A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lap Timer function

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Lap Timer function

Well, for the book end to the standard cylinder on demand display (COD) for the efficiency side of the brain, I got the lap timer function working for the fun side, plus yet more data. D4 (S8) specific pics I took are at very end of this post--below the A6 video I found showing a pretty close approximation in action and not just static.

To set it up permanently, it's a simple check a box or two thing in long coding in VCDS in the Instrument module (17). Maybe it has been posted on here before; my searches yielded sort of fragments scattered across different models on AW and other sites. More on Audizine actually about it is some respects, which is a pretty dead site for the D4s and 3's. Better for my Q5.

The lap timer function displays the oil temp, lap timers and digital speed. Somewhat redundant on speed if you have the heads up display, but no worries either. A lot of people seems to think from the posts I searched that somehow they don't have coding right for oil pressure display. Others point out it needs to be warmed up. What I have found in just a few leisurely runs so far is it comes on when oil reaches about 165F. About the same time the tach redline moves up from the 5400 range to the 6400 range. Then it shows. Also, my water temp gauge rises in first 5 min and only a mile to the 4 bars mid point in mild CA weather. It took 15+ minutes of leisurely driving from (not very) cold start to get it to 165 indicated on the oil. Definitely good to see oil temp on its own merit, especially on a high performance turbo. I've already noticed the S8 is an energetic after run fan user even in mild weather. Way more than my D3 W12 even though by the nature of where I live or most places I go, my car tends to get a gentle drive for at least a few minutes pre-shut down.

The boost gauge is not a true gauge with numbers. It is just an escalating bar that wraps the tach at the extreme left of the center display. But it definitely responds/shows when you start you put your foot in it. Call it about mid throttle where I got some movement with it. I found if I put it in manual mode and shifted up to force RPM's lower I could get a rise out of it w/ out car running away instantly S8 style. Also, if you don't have your foot somewhat in it (or are just idling), all it says is Boost in the modest font size and no other display. That seems to throw people off too about whether they coded it right, more so because many seem to expect the boost is going to be displayed numerically--like a P3Cars gauge or something. I have the P3 add in Q5--especially since Hybrid has no tach--but it is not available for D bodies so far anyway. Second picture below shows how D4 inst. panel looks when just idling. I had a lap counter running just to get the picture w/ out more things to push.

See this You Tube video from apparently a 2013 A6 for what it more or less looks like. I haven't seen the center segmented green bar under the speed display that runs across yet, but I haven't really been on it either with so so weather. That is a visual representation of the higher part of the rev. range if you watch the video and hear the motor.

Lap counter can take 50 timers so it has lots of capacity. I finally just kept pushing the left steering wheel controls scroll wheel until it ran out of laps; I thought maybe it would be 5 or 10, then 20. Nope, 50. All controlled by the left steering controls and in the same Car menu once you enable it as stuff like the COD display and the trip computer screens. It just adds another screen basically.

First pic I snapped below with a little boost action showing--bar starting to rise. I saw more action than that, but had to pay attention to driving given 4.0T thrust. Also note that I enable the drive gear display selection in D (not just S). The YouTube video above obviously shows the spirited driving stuff.

This page and its video (or text) instructions were as good as any for a how-to. Audi laptimer, oil temp., boost gauge activation - mr-fix.info For those not familiar with VCDS or coding, you can see it really isn't black magic or overly difficult once you get just a bit of familiarity with interface. As always, take a full scan of your car before touching anything--every module. I now snap before and after phone pics of the screens too just to remember what I was doing real time or I need to back out of something without more tediously comparing long scans.
Attached Images   

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-10-2016 at 09:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MP4.2+6.0:
09S5 (01-14-2023), Shield (01-31-2021)
Old 03-11-2016, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm planning to enable it as soon as I meet someone with cable to do this.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally enabled Lap Timer and can see oil temp. Didn't play with Lap Timer itself, as it was done only yesterday.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tried to do this on my 2011 a8 and i can see the lap timer on instrument cluster but i cant select it or anything, any input pls

thanks
Old 09-03-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

how do you reset the lap timer? also how do you get the the shift points? I have 2014 A6 3.0TFSI
I obviously have the timer enabled but am on lap 15 and can't figure how to reset it.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Scroll until you see reset.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by the_duke
The scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Scroll until you see reset.
unbelievable, lol. Thanks, I was scrolling and must have missed it. Do you know how to get the shift bar?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for the information!
I did the same set up on my 2018 S8 Plus. But I don't know why, the gear shift indicator won't show up in the screen when I put it into M mode.
Do you know what's wrong with my car?
Thank you!
Old 12-11-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by JackCheung
Thank you for the information!
I did the same set up on my 2018 S8 Plus. But I don't know why, the gear shift indicator won't show up in the screen when I put it into M mode.
Do you know what's wrong with my car?
Thank you!
Off hand no, but have you done the mod to show the gear generally--whether in D, S or E (if you enable efficiency mode)? Search for VCDS mods generally for those.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

@MP4.2+6.0 I have a 2017 A8L 4.0. My top RPM 6K but not 6.5K like yours. Is that only an S8 option or did you customize it?
Also when my car is cold the top RPM is 5.5K and will change to 6K when it reaches normal temp. Is that Normal?

Quick Reply: Lap Timer function