A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 S8 4.0 TSFI Spark Plug and Coil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default D4 S8 4.0 TSFI Spark Plug and Coil Change

I have a 2015 S8 from Boston Mass, it's now in Delaware and I have an inspection light on. The dealer told me the big part of the 75k service which should have been done 4k miles ago is the spark plugs and I dont want them to go any longer without being changed out. I have asked 2 different shops other than the 1400.00 to do the service from Audi and no call back with price to do the service. The second place even went so far as saying that they have to be done in a certain order. I popped the hood and my engine looks nothing like any of the videos online or pics of anyone doing this. Has anyone any pictures of what to do?

I checked google and audiworld search engines and found a bunch of pics of old spark plugs but not much of where they went or how to get to them.

thanks in advance

Old 08-11-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

I haven't done it yet, and have AudiCare for my first one. But, figure for the same interval you should be doing the engine air filters on both sides. So, those air boxes--or rather the upper parts--are coming out. For those to come out, IIRC the frame braces that run over them come out on each side. Once you have dealt with the air boxes, I expect you will see a whole lot more space and access to get down to the coil packs and their connectors, and then the plugs.

For how to's on line, if you find anything 4.0 T you should be on the correct track, whether S8, S7, S6, or RS7. All will have the air box on one side, and then on S8 you just deal with it on both sides. It looks like there might be plug assess even with it in place, but I prefer to clear stuff like that out early when it is part of the job anyway. From W12 experience at 6 liters but no turbo, those air filters were already visibly dirty even at 20K miles, so to me a must do at the interval.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you see the coils in the pics I posted?
Old 08-11-2018, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am guessing they are all black on the 4.0 and not the pretty red.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PhillyVance
Do you see the coils in the pics I posted?
Yes. Using the bottom picture, I think they are just below the high pressure fuel pump--under the continuous black plastic cover with the four protrusions where the spark plugs are. I imagine that is a trim cover and under that the coil pack wiring and plugs and such.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

So looking at the engine the left side are odd banks 1,3,5,7 and the right are 2,4,6,and 8? Following the torque spec on the plug I should be able to pull all the left bank first and then the right bank last right? Would you change all the coils if your car had 80k and just save any good coils as spares for the future? Or leave the coils alone if the springs are good? As always I really appreciate your help MP4.2.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So looking at the engine the left side are odd banks 1,3,5,7 and the right are 2,4,6,and 8? Following the torque spec on the plug I should be able to pull all the left bank first and then the right bank last right? Would you change all the coils if your car had 80k and just save any good coils as spares for the future? Or leave the coils alone if the springs are good? As always I really appreciate your help MP4.2.
Variously...

No, plug order on Audis is front to back left (USA passenger) side and then front to back right side. On an Audi V8, bank 1 is left side and bank 2 right side. See 4.2 diagram below I found quickly. 4.0T is a derivative of it.

You can change plugs in any order. I typically just take a whole side out, then put new ones back.

Coil packs: I'm old enough to have grown up with early cars having an old fashioned coil, and even points. You didn't replace coil unless it plain died/didn't spark. I only change coil packs if I have a misfire, which usually turns on CEL and/or shows in a VCDS scan. With W12 I learned from another member that apparently sometimes you can also have very small leaks in them (that doesn't show as a CEL) which can cause on electrolytic reaction in the valve covers. Thus, if you see any metal erosion in valve covers, change them. My 4.2 ones went well past 150K, losing two along way. W12 ones are nearing 150K, with Audi doing a recall replace on all of them at less than 50K (and probably the leakage/erosion was related to that). Audi won't change mine at 35K, I don't plan to at 75K, and probably wouldn't at 115K absent issues either. They have dropped in price by about half since I first bought an Audi with them. But to me they have just become "plumbing" that usually just keeps working, like the air box housing or MAF.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-12-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

So you are just going to have the inspection service light reset and not change plugs or coils till you get a check light?
Old 08-12-2018, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So you are just going to have the inspection service light reset and not change plugs or coils till you get a check light?
No. AudiCare covers the 35K service. I'm at 22K. Right now all I do myself are "tweener" oil & filter changes at about 5,000 incremental miles--about halfway between theirs. Eventually with all the pre paid service (and probably CPO warranty) done, I will do the 75K service myself, including plugs, filters, oil change etc. I will not change coil packs (then or later) unless I get a misfire/code.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oil was changed, so I will get a cabin filter and spark plugs, check the intake filter, and be done with 75k service. I will figure out how to lubricate the doors later. My hoses look good, the brakes were just done and got brand new tires a couple weeks ago. I appreciate the help MP4.2.

Quick Reply: D4 S8 4.0 TSFI Spark Plug and Coil Change