A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interested ion a s8 what do i need to know

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interested ion a s8 what do i need to know

I am looking at an s8, (2013). I currently drive a 2005 sti which I love in the snow ( wisconsin) but is starting to rust.
What are the potential issues and major services that I need to be aware of ? How is this car in the snow? Will I look forward to driving it whenever we have fresh snow, will the donuts be just as fun as the sti?

Thanx
Jordan
Old 03-05-2019, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You need to look forward to:

From what I can see, they are good car just few issues: turbo replacement, PVC valve replacement.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Haha going from a rusty 05 GTI to a D4 S8 is gonna be one sick upgrade. I went from a 13 focus ST to a 14 S8 and it was crazy enough
Old 03-05-2019, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Welcome.

Best advice to get up to speed is read board back a few pages/a couple of weeks. In the threads you will get a fair sense of what is up with used D4's and S8's specifically. Obviously members here will have more of an enthusiast flavor as well as those who pay more attention to their cars. Relative to Subies, realize it is a heavy car at +/-4500 lbs but still really fast, and sleeper plush rather than stand out more raucous and rattly. A lot pricier to maintain, which goes with any higher end German ride. Best to get a warranty or know how to wrench on Audi type rides. Subaru and true Audi quattro (longitudinal) are among the best, and yet more so with the sport diff that is std. on S8's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-06-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm also new to Audi, and the S8, and I live in WI, and I came from a small car (though even less capable than a subie). It is a monster, and it's nearly impossible to get everything out of the car, it always has more to give- I can't imagine adding a tune🤯. Winter driving is awesome. I haven't needed a plow for anything this season, and we've had some snow this year😉. However, it is a big car, so momentum can sneak up on you- winter tires are a necessity. I also keep toying with the idea of selling (want a 2015 s8?), but then I realize everything else out there is at least 2-3 classes inferior. I drove an sq5 for the last week and I was even starting to get used to it, then I got my baby back- I'm not sure how else to say it, the s8 is unparalleled. Lastly, maintenance can cost a little more than I was ready for. It probably wouldn't be bad to have a 5-10k repair fund set aside, just in case🤷*♂️.

I'm SE WI, west of Milwaukee. Where are you?
Old 03-06-2019, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RJdelo
I'm also new to Audi, and the S8, and I live in WI, and I came from a small car (though even less capable than a subie). It is a monster, and it's nearly impossible to get everything out of the car, it always has more to give- I can't imagine adding a tune🤯. Winter driving is awesome. I haven't needed a plow for anything this season, and we've had some snow this year😉. However, it is a big car, so momentum can sneak up on you- winter tires are a necessity. I also keep toying with the idea of selling (want a 2015 s8?), but then I realize everything else out there is at least 2-3 classes inferior. I drove an sq5 for the last week and I was even starting to get used to it, then I got my baby back- I'm not sure how else to say it, the s8 is unparalleled. Lastly, maintenance can cost a little more than I was ready for. It probably wouldn't be bad to have a 5-10k repair fund set aside, just in case🤷*♂️.

I'm SE WI, west of Milwaukee. Where are you?
Those last 2 emojis got a little messed up... Not sure how confused woman/male symbol apply... Oops
Old 03-06-2019, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Didn't mean to turn this isn't 3 comments- but- sleeper is an understatement. Nobody knows what it is. It never gets a second look no matter where I drive. To me, this is a welcome feature, the less attention the better
Old 03-06-2019, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had a number of highest-end sporty type saloons; Maserati, BMW, Jaguar, MB, etc. Now have 131K miles on my 2015 S8. It is, for my use and taste, easily the finest car I've ever owned. I've never kept a car this long but its been pretty much care free (I do drive 80% highway miles). The B&O sound system is fantastic. Chipped it to somewhere between 650 and 700 hp. Its a thrill ride and the ultimate sleeper. Bought mine new, but used ones can be had for a song - making it about the most value per dollar I can imagine if that is the type of a car you want. Can[t speak to driving it in the snow, the car lives in Palm Springs in the winter. After this four years the seats show show no sign of wear and the leather dash is still like new.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kbrookings
I've had a number of highest-end sporty type saloons; Maserati, BMW, Jaguar, MB, etc. Now have 131K miles on my 2015 S8. It is, for my use and taste, easily the finest car I've ever owned. I've never kept a car this long but its been pretty much care free (I do drive 80% highway miles). The B&O sound system is fantastic. Chipped it to somewhere between 650 and 700 hp. Its a thrill ride and the ultimate sleeper. Bought mine new, but used ones can be had for a song - making it about the most value per dollar I can imagine if that is the type of a car you want. Can[t speak to driving it in the snow, the car lives in Palm Springs in the winter. After this four years the seats show show no sign of wear and the leather dash is still like new.
Thanks for this reply! Reading this site (or any enthusiast site) puts a magnifying glass on the negatives of any given car. It's nice to hear a "success story." 130k with a tune is awesome. BTW, who's ship did you use? APR? The car is unrivaled, especially at the discounts they are at a few years old now.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,170 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by RJdelo
Thanks for this reply! Reading this site (or any enthusiast site) puts a magnifying glass on the negatives of any given car. It's nice to hear a "success story." 130k with a tune is awesome. BTW, who's ship did you use? APR? The car is unrivaled, especially at the discounts they are at a few years old now.
APR or bust for ease of use, octane change settings, and driveability.
My LWB fully loaded with massaging seats (all 4) ripped off an 11.71 in the 1/4 mile on 100 octane.
No one will know and you can put the butthurt on nearly any car on the highway in 93 octane mode. Creeps up on brand new BMW M4s at full throttle and they have no idea what happened.
With cylinder deactivation and decent rubber it will get 25+ MPG on the highway at 70mph or more. Winter tires are a must as folks said, nearly 5K pounds and it is not agile in the snow but has lots of traction so you won't get stuck.
Look out for regular things like suspension bushing wear (above 60K miles). Twin turbos can be an issue with oil starvation but if looking at low miles get one and do the turbo oil inlet screen replacement. PCV valve is buried but it is a break fix deal no need to do pre-emptively.

Other than high repair bills if something complicated goes wrong, it is an incredible car. It will eat tires and brakes since it's powerful and heavy. Other than that it rides like a dream and is one hell of a sleeper.
There are plenty of reviews on it, but the build quality is second to none. Also helps if you have a reputable german mechanic, as the dealer can get expensive. Remember all the driver assist features make alignment, and camera adjustment more expensive (but worth IMHO).

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: interested ion a s8 what do i need to know