A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Google Earth nav overlay not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 05:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Known issue. They are upgrading the services for the older vehicles. They are hoping to be done with it on Monday according to Audi connect support.
Did you get this information from Audi connect on the phone? Just to be clear here's the issue I'm having. When I start my car, the navigation takes a few minutes to load Google Earth maps. Once it loads, after about a second, a screen pops up saying "Google Earth map is being restarted. Would you like to view the standard map display?" with options to select "Yes" or "No".

If I select "No', a screen pops up with the Audi rings, the Google earth logo, and an image of the globe, and it says "Please wait..." The Google logo on the bottom of the screen that indicates loading will light up about to the "l" in "Google", but never seems to finish loading.

I checked that I still have internet, and I do. I can still get weather info on Audi Connect, so it's not a problem with the SIM card.

My car is a 2013 B8.5 S4

Is this the same issue that others are having? And Audi told you they're working on it?

Thanks!

Rob
Old 10-16-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The post by Superswiss is pretty clear as to the issue and what he was told.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by rtmeikle
Did you get this information from Audi connect on the phone? Just to be clear here's the issue I'm having. When I start my car, the navigation takes a few minutes to load Google Earth maps. Once it loads, after about a second, a screen pops up saying "Google Earth map is being restarted. Would you like to view the standard map display?" with options to select "Yes" or "No".

If I select "No', a screen pops up with the Audi rings, the Google earth logo, and an image of the globe, and it says "Please wait..." The Google logo on the bottom of the screen that indicates loading will light up about to the "l" in "Google", but never seems to finish loading.

I checked that I still have internet, and I do. I can still get weather info on Audi Connect, so it's not a problem with the SIM card.

My car is a 2013 B8.5 S4

Is this the same issue that others are having? And Audi told you they're working on it?

Thanks!

Rob
Yes, that's exactly how mine behaves and yes, I've been told on the phone that they know about it and it's due to them performing an upgrade of the backend services.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, that's exactly how mine behaves and yes, I've been told on the phone that they know about it and it's due to them performing an upgrade of the backend services.
Thanks! Glad to know it's not something with my MMI, since my warranty JUST expired a couple months ago. I'll update this thread if/when it starts working again.

Rob
Old 10-16-2017, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default same here

Thanks so much for posting. I’m having the exact same issue. Good to know it’s happening to others as well.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Seems like it's going to take a few more days based on the chat session I just had with Audi:

System said:

An online assistant will be with you shortly.

Penny W said:

Hello! My name is Penny W. How can I help you?

Duke Brown said:

I'm having a problem with Google maps on my 2013 A8L. I keep getting an error saying it's reseting and it won't load the maps.

Penny W said:

I do understand. At this time Google is performing a maintenance on their servers.

Penny W said:

This concern should resolve itself with in the next 2-3 days.

Duke Brown said:

Ok thank you. I'm happy there is nothing wrong with my car. Have a good evening.

Penny W said:

You as well. Thank you for chatting with us today1
Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice thanks! I was road tripping from Orlando back to Destin here in FL when I got this issue... I was fiddling with this for about an hour! Rebooting, switching map views... I was connecting to everything else, but not maps! Drove me nuts!
Old 10-17-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same issue in the UK

It must be a global problem as I’ve hand the same issue since Sunday 15th 😞
Old 10-17-2017, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Google earth

There is problem since 14.10.2017 .. from Slovenia. GE restarting all over...
Old 10-18-2017, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This morning:
2015 Allroad

Quick Reply: Google Earth nav overlay not working