A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exchange 21" 5 spoke S8 wheels for 20"

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 588 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
Right I'm only looking for forged and none of that cheap aftermarket crap either...I've bought sets at 800 before and they bend after first pothole.

I guess s8 pluses are different than s8 with tire pressure...mine has sensors built on and displays tire pressure on mmi

Cool on the sensors and display for pressures and such. That's the first confirmation on the board AFAIK that it is indeed there, and not just with the dynamic package.

What type of color/finish are you looking for among the choices out there I mentioned in last reply?

Unlike BMW wheels BTW as an example that you and others have noted, Audi wheels are generally tough across the board. Given quattro Audi's have generally been heavier than BMWs from the RWD days, so Audi has probably known to beef them up for a lot of years now. What then happens though are the Audi weights go up noticeably in cast to maintain the strength. Thus, wheels on your S8, and mine to start: 35.4 pound per wheel. Lightest forged OE 20--the twin 7--which I run now: 28.0. Another D4 wheel I got a weight in in the double 5 spoke cast in 20: 31.4. So just dropping form your 21 cast to a 20 cast can be 4 pounds per corner, and down to lightest forged, over 7 pounds a corner. You can go up a few pounds on tires with the higher sidewalls, though in my case going from the 21 Dunlops mine had to the Conti DW's pulled out another pound or so; both 275's.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you plan on tracking the car and really care about flying around corners I would easily give up some width for additional sidewall. A 35 is like a rock. Of course you can easily bend a rim. 45's as I mentioned are not too bad. I'm running the stock procontatcts but will probably switch to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 100V. It actually best all season / cruise tire. According to CR Reports. Beat Michelin in the V series for first place. Lot of guys rave about them on the Lexus forums. Also a decent non forged aftermarket rim, if you have a sidewall, is not going to bend, imo. I have never bent a rim and it's because I refuse to run less then a 45.

It's interesting. Looking at the generations of the LS, from 16" wheels they started with on the 400, then 17 or 18's on the 430, then the 19's on up with the LS460. As the wheels got bigger the suspension became less reliable. And not cheap repairs that are not part of the cpo. At least the air struts. The 460 was and somewhat still is burning through control arms like pro. And it's got 4 per side... I got over 140k miles on my 430's air suspension without issues. Pretty impressive. 460's and the 600 tend to see air issues often around 50 - 80 thousand miles.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 03-11-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
Unless you plan on tracking the car and really care about flying around corners I would easily give up some width for additional sidewall. A 35 is like a rock. Of course you can easily bend a rim. 45's as I mentioned are not too bad. I'm running the stock procontatcts but will probably switch to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 100V. It actually best all season / crushing tire. According to CR Reports. Beat Michelin in the V series for first place. Lot of guys rave about them on the Lexus forums. Also a decent non forged aftermarket rim, if you have a sidewall, is not going to bend, imo. I have never bent a rim and it's because I refuse to run less then a 45.

It's interesting. Looking at the generations of the LS, from 16" wheels they started with on the 400, then 17 or 18's on the 430, then the 19's on up with the LS460. As the wheels got bigger the suspension became less reliable. And not cheap repairs that are not part of the cpo. At least the air struts. The 460 was and somewhat still is burning through control arms like pro. And it's got 4 per side... I got over 140k miles on my 430's air suspension without issues. Pretty impressive.
yeah i would mind a 19" or even a 20"...i just dont wanna run these dunlops and i dont have much choice here with 21s

and yeah the pirelli cinturato a/s p7 pluses are what i wanted to run from the get go...looking at reviews on tirerack seems like these are the ultimate quiet tires....and in this quiet *** car that is the only thing im hearing are the tires
Old 03-11-2017, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

P7's and the MXM4's are my favorites. Those who don't get snow I can understand running a softer summer tire. They suck in ice and snow though.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
P7's and the MXM4's are my favorites. Those who don't get snow I can understand running a softer summer tire. They suck in ice and snow though.
well i have the mxm4's on my genesis and i am not a fan...if the p7s are anything like these then i dont want to get them...the conti dws 06s might be a good compromise
Old 03-11-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 588 Likes on 493 Posts

Are the Dunlops on yours marked Noise Shield on sidewall? Should be as near new, but there are two flavors of them.

Conti DWS06 are what are on mine now--my 6 months overwintering experiment in lieu of dedicated winters. Then back to my Conti DW summers. All 275/40-20. Make sure in looking at wheels you cross check to tire availability. Both 19s and 21's have more limited choices in general--if you head toward the 275's. You give up some on a 255 from my D3 experience. Can find the DWS06's in a the 275/45-19 though, but then back to the Audi wheels that go with that are cast and probably not top style choices anyway. Also be careful if you go anywhere with this in that many Audi 19's are not 9" wide and/or don't have great offsets for the D4.

I sense your drift here if thinking thru tires is then to go separate wheel set from tire choice. A fair # of D4 19 take off wheels may also have H rated tires, which I just wouldn't put on an S8. Wouldn't even be allowed to in Europe.

Still no answer on my question about type of finish. I don't get sense there is a clear spec in here so far w/ tires, size and then finish all TBD.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Cool on the sensors and display for pressures and such. That's the first confirmation on the board AFAIK that it is indeed there, and not just with the dynamic package.
It's about time that Audi put a REAL tire pressure monitoring system in the S8 instead of the cheap mickey mouse indirect measurement system that mine has that doesn't give you individual tire pressure readings but just compares wheel speed using the ABS sensors. A couple of days ago I hit a major pothole and blew out the sidewall on the front left and the TPMS didn't even go off! By the time I got home (fortunately only a few miles) the tire was completely flat and still no warning from the TPMS. I had the dealer check the system when they changed the tire and they said it was functioning properly--just a wonderful system.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a good aftermarket set and save your OEM 21s. Those are not cheap and maybe of value on your resale / trade in.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located? I have a mint set of OEM 20" wheels that come with the 4.0t sport package (also know as peelers)
Old 03-14-2017, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ayrula
Where are you located? I have a mint set of OEM 20" wheels that come with the 4.0t sport package (also know as peelers)
I'm in Northern Virginia

Quick Reply: Exchange 21" 5 spoke S8 wheels for 20"