A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove sticker residual glue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove sticker residual glue

My used car dealer defaced my beautiful 2014 A8 with a dealership sticker. It was very hard to get it off, using WD40 and Goof Off. But even after several attempts to get the surface clean, there is still residual glue left on my rear trunk.

Any ideas on how to get this residual glue off without damaging the paint?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Still Goof Off. Use edge of fingernail if needed, with goof off applied to area as you do it. Similar to tire wheel weights where you finesse between two and goof off on rag won't quite do it. If logo on trunk lid, open if necessary to get it flat and get on ladder to reach. That is works better if the adhesive area is kind of sitting in a bit of solvent as you work fingernail back and forth. How I do inside of wheel tape weights. If needed also can use blow dryer or heat gun (low/gentle) to warm up glue some.

Another choice is 3M adhesive remover. Stronger, but a body shop type thing. Sold at some paint stores probably; I get from West Marine if you are anywhere near water and one of there stores.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes Goof Off. Tried Goo Gone, WD 40, turpentine, varsol, etc. Still need to work it but so far Goof Off the best.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

probably need to get it detailed with a clay bar maybe. Who the fudge would put a sticker on your TRUNK?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by frybear
Who the fudge would put a sticker on your TRUNK?!?!?!?!?!?
+1. At least most dealers now use a cheap license plate holder to tag their cars. Once I received my car. That was the first thing removed.

I have had the best luck with Goo Gone. I removed a PA state inspection sticker (second thing I removed) fairly easy. I did have to use my thumbnail to get the final bits of glue residue removed.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
+1. At least most dealers now use a cheap license plate holder to tag their cars. Once I received my car. That was the first thing removed.

I have had the best luck with Goo Gone. I removed a PA state inspection sticker (second thing I removed) fairly easy. I did have to use my thumbnail to get the final bits of glue residue removed.

Good luck.
I was able to get the glue off with some vigorous use of Goof Off, but unfortunately I now have to deal with swirl marks. Being a novice at detailing, what is the best product to blend off the swirl marks?
Old 08-23-2016, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about heat from a hair dryer or something?
Old 08-23-2016, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Every time I buy a car and before I sign on any piece of paper, I give the dealer instructions not to put any kind of dealer sticker on it. They may install a plate frame with their dealership info (I end up tossing those out once I get home) but that's all they can do to it. I make sure the sales contract states no dealer sticker otherwise the deal is off.

Some dealers have the gall to nickel and dime you when you buy a car and then put on a sticker effectively defacing your car and hoping you give them free advertising. They need to GTH!
Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Luckily o don't have any decals , but wanting to remove all the airbag warnings from sun visors. I'm hoping there's been no fading surrounding the areas that will show where decal was. Anyone have this issue. Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread. There's was one law decal on back window. It's been removed but am going to try goo gone and razor blade for edge glue. I realize a razor isn't practical on painted surfaces. .
Old 08-23-2016, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never seen a sticker on the paint before on an Audi. I do though remove all badging when I get any car - I do leave the rings though, would look really stupid without those but the A8 and 4.0 or 3.0 have to go. Think I've done it on every car since I owned an Acura 12 years ago. I just like a cleaner look. I did have an A6 about 10 years ago that I added quad tips to, for the S6 look and thought about putting on an FS6 badge - fake S6. thought it would be funny

Quick Reply: How to remove sticker residual glue