A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Indicator...range calculation error

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Indicator...range calculation error

Has anyone experienced this?

I have an 2015 A8, 4.0T. Lately, last 4 or so fill-ups of fuel, the fuel indicator does not immediately register as "full" (all lights) and the calculated range is not what it is when the fuel reads full. It's as if the fuel sensor is reacting slowly to the increase in fuel in the tank.

It takes 20 to 30 miles of driving, over a couple of different engine on-off cycles for the fuel to read full.

I am taking it in for service, but was curious if anyone else had experienced this.

TIA
Old 10-11-2016, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Never saw that in 2 1/2 years with my D4.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I've seen it once in a pre-owned one at work. Don't know what the fix was though.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Same experience...

Yes, currently experiencing exactly the same thing in my 2015 S8. Started in last month or two, at only about 6K miles. Yes, takes 30 miles or so for it to come back to reading accurately, and then it is fine for rest of tank down to E. First I thought I didn't get it full, but by second or third tank it was obviously systematic. I think the tank level sensor has gotten some kind of deposits on it and probably needs to be replaced.

It is on the punch list along with several other electrical and electronic glitches for next service visit.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am taking my A8 in tomorrow morning...will post what they do to fix.

The service guy said they have had software issues when I spoke to him about it on the phone.

We will see...

Someone else posted about this in another thread, but I am also feeling some engine vibration they're gonna look at...

I have 27,676 miles on mine...
Old 10-11-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had mine in for this problem. Dealer speak is "it is a recognized software problem and Audi is working on it." I'm taking my S8 in for 25,000 mile service next week and told them this morning I want it fixed. On mine it also sets a check engine light.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update:

So I took the car in (had made an appointment) on Tuesday. This was the Jim Ellis Audi dealership service center on Peachtree Parkway. I was told when I got there:

* We only have a few people that are qualified to work on the A8.

* They would need the car 2 to 3 days to diagnose the fuel indicator issue.

* Asked if I could come back next week, because they were still working on cars brought in last week.

I asked him why someone did not tell me these things the day before, so that both theirs and my time wasn't wasted? He shrugged and said he did not know.

So, now I have to drop it off Monday (11/17) and leave it for 2 to 3 days. It was extremely irritating.

One thing that has never happened to me before is to call and make an appointment for service, and then be told when I got there that they did not have anyone to work on my car.

And 2 to 3 days to work on a fuel indicator issue???? Really?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

That isn't right. Yes, only some techs can work on at least some parts of D bodies. Fuel systems though are frankly quite Audi generic--pumps all pretty standardized commodity, sensor set up, location, etc.

If anything, D body service for me is much more white glove, and definitely not "take a number." Back to back of C5 and then D3 W12 bought from same dealer over time (and C5 was new), pretty obvious. Even basic Dale Carnegie training would have told them take your car in, get you in a decent loaner, and then call you later with an "update" that parts ordered. Or certainly, pre cal if something went wrong at dealer, weather issues, etc. From thread you can already tell gauge issue apparently isn't novel, so their pre existing in service training, TSB's or hotline probably are telling them what to do. Thread is suggesting it may be software, though on mine since it first worked and then not so well, I still suspect some kind of deposits or metallic/fuel incompatibility problem.

The one thing I do actually already do myself is try to anticipate and time. If it is any work likely to involve parts ordering or heavy diagnostics and/or labor, I pick an early in week appointment if not an emergency. I'll do a Thurs/Fri type slot only for breakdowns, follow on appoints to install a previously ordered part or routine service. Unless that is perhaps I need space of an SUV (and can get one), or headed to mountains or something. Then picking an end of week is likely a ticket to keeping the loaner thru weekend.

Whatever dealership you land at, try to know service advisor. He/she is your most likely ticket to satisfaction--or frustration. Even better, if new to dealership snout around on regional boards and such. For a reasonable volume one like mine (Rector in SF Bay Area), you can find posts on several boards that get down to first names of people who come recommended. Yelp might actually have some of that kind of stuff too, though maybe less enthusiast/brand knowledgable than many Audi boards.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-14-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So now it's working again...

I filled up on the way home today, and as soon as I started the car the fuel indicator was fully illuminated, and range indicator read "470"
Old 10-14-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For those having problems with the gauge not returning to FULL after filling up, does this ever set a Check Engine Light for you?

My S8 is going in for 25,000 mi service Wednesday and this issue is on the list of things for them to address. However, I expect them to again tell me it is a software issue.

I don't think it is software. Mine didn't start this problem until after I had to have my gas tank replaced because of a puncture. I think my check engine light is because they either damaged the sensor when reinstalling it or reinstalled it incorrectly and that is what is causing my check engine light.

Please post if you are also getting a Check Engine light with this issue.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fuel Indicator...range calculation error