A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this be Oolong Grey metallic...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Could this be Oolong Grey metallic...

I really like this color and I don't believe it's Phantom Black. Looks to me like it's somewhere between Quartz Grey and Phantom Black. Love it!!!
Attached Images   
Old 09-15-2010, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Thank you for posting this, derfA8L.

I know it was a while ago, but it is indeed Oolong Grey, and this show car from Brussels is one of the few photos on the web at the moment of Oolong. My dealer has never seen this colour, but has given me the Audi sample which I have next to me. Your posted photo looks pretty accurate, although there is a faint blue hue which is coming from the lighting which I don't see in the colour swatch. I would describe it as charcoal grey, much closer to Phantom Black than Quartz. But there is a slight smokiness to the colour tone which is reminiscent of the flavour of Oolong tea, so perhaps the description is not all hyperbole!

I like it a lot as well, and am on the cusp of ordering an A7 in Oolong.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Glisse. Good to hear that it is Oolong Grey. I currently have Phantom Black, and while it's a great color, I was looking to do something a little different this time around. I wanted to stay on the dark side (so to speak), and go with something a bit lighter, but still maintain the character of a darker color, if that makes sense.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that's why there are so many variations on black this time round, customers love black.

When dropping mine off (again! but hopefully for the last time), I saw the 2 new demonstrators at my dealers (both 3.0 TDI units), one is a quartz grey and the other the emerald black. You have to see the car/sample in bright sunshine to appreciate the hint of green, but it is a lovely colour.

One colour that we are probably going with for a new Q7 is panther black. It's one of the standard colours available on the RS5, so we saw the sample at the weekend. It's black, but with a purple background. It's subtly distinctive, and something that will work with probably the A8 as well.

Nobody, absolutely nobody will have done that before (and it only works out about £900 extra for us).

I prefer havannah black of course ;-)
Old 09-15-2010, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jetinder
I think that's why there are so many variations on black this time round, customers love black.
You're right about the selection of black colors; I couldn't decide between staying with Phantom Black or going with either Havanna or Emerald Black---so I'll probably "punt" and order Oolong Grey. Besides liking the color, I like saying "Oolong" ;^)
Old 09-16-2010, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Audi produced a limited edition model of the D3 in Panther Black, with Goa Beige napa leather - which is almost a lemon yellow. I think it was called a Sports edition, or something like that. IIRC, Panther is a special type of paint treatment which has a wet look, i.e. highly reflective.

It looked great, but the thought of keeping it clean, especially on as much bodywork as a Q7 has, is a little scary.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch!

Hmmm, I guess the kids better grow up quick to help me clean it then :-)
Old 09-16-2010, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree that Oolong Grey is a good alternative to Phantom Black. I've had PB on the last two Audis and will wait to see this color on a car, but it looks like a perfect alternative.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oolong gray is lighter than it looks in this in this pic. it's like a richer, deeper, grayer, thicker, meteor gray. not bluish or blackish at all like it appears in this pic.

i see it on a tts everyday.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by myriadshalaks
oolong gray is lighter than it looks in this in this pic. it's like a richer, deeper, grayer, thicker, meteor gray. not bluish or blackish at all like it appears in this pic.

i see it on a tts everyday.
Does it show swirls like black or not, like Daytona Grey?

Quick Reply: Could this be Oolong Grey metallic...