A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D5 Active Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default D5 Active Air Suspension

This looks pretty cool. I wonder how much better it will be vs the current setup?

Audi announced Monday that the 2018 A8 luxury sedan will pack an active air suspension system that's linked to cameras outside the vehicle. These cameras map the road ahead, detecting bumps and potholes and adjusting the suspension's damping as the car crosses them. The process takes just a few milliseconds. The system is actuated using electric motors that are located at each wheel. The motors take advantage of the extra juice supplied by the A8's 48-volt mild hybrid system, which is included on every new A8. It can also mitigate pitches from acceleration and braking, as well as reducing body roll in curves.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...t-accordingly/

This Bose system is pretty neat too. Although I don't think it ever made into production.

Bose Active Suspension

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 07-10-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

If you believe this....

See more on this topic in this jump to a prior thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ering-2923046/
Old 07-10-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well in my dads 2016 s600 maybach it had the active suspension using the cameras and over bumps it is terrible...i feel like it doesn't help at all... however in curves it is awesome. Not sure if that is mainly the electromagnetic shocks but there is very minimal body roll compared to my s8 plus.

The active suspension that I'm really looking for is that body control... the whole thing with active suspension over bumps and potholes are overrated imo. The one in the s600 seems just as harsh over every type of hole.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
Well in my dads 2016 s600 maybach it had the active suspension using the cameras and over bumps it is terrible...i feel like it doesn't help at all... however in curves it is awesome. Not sure if that is mainly the electromagnetic shocks but there is very minimal body roll compared to my s8 plus.

The active suspension that I'm really looking for is that body control... the whole thing with active suspension over bumps and potholes are overrated imo. The one in the s600 seems just as harsh over every type of hole.
The current Maybach uses hydraulic shocks, not electromagnetic. There are a series of valves that regulate pressure to each individual shock. The incompressible nature of hydraulic oil means that it is a simple matter making sure the car stays completely level around tight corners, hard braking and accelerating, all without the use of antiroll bars. Interesting you don't like the system, all the reviews I've read positively faun over the suspension. Even without the cameras, my older CL600 with the active suspension rides about as well as my D4 did. Does your dad run around in sport mode all the time?
Old 07-10-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Too bad we can't have the Bose system. Then we can 'Dukes of Hazzard' over potholes. Pretty amazing what it did to that old LS400. The Lexus crowd were soiling themselves with the idea that they could have that one day...

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 07-10-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
The current Maybach uses hydraulic shocks, not electromagnetic. There are a series of valves that regulate pressure to each individual shock. The incompressible nature of hydraulic oil means that it is a simple matter making sure the car stays completely level around tight corners, hard braking and accelerating, all without the use of antiroll bars. Interesting you don't like the system, all the reviews I've read positively faun over the suspension. Even without the cameras, my older CL600 with the active suspension rides about as well as my D4 did. Does your dad run around in sport mode all the time?
i don't mean i dont like it but its not any smoother going over potholes than my s8 in comfort... but around curves it is awesome... somehow seems much better than our d4s. Overall i like the system just not as great as it seems in theory.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Upgrading the front and rear sway bars / bushings will help a lot with the body roll. Not sure if the they make kits for the S8. With the LS's I did the rears. I would think someone makes them.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
i don't mean i dont like it but its not any smoother going over potholes than my s8 in comfort... but around curves it is awesome... somehow seems much better than our d4s. Overall i like the system just not as great as it seems in theory.
Ah, I gotcha. I know my car handles great with that system, but the disconnect makes it hard to have confidence until you know the car well. Not that the S8 has a ton of feedback, either. The Mercedes smooths out small bumps very well, but I agree that the suspension doesn't do well with sharper bumps.