A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of 55K miles service

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of 55K miles service

I called the dealer for a quote on 55K mile service.
The price: $680. When asked what it included, they said an oil change and a bunch of checks.

Called an independent Audi/VW shop. $120 for the same work.

Go figure.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusaudi
The price: $680. When asked what it included, they said an oil change and a bunch of checks.

Go figure.
I agree.

Over here in the UK I called for a inspection service @ 18K I was told 3 different prices.

£510
£399
£199

They just make it up as they go along.

You get the oil filter change with the first one, Pollen filter with the second, for £199 they just look at it through the window and tick everything.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be engine specific as the 55k service on the 3.0 includes new spark plugs, serpentine belt, cabin filter, engine air filter, oil change, and a few other little things. But I do agree that going independent saves a lot. This is why I am not a fan of Audi Care / Care Plus.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go figure.

I have a 4.2ltr FSI engine, and my dealer quoted me $1,500 for the 55K service. I laughed and left. For my car, this includes spark plugs, air filters, oil change, and brake fluid flush.

I changed the oil, plugs, and filters myself for around $300, and paid an Indy about $120 to flush the brake lines.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TimInNOVA
I have a 4.2ltr FSI engine, and my dealer quoted me $1,500 for the 55K service. I laughed and left. For my car, this includes spark plugs, air filters, oil change, and brake fluid flush.

I changed the oil, plugs, and filters myself for around $300, and paid an Indy about $120 to flush the brake lines.
I am surprised that it required spark plug change at 55K. The dealer did not say it was included in the service. Normally cars go for 100K miles before they need a spark plug change. Audi Service bulletin does say replace at 55K or 6 years, whichever comes first.
Could you please post the spark plug part # for the 4.2T engine, and where to buy it from, and what tools I need to change them myself?
Thanks,
Old 08-26-2017, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I am surprised that it required spark plug change at 55K. The dealer did not say it was included in the service. Normally cars go for 100K miles before they need a spark plug change. Audi Service bulletin does say replace at 55K or 6 years, whichever comes first.
Could you please post the spark plug part # for the 4.2T engine, and where to buy it from, and what tools I need to change them myself?
Thanks,
What engine do you have? 4.2 or 4.0t? Either way your best bet is to get them from your local dealer or one of the online parts dealers.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
What engine do you have? 4.2 or 4.0t? Either way your best bet is to get them from your local dealer or one of the online parts dealers.
See reply 4.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Thanks,
Basically, the 100K plugs idea has never been true for any Audi. You might be able to run a double iridium plug out to 100K miles, but Audi spec. is what it is. In general, Audis are on either a 40K mile interval or a 60K, depending on which motor it is. For pre-2017's (when they changed first service from 5K to 10K), they shortened first cycle to 35K or 55K. You can get into more esoteric discussions about quality of spark and materials choice that might get a different answer than double iridium, but for a different day/thread.

From having changed 100K plugs on a Toyota (and a similar Chysler set up), some of it is owner or service provider avoidance/cost when it comes to common motor set ups you find. Rear plugs on a transverse V6 in a FWD (or AWD) set up a la Toyota and zillions off others is a real pain in butt. Either blind reach way, way up under car and above the exhaust manifold and any cat, or start dissembling wiper assemblies and stuff like that. BTDT, both ways. By contrast, your average Audi longitudinal 4, 6 or 8 is much easier.

Also recognize some of this is game playing--tune up costs and such go into "cost of ownership" calculations you find some manufacturers touting. Ask many BMW and Mini owners how those CBS extended service intervals worked out long term--among the sea of seriously screwed up motors that is--before BMW finally went back to conventional. Also leads to "lifetime" fluids. Lifetime, as in they will last not one mile more or less than the "lifetime" of the underlying system, whether maintained or not. But, if you want appliance and Maytag, yep 100K and lifetime and whatever are often the std. play book.

On plug #, either just order by VIN via online dealer or get the OES plug if you know who makes it (could be NGK, Beru or once in a while still Bosch). The online discounted dealer prices these days are actually pretty close to OES for tune up parts even after you try to shop it a bunch on web. Audi made a decision some years ago now to reduce parts prices on the common tune up and brakes stuff to be more competitive.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-26-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Go figure.
Luxury car dealers are always rip-offs. Got a 2nd year service (30k miles, but my odometer at 9k) on my Jag F Type R, $580. Basically just an oil change and look-see. For my Audi, going to do it at an independent.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting. Previous cars I have owned (and still do) only had 100K replacement intervals (BMW, Acura, MB). New Audi recommended interval is 60K. I will do it at the next service (65K) for my 2014 D4 4.0T.