A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late for the party but moving on up: 2015 Daytona Grey + Vermont Brown S8 CPO

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Late for the party but moving on up: 2015 Daytona Grey + Vermont Brown S8 CPO

Coming on board. Dual citizenship for now, with 2006 D3 W12 I have owned CPO for 9 years and 105K of its 120K miles on my watch. Plus, wife's 2013 Q5 Hybrid.

I got the D4 last Saturday. 2015 S8 very low miles CPO. Daytona Grey with the Vermont Brown Exclusive interior and carbon twill trim. In plain English, "fully loaded." More details + photos below. Very cool even for my 30+ years of Audi rides, last several higher end. Similar to my W12 reactions back in 2007.

Still have 2006 D3 W12 at 120K well maintained miles as I put on last touches like new brakes before getting it on market. Maybe you remember I poked at S8 Plus in late fall. DerfA8L posted the then newest 2016 Order Guide when I quietly asked about a new one. That confirmed my suspicion it was coming. I had just seen a 2016 "regular" S8 at the local showroom with essentially same interior and exterior spec to what I bought CPO (pre-Plus), but for 30% less via CPO route. That dealer visit is also when I first picked up the Plus was in the pipeline pre-Audi USA announce.

"New" one: 2015 CPO S8, sub-3200 miles at delivery, Daytona Grey with Vermont Brown Exclusive interior. I think of it as a really well done sport successor in spirit to the classic D3 Amaretto interior, commonly found in that era W12 with black exterior. Seeing it is when I got renewed interest in D4; Balbao Brown didn't really do it for me. Every "regular" extra option on the one I went with, including the Night Vision, plus the now std. heads up display. Sold order option only for Night Vision. Thus B&0, Exclusive full leather, Cold Weather, all the driving and comfort goodies and electronics.

History/others considered: It was one of only three listed regardless exterior paint choice in that interior that I found recently in the country, and I saw and drove two of them. A fourth one sold quickly. Two of the four looked like former Audi of America exec cars given Michigan starting point. Mine was the only one sold new by same dealer that later CPO'ed it instead of getting one at auction. Story checked out that first buyer was a now much older retired exec and found it was "way too much car." Your post millennium version of the classic old school, once-a-week-on Sunday's, senior citizen profile driving it to church.

What became a great yet subtle picture that put the sale over the top for me is reproduced below. I realized in dealer's on line pics that the trip computer was never reset. Odometer miles were only about 35 higher than trip computer miles I could see. So I had the salesman send me a shot of the trip computer full screen. Notice the average lifetime speed of 15 MPH; over 200 hours. Not sure this ride ever saw full 0-60 let alone anything remotely like launch control. The proverbial church car. Crap MPG's it shows were a little scary after W12 real world, but I knew 15 MPH was low compared to my typical low to mid 20's in non-road trip suburbia. Drive home from LA area confirmed 25-26 MPG plus of comfortable cruising--Pacific Coast Highway (1 aka "PCH") and 101. Frankly as good as we see in the Hybrid on open road and a whole lot more fun let alone ponies. Absolute best I ever pulled on W12--interestingly on Santa Barbara trip on same highway at similar time of year--was 22 MPG when car was young.Note to other CPO possible buyers: see what gems trip computer history may yield!

The Vermont Brown only came out in 2015 w/ facelift, so my spec was very tight. S8 exclusive, along with the (much more common) S8 Daytona Grey pearl paint. Wasn't picky on wheels--20's, 21's, whatever color as long as not way dark. Spec was yet tighter trying to get to a non-black exterior. Along the way, most all other colors grew on me, from white to dark blue and various grays, and I could have done the metallic blacks if the car was otherwise spot on. Coming late to party in D4 lifecycle, I wanted D4 facelift for both the nice tweaks and the styling, plus the later in model run with kinks ironed out. I also wanted fuel savings stuff like cylinder on demand. I was separately surfing for D4 W12's again for a year +, but there the spec was also tight: 2015+ for C.O.D. on W12, not a black interior, 5 seater and B&0. Only one ever got close but it was cross country and no B&0. 80% of W12's seem to be black on black and another 80%+ four seaters, so pretty unobtainium. D4 W12's seem pretty eclipsed and hardly found now compared to S8--or really W12's now general performance equal with much better gas manners, the 4.0T. As a now empty nester I was also ready to move to SWB this time. W12 held its own with S8 in D3's depending on buyer preferences (and wallet), but looks like not so much on D4. Next gen W12 they have shown does look more interesting for D5.

The other two remaining S8's with Vermont Brown package were 10K higher miles and no Night Vision, and the second local one was the one with the front bumper coming off and crap wheel refinish issues (though new tires) I posted some about last week without naming names. I did the whole deal over phone, FaceTime car walkaround and e mail before I flew down to validate condition in person and close it. Audi Newport Beach in greater L.A. area (Orange County). They did a nice job. Salesman was professional, straight up, easy to work with and upper tier among many I have come upon over the years, including some very seasoned ones who know the bus. and buyers. First time I used web a lot on front end. In parallel I was doing that on a few other D4's and separately on current Golf R for kicks. A few contacts that at first were basically blind like this one stood out better. They price matched the one local to me but with fewer miles, another unusual option, stronger history and near perfect cosmetics. Good sales approach that got the deal for both of us.

Only possible other options were the almost gone-from-the-Order Guide, one-offs like solar roof (which I don't like for moon roof type use or reliability) and sport exhaust. No 2015 S8 on market (any color, any interior) that I am aware of (mostly used Autotrader, some Car Guru's) even has the sport exhaust, and on 2016's it only showed up again in the Order Guide as a possible Plus option.

A few informal pics below. Mostly post 400 mile drive. Anything odd you see is just weather related or bug splat post drive. You can also see a lot of decent shots if you look on Audi USA web site for the 2015 facelift announce: https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/med...8w12-media-kit That's another good resource for CPO buyers, especially from facelift forward.
Attached Images       

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-08-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default You sly devil...

...knew you were into a deal with that last flurry of 2015 inquiry posts.

That's one beautiful S8. Daytona is a terrific color for the D4 silhouette IMO. The interior is awesome, and I love the carbon twill inlays.

I have reason to believe that you will enjoy that car for a while ahead of any D5 launch---since I'm hearing some rumble that the next gen D5 may be delayed about 6-months in North America....so instead of being released in Fall'17 as a MY 2018, it's very possible that Audi is going off script and not adhering to past historical model cycle time tables, and this time around launching the D5 in 2nd Quarter 2018 as a MY 2019. If that's true, your new ride's depreciation curve will flatten out a bit and will be keeping a higher value longer than you may have expected. If the rumors are accurate, you got a "win-win" my good man!!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Old 03-08-2016, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gorgeous S8!! congrats!
Old 03-08-2016, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

That's a fantastic looking ride. Like the interior color and the Daytona exterior has been one of my favorites for many years. BTW, the engine bay without the faux plastics looks far better the way you photographed it Enjoy!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Spec'd out how I would want it, too...You've made me quite envious. Enjoy the ride, and congratulations!
Old 03-09-2016, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, congratulations! Did the car come with the engine cover or did you take it off?
Old 03-09-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Beautiful car... Sure is much nicer with

Price comparable Tesla.

Congrats,

Louis
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Coming on board. Dual citizenship for now, with 2006 D3 W12 I have owned CPO for 9 years and 105K of its 120K miles on my watch. Plus, wife's 2013 Q5 Hybrid.

I got the D4 last Saturday. 2015 S8 very low miles CPO. Daytona Grey with the Vermont Brown Exclusive interior and carbon twill trim. In plain English, "fully loaded." More details + photos below. Very cool even for my 30+ years of Audi rides, last several higher end. Similar to my W12 reactions back in 2007.

Still have 2006 D3 W12 at 120K well maintained miles as I put on last touches like new brakes before getting it on market. Maybe you remember I poked at S8 Plus in late fall. DerfA8L posted the then newest 2016 Order Guide when I quietly asked about a new one. That confirmed my suspicion it was coming. I had just seen a 2016 "regular" S8 at the local showroom with essentially same interior and exterior spec to what I bought CPO (pre-Plus), but for 30% less via CPO route. That dealer visit is also when I first picked up the Plus was in the pipeline pre-Audi USA announce.

"New" one: 2015 CPO S8, sub-3200 miles at delivery, Daytona Grey with Vermont Brown Exclusive interior. I think of it as a really well done sport successor in spirit to the classic D3 Amaretto interior, commonly found in that era W12 with black exterior. Seeing it is when I got renewed interest in D4; Balbao Brown didn't really do it for me. Every "regular" extra option on the one I went with, including the Night Vision, plus the now std. heads up display. Sold order option only for Night Vision. Thus B&0, Exclusive full leather, Cold Weather, all the driving and comfort goodies and electronics.

History/others considered: It was one of only three listed regardless exterior paint choice in that interior that I found recently in the country, and I saw and drove two of them. A fourth one sold quickly. Two of the four looked like former Audi of America exec cars given Michigan starting point. Mine was the only one sold new by same dealer that later CPO'ed it instead of getting one at auction. Story checked out that first buyer was a now much older retired exec and found it was "way too much car." Your post millennium version of the classic old school, once-a-week-on Sunday's, senior citizen profile driving it to church.

What became a great yet subtle picture that put the sale over the top for me is reproduced below. I realized in dealer's on line pics that the trip computer was never reset. Odometer miles were only about 35 higher than trip computer miles I could see. So I had the salesman send me a shot of the trip computer full screen. Notice the average lifetime speed of 15 MPH; over 200 hours. Not sure this ride ever saw full 0-60 let alone anything remotely like launch control. The proverbial church car. Crap MPG's it shows were a little scary after W12 real world, but I knew 15 MPH was low compared to my typical low to mid 20's in non-road trip suburbia. Drive home from LA area confirmed 25-26 MPG plus of comfortable cruising--Pacific Coast Highway (1 aka "PCH") and 101. Frankly as good as we see in the Hybrid on open road and a whole lot more fun let alone ponies. Absolute best I ever pulled on W12--interestingly on Santa Barbara trip on same highway at similar time of year--was 22 MPG when car was young.Note to other CPO possible buyers: see what gems trip computer history may yield!

The Vermont Brown only came out in 2015 w/ facelift, so my spec was very tight. S8 exclusive, along with the (much more common) S8 Daytona Grey pearl paint. Wasn't picky on wheels--20's, 21's, whatever color as long as not way dark. Spec was yet tighter trying to get to a non-black exterior. Along the way, most all other colors grew on me, from white to dark blue and various grays, and I could have done the metallic blacks if the car was otherwise spot on. Coming late to party in D4 lifecycle, I wanted D4 facelift for both the nice tweaks and the styling, plus the later in model run with kinks ironed out. I also wanted fuel savings stuff like cylinder on demand. I was separately surfing for D4 W12's again for a year +, but there the spec was also tight: 2015+ for C.O.D. on W12, not a black interior, 5 seater and B&0. Only one ever got close but it was cross country and no B&0. 80% of W12's seem to be black on black and another 80%+ four seaters, so pretty unobtainium. D4 W12's seem pretty eclipsed and hardly found now compared to S8--or really W12's now general performance equal with much better gas manners, the 4.0T. As a now empty nester I was also ready to move to SWB this time. W12 held its own with S8 in D3's depending on buyer preferences (and wallet), but looks like not so much on D4. Next gen W12 they have shown does look more interesting for D5.

The other two remaining S8's with Vermont Brown package were 10K higher miles and no Night Vision, and the second local one was the one with the front bumper coming off and crap wheel refinish issues (though new tires) I posted some about last week without naming names. I did the whole deal over phone, FaceTime car walkaround and e mail before I flew down to validate condition in person and close it. Audi Newport Beach in greater L.A. area (Orange County). They did a nice job. Salesman was professional, straight up, easy to work with and upper tier among many I have come upon over the years, including some very seasoned ones who know the bus. and buyers. First time I used web a lot on front end. In parallel I was doing that on a few other D4's and separately on current Golf R for kicks. A few contacts that at first were basically blind like this one stood out better. They price matched the one local to me but with fewer miles, another unusual option, stronger history and near perfect cosmetics. Good sales approach that got the deal for both of us.

Only possible other options were the almost gone-from-the-Order Guide, one-offs like solar roof (which I don't like for moon roof type use or reliability) and sport exhaust. No 2015 S8 on market (any color, any interior) that I am aware of (mostly used Autotrader, some Car Guru's) even has the sport exhaust, and on 2016's it only showed up again in the Order Guide as a possible Plus option.

A few informal pics below. Mostly post 400 mile drive. Anything odd you see is just weather related or bug splat post drive. You can also see a lot of decent shots if you look on Audi USA web site for the 2015 facelift announce: https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/med...8w12-media-kit That's another good resource for CPO buyers, especially from facelift forward.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by triniexr
Nice, congratulations! Did the car come with the engine cover or did you take it off?
Took it off for about two minutes in a parking lot. Pulls up (and installs) in seconds with no tools. Same as Q5 2.0T one we also have. BUT, there is a lot of heat insulation on the underside of the back half where the turbos are. I would not want to run it without cover unless I needed some fried eggs at the campground fresh off the hood. Not...
Old 03-09-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you all who have checked in so far. Enjoying the ride as I dial in all the settings and get used to the feel in day to day local conditions. Strong initial impressions.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club. Its a great car.

Quick Reply: Late for the party but moving on up: 2015 Daytona Grey + Vermont Brown S8 CPO