A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer overfilled oil on my S8

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Dealer overfilled oil on my S8

Just had the car serviced a couple of weeks ago.
Today sitting at a long light I checked the oil level on the MMI and the message says "Please reduce oil level".

I'm pretty pissed but keeping a level head.

I am not an automotive engineer but I do know overfilling oil is NOT good for the engine due to frothing of oil, poor oil pressure, and also bad for the CATS.

I do not have any symptoms as such, but going in tomorrow to get the oil properly done again - what should I be doing just to be sure that I haven't suffered damage?
Old 04-24-2017, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully this helps you. I have a dipstick in my 14 S8 for this very reason. The dipstick shows the oil at the very top of the full "bump" on the stick. It's not overfilled but I get the same message "reduce oil level" you get. If it's overfilled slightly, then you'll get the message. If it's overfilled by 3 quarts...you get the message. No way to tell without a stick which it is.

My guess is that its slightly overfilled which won't cause any harm. Best get a dipstick or have your dealer give you one for free when you bring it in overfilled. :-)
Old 04-24-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

That's unfortunate, hard to say what it could have done, depends on how much they overfilled it by. I would avoid any exuberance until it's sorted, though.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The first thing I purchased was a dip stick.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

yeah thanks guys. I am definitely going to do the dipstick mod.
I am definitely keeping a level head, but I do plan on letting my dealer know in writing that if I suffer any early engine issues or catalytic converter problems I will be holding them liable...
Old 04-24-2017, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

FWIW, sometimes the sensor unit is no good, so oil level is actually accurate. Said bluntly, I regard the oil sensors on all these cars--whatever make--as not reliable long term and more trouble than worth. Several posts on Q5 board over the years of sensor saying it needs a quart, then another, then another...until car gets towed when owner finally asks us after ridiculous extra amounts of oil added, etc. Saw them fail on a friend's Merc., which had erratic filling and unsettling messages for quite a while before he bought it.

Solution looking for a problem.

You might press dealer too exactly how they changed the oil, if level indeed off. Could be an uncomfortable conversation... To again be pointed, some chance they cheated. In particular, filter on an S8/4.0T is directly under motor and no choice but to pull belly pan to get at it. But if in fact they cheated (as in, fraud...) and did not actually change filter, it could explain the overfill. Dealers are using oil pumps these days out the dipstick hole for other motors. For example, I recently changed the oil on my Q5 with filter up top and found the oil drain plug had never been removed as of 45,000 miles--still had the factory paint on it. Tells me they are pumping oil out top and accessing high mounted filter during AudiCare service. But on a 4.0T/S8, that doesn't make a lot of sense and if no filter change, is fraudulent. Also ask them indirectly if oil level is indeed off--how did it get that way?? (Dis)Honestly, most likely explanation is the drain through oil dipstick hole where some extra old oil stays in pan. The reason I say that is I think their fill approach is with a hose and calibrated valve/nozzle that they set for how much oil to put in, which should have been dialed in for specific motor. Unless the unit is broken or was set for wrong motor, not a logical reason issue arose there.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-24-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the electronic oil indicator noting that my oil is at the minimum level. I planned on adding some, but based on the commentary regarding accuracy of the monitor I am not so sure I should proceed. I am a few months away from my next scheduled oil change.

I searched the forums for answers for a dipstick part number for an 2012 A8L 4.2L engine, and did not find anything. Does anybody have dipstick part number that would work and a link for purchasing.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by bfairban001
I have the electronic oil indicator noting that my oil is at the minimum level. I planned on adding some, but based on the commentary regarding accuracy of the monitor I am not so sure I should proceed. I am a few months away from my next scheduled oil change.

I searched the forums for answers for a dipstick part number for an 2012 A8L 4.2L engine, and did not find anything. Does anybody have dipstick part number that would work and a link for purchasing.

Thanks.
No guaranties, but since the S8 4.0T # I first ferreted out and then posted itself came from a 4.2, probably what you are looking for.

If you are using AW search feature, frankly you are probably wasting your time. Point Google at AW instead and put a few search limiters in to get it directed to this board for most hits--D4, A8, etc.

Any parts like these--at least if newer and not via eBay/junkyards--typically come from dealers for Audis. Several dealers with web sites sell at a discount, and for Audi branded parts are usually cheaper in my experience than the indy ones reselling dealer parts.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

ECS tuning has dipsticks. Here is the link to their site.

www.ecstuning.com