A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How reliable are these Audi's after 100k? Do they become money pits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How reliable are these Audi's after 100k? Do they become money pits?

Just purchased a silver 2011 Audi A8L with 125k miles for around $14k. I drove it home about 500 miles without issues and the vehicle history on Carfax showed no accidents and had 3 previous owners. Am I a chump and paid to much with those miles?

I don't see many posts from members with these cars above 100k so I would like to get input on their experiences also with these cars above 100k.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Jason-

I'm not above 100 yet but I've had mine for the last 40k miles and just now at 100k.

It has been extraordinarily reliable from an engine standpoint. One small coolant leak and an occasional O2 sensor alert. Suspension bushings need some attention but easy to find parts for these online.

Because you're looking at the 4.2 V8, you can also extrapolate some of the previous generations reliability with that drivetrain. Many examples with 250k+ miles.

I'm hooked on my car and love it. Been very happy to have a naturally aspirated motor!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

+1

i loved the 4.2 engine in my D3. Never a problem in over 100,000 miles. Mike
Old 05-30-2019, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

4 of my Audi's, purchased from new, have done over 125k without needing anything beyond maintenance. One was an S8 fwiw (2004). My current "beater" A4 has 158k on it. First true repair money was spent 8 weeks ago via a new thermostat. Runs great, consisten 31

Getting a car at that mileage is going to all come down to how it was taken care of for the first 124999 miles

Last edited by SCarGuy; 05-30-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am considering a Audi A8 with over 100k in another post and I also had a concern about repairs. Good to see others have good experiences.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice guys, makes me feel better knowing these cars can go up to these miles and be reliable at least when it comes to the engine/transmission. I was looking at the Lexus LS and Buick Lacrosse but there is something about the A8 that I just love.

I figured the control arms and bushings were due based on lurking here, anything else that is commonly going to fail in these A8'?
Old 06-01-2019, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd love to sell mine but couldn't do that to another forum member. Are they great cars when working properly, you bet they are awesome, but they are plagued with common issues, some large and some small. 139,000 miles on mine now and I wish someone would steal it. I'm to the point I about can't take it anymore. It's no where as reliable as the 2005 A6 Sport Pack 4.2 I ran to 195,000 miles and got totaled with a deer hit.

I've had all the common problems and issues you come across when reading about over the years on the forum. Now the electronics are starting to freak out on me again, and this is after having all the valves replaced and updated already and going thru situation of anti freeze making its way thru the wiring harness once before already.

After these two Audi's we own now are done and buried, I'll never own another Audi or VW again! I wished I'd have never purchased the A8 I have now and would never recommend one to a friend. If one of my family was going to purchase one, I'd tell them to run the other way. My $.02 anyway after going thru all the miles I've put on and the years I've had it.

Last edited by KnappAttack; 06-01-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by KnappAttack
I'd love to sell mine but couldn't do that to another forum member. Are they great cars when working properly, you bet they are awesome, but they are plagued with common issues, some large and some small. 139,000 miles on mine now and I wish someone would steal it. I'm to the point I about can't take it anymore. It's no where as reliable as the 2005 A6 Sport Pack 4.2 I ran to 195,000 miles and got totaled with a deer hit.

I've had all the common problems and issues you come across when reading about over the years on the forum. Now the electronics are starting to freak out on me again, and this is after having all the valves replaced and updated already and going thru situation of anti freeze making its way thru the wiring harness once before already.

After these two Audi's we own now are done and buried, I'll never own another Audi or VW again! I wished I'd have never purchased the A8 I have now and would never recommend one to a friend. If one of my family was going to purchase one, I'd tell them to run the other way. My $.02 anyway after going thru all the miles I've put on and the years I've had it.
I have had a similar experience. Once you pass the 9 year/130k mile mark these cars get very needy.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KnappAttack

Wow thanks for the information it is good to hear the negatives too especially at 130k. If you had all the common problems from this forum then I hope you had a warranty. You have two A8 Audi's with a lot of problems?
Old 06-02-2019, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default high miles

About to turn 140K on my 2015 S8 (yes, I drive a lot of miles). The car has been remarkably reliable, thanks in part to 75% highway miles). First time every I purchased an extended warranty, good to 125K in this case. Had I not had the extended warranty I would have spent about $3.5K in repairs or about the same as the extended warranty cost (air suspension air bags, trunk lid motor). Otherwise maintenance and self inflicted wounds (curb rash, scraped a door on a post) has been all. I've had a lot of fine saloons, name the brand; Maserati, Jag, MB, BMW, Porsche, but nothing has really been close to the S8. Best car I've ever owned. It is still feels like a new car - never kept a car anywhere near this long.

Quick Reply: How reliable are these Audi's after 100k? Do they become money pits?