A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 Owners Who Previously Owned D3's - What do you like / dislike about your D4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 07:59 PM
W12 Aficionado

Received 607 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
No umbrage intended, but it needed to be said
Oh I don’t mind, back and forth discussion is what it’s all about. Let’s be honest, we’re splitting hairs. These cars are ALL quite a bit nicer than the majority of stuff out there new or used even in base V6 form. The final year 2018 A8 will be 6 years old now so they’re all getting up in age. But some engines don’t mind age, my D2 has well over 200k, runs like a sewing machine. Some engines are more prone to issues though is all. The 4.0 does have carbon issues, but having to pull the motor to do anything about it means that most people will probably love with it

All the D4 engines are good and compared to a lot of stuff they’d be a huge upgrade. When you love a car though I understand wanting the replacement to not have any drawbacks and the throttle response on the D3 with either the 4.2 or W12 is excellent. The 4.0 without the mild hybrid that the D5 gets might leave a bit to be desired
Old 09-21-2023, 01:07 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 486 Likes on 387 Posts

Splitting hairs, yes. I guess it's just disappointing to hear my go-to transmission guru (Striker) complain about the ZF8. And again, I get the torque on demand thing, but I'm quite satisfied with the behavior of the drivetrain. If I wanted max torque and perfectly linear response, I'd have an electric car But then, this thread really isn't about comparing the Audi to other cars, so I'll just leave it at that.
Old 09-21-2023, 06:26 AM
W12 Aficionado

I think you and I have been around long enough to know that the HP8 is as close to faultless as a transmission gets. Every single generation of A8, starting with the V8 in the late 80s got a new transmission every time the new generation came out. I think the fact that this cycle broke with the HP8 speaks volumes

You can get an electric car, or you can, you know.. get a 12 cylinder you can always tell someone that’s never driven a 12 when their first remark on an electric car is power delivery (not directed toward you). But then again we’ve lived in the age where like 80% of cars are turbo 4 cylinders for a while now
Old 09-21-2023, 10:44 AM
Flagship addict

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
Splitting hairs, yes. I guess it's just disappointing to hear my go-to transmission guru (Striker) complain about the ZF8. And again, I get the torque on demand thing, but I'm quite satisfied with the behavior of the drivetrain. If I wanted max torque and perfectly linear response, I'd have an electric car But then, this thread really isn't about comparing the Audi to other cars, so I'll just leave it at that.
There is nothing at all wrong with the ZF8, the 4.0 simply has a lot more shifting occur than the W12. Still one of if not the best auto trans out there, I only noticed that the 4.0 would rather shift and bring boost vs the W12 that will stay in 8th for a 25-45 swell and have the same felt power.

A 12 legit feels like an EV that never stops pulling past 80/100 and is ALWAYS there. It's unlike anything I've ever driven. Even a 5.0 supercharged V8 has less instant reaction than one down low and in the midrange
Old 09-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Super-Duper User

Received 486 Likes on 387 Posts

Don't get me wrong; I've had half an eye on the Bentley turbo W12 for some time now... Maybe some day. But right now, the allure of 4.0 mods has me occupied.
Another thought... Perhaps the APR tune throttle response and the adaptation my drivetrain has acquired play a part in my perspective. It always seems to be in the correct gear with a fairly linear response... I dunno.

Last edited by A8L_New_England; 09-21-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts

The D3 was designed in a time where it had to be the best, by a long mile. It was a direct shot at BMW and MB.

The D4 was designed in a time when the consumer valued technology more then most anything else. So the car had to be great, but not the best.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy I cannot thank everyone enough for sharing their experiences here.

My favorite thing about the D3 is quiet and comfort and it sounds like that is a step down in the D4 without the Audi Design interior. I may have to get out there and drive all of the different engines and maybe even try a short wheelbase model. I also want to try an A8 W12 D3 and an S8 D3.

Adaptive cruise is something I don't have and would greatly appreciate and I understand that performs far better on the D4.

You have all given me a lot to think about! Wife wants a new kitchen and I just bought the kids some Jet Skis so I may just end up with a "Special D3". The S8 or the W12. My only complaint about the D3 is the slow shifting tranny. Amazing on the freeway but not the best for pulling out of my subdivision onto a 55MPH 4 lane road!

Can't say it enough, THANK YOU!
Old 09-22-2023, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2turbos4rings
The D3 is better in some important metrics, more comfortable seats, more refined feeling and sounding interior, a bit quieter on the road. The D3 is easily the looker between my D3 W12 and my D4 W12. I’m still surprised every time I look at them parked together how much better designed the D3 is.

The D4 lacks in feeling of solidity vs D3 but it is definitely more tech laden. Not much of it is important but some is: better massage, better fuel economy, better audio and better adaptive cruise. I also like the pano roof as well but the rest is honestly gimmicks, you decide whether those are important or not. The 4.0T is not the reliable choice and it’s less enjoyable around town than the 4.2. The TDI and W12 are great choices for driveability and reliability. Skip the 3.0 gas and 4.0T

If you’re considering a D5 then I recommend driving it to see how you feel. A lot of the austere bank vault of the D2 and D3 has returned and if you’re not interested in driving spiritedly you’ll like the road manners a lot more than the D4 and the hybrid drive makes even the V6 a better car around town

Do not be tempted by the A6, anything but a well optioned C8 A6 would be a downgrade from your D3 A8
I do like me a good "bank vault". I drove a friend's LS400 back in the day with the double paned glass and the "panning" vents and it was a floaty dream.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:04 AM
Flagship addict

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Gage
I do like me a good "bank vault". I drove a friend's LS400 back in the day with the double paned glass and the "panning" vents and it was a floaty dream.
The full spec D4 is better than any Lexus, a mid spec is not. My 4.0 is not as smooth and quiet as my LS460 but the W12 totally outclasses it. Both outdrive anything Lexus makes
Old 09-22-2023, 11:19 AM
W12 Aficionado

I just have a feeling you’d be pleased with an upscale D3. If you don’t have dual glazed glass or full leather in your current A8 that alone is a really nice upgrade. The D3 W12 has leather pack 3 as standard which means everything except the dash and top of the door cards is leather, though I would still look for the full leather. As well as standard acoustic glass and Alcantara headliner. D2 S8s are easy to find and some great deals can be had, the reliability is slightly dubious though, they need to be carbon cleaned and have some odd fueling and ignition issues. BUT if you find a good D3 S8 you’ll definitely enjoy it, with the V10 or W12 you won’t have trouble pulling out into traffic

For the D4 the design selection interiors are excellent, however all they are is a full leather package and Alcantara headliner/parcel shelf in special colors/upper inlays. A full leather package car in black, velvet/silk beige, titanium and nougat call all be had in full leather/Alcantara as well. The majority of D4 W12s are full leather

Quick Reply: D4 Owners Who Previously Owned D3's - What do you like / dislike about your D4?