone away)
- Opened the rear door one morning and the alarm went off (even though when I opened the door, the car unlocked itself for me)
- Cruise control stopped working on the way to work. I stopped in a dark parking bay next to the road and cleaned the radar domes and windscreen. Learnt that I should switch off the auto wipers when I do that, otherwsie it can hurt when it tries to clean the screen!
- MMI sometimes locks up. Give it the three finger reboot to workaround the problem.

It's still an awesome car. I've almost reached 7000 miles on it and it's really coming on-song. I'm averaging over 42mpg (UK) to and from work each day, but still able to give it some serious stick when I want to.

I'll definately get it rolling roaded just before I have to trade it in, just for the fun factor. I'd hope it's up to about 425hp and 930 NM (685ft/lb) torque by then. It might also be worth taking it for a track day :-)
Hate to say it, but your post is making me re-think the order I placed yesterday. I'm starting to think that there may be too much technology being loaded into this car.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm sure it'll be better in the cars that are being made now.

As you can imagine, electrics in the car are a nightmare. Most of the things I've had can be fixed with software updates. It's just a question of "if" and/or "when" I guess.

Audi have made a huge effort with this car, to be honest, I doubt other manufacturers at this price, would do a much better job.

I think both our new cars will be better.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a long chat with my Audi dealer this morning and there is hope.

Audi will be enabling a feature within "MyAudi" where you can get updates for the car and save them to USB,SD Card etc etc and apply them yourselves.

I've seen the option within the MMI system to do updates and wondered what it was all about.

The feature is due to be launched "in a couple of months", which probably means at least 6 months in my opinion.

Definately a good idea in my opinion.

Jet

Quick Reply: Bugs in the D4