A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might be time to sell the Audi...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 402 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
Resist I think you know it won't work.
Fwiw, according to Car and Driver, the Tesla has less passenger space than your S8, and they hated the high speed handling on earlier models.
Plus I keep reading about the horrible build quality issues. It seems you either have a GREAT Tesla experience or you have one of the vehicles with big problems. With all that said, the Plaid's performance is unmatched and I am really excited about the prospect of getting an EV. As I said in my other post response, I am prepared for the Model S to disappoint me (acceleration aside) and make it easy to walk away from it.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by OberklasseA8
Rent a Plaid on Turo for 3-4 days over a weekend, and do your lifestyle. See if it works for you. When in Rome, I only charge at superchargers, you would install a charger at home, I am guessing? That's a big piece of the convenience equation. Remember, the faster you drive, the more power it uses. No just letting off the gas at 120 and maintaining speed. The juice burn is noticeable, from 70 to 80 to 90mph cruising.. I dont wait in lines to charge and dont like to waste time so super charging is always on my mind..
That's a great idea and I'm going to look into it now, thanks! Yes, I would certainly have a charger installed at home and wake up every morning with a "full tank of gas" so to speak. I realize my range will be impacted by my speed, but I drive so little nowadays it might not matter that much. I have only put 150 miles on the loaner car over the last ten days. Granted I drive my wife's SUV when I can, but you still get the idea. If we do go on a long trip, we can either drive the EV and plan accordingly or take her SUV.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:34 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

Long trip?
Too many long trip EV horror stories!
The following users liked this post:
DallasDave (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 10:32 AM
W12 Aficionado

Received 613 Likes on 410 Posts

The Taycan isn’t a cheap car, you’re coming from an S8 though which wasn’t exactly the last word in reliability. I’ve been keeping an eye on the forums and talking to some owners and the consensus seems to be that outside of some early software glitches they’re solid

Do yourself a favor after you get out of that S, get directly into a Taycan or even take the S to Porsche for your test drive so you get that stark fresh comparison. One is a toy, the other is a car put together with decades of expertise in creating some very lustworthy cars that are both high strung and really reliable

More food for thought is the experience with Porsche is a pretty good jump from Audi. Many dealers offer perks that lesser brands don’t. It’s small stuff but it’s really thoughtful details. Like storing winter or summer wheels for free, valet service that drops you off at the airport and stores your car while you’re gone then picks you up again, ability to ‘rent’ a different model, you can also get free or discounted memberships to race circuits and track days and discounts with detailers and such, etc etc. You could save some coin going CPO, they give 2 years and unlimited mileage. The factory is 4 years and 50k which stays with the car of course

Theres a nice CPO 4S near you, $99k. 2022 with 4k miles. Basically brand new, $40k off sticker. Has a handful of options. Sadly no Burmeister or Chrono pack
d--- (10-21-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow, thank you so much for the information. If I do move forward with purchasing a new car, I will make sure and test drive the Porsche. I just got back from my Tesla Model S test drive and don't know what to think. The car is so different than anything else I have driven that it didn't feel "natural". That will probably go away after many miles/days of ownership but don't know if I want to subject myself to such a departure. My initial impression is that the center display is too distracting and it's silly to have buttons on the steering wheel for turn signals and functions like the horn, lol. I sat in the back seat to get a feel for leg room, etc. As someone mentioned, my S8 is more comfortable in the rear (and it's the short wheelbase). Plus I couldn't get the rear display to work. When I returned the car, I mentioned it to the staff and they responded, "oh yeah that happens, it just needs to be reset again...". What?!

My Audi rides better and is quieter (I do have the Michelin AS4 with the acoustic foam inserts). I have heard people describe driving a Tesla is like driving a video game and I totally agree. Almost EVERYTHING is in the center screen: AC adjustments, steering wheel position, etc. I just need to let this "sink in" for a while. With luck, my car will be ready later today or tomorrow.
d--- (10-21-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
Long trip?
Too many long trip EV horror stories!
That's a scary article, thanks for sharing. I believe the Tesla charging experience will be much different than most others, but appreciate what the article states. If I did move forward with the Model S, it wouldn't be used for long trips. The most I would ask for it in one journey would be about 200 miles each way. The 2023 Model S Plaid has a posted range of ~386 miles.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:06 PM
Flagship addict

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts

That 386 is best case, when I borrowed my neighbors plaid I got around 200 since I actually drive cars vs never use their power. Range nosedives badly at speed, opposite of what I'm used to.....

Im used to getting much better mpg/range at speed and accept I'll lose a lot when moving slow. However around me traffic and slow are the rate conditions and areas where you can go 15-40 over are the common ones
DallasDave (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Striker2237
Can I have your brakes when you sell lol?
It's a shame you are not closer, as I'd consider it. None of the trade in quotes seem to care that my car has the upgraded brakes...it was never asked or mentioned in the summary. Would it be a straight swamp, like easy as a regular brake job?
Old 10-19-2023, 05:13 PM
W12 Aficionado

Received 613 Likes on 410 Posts

Striker, I had dibs before you even owned an Audi lol. Exhibit A from 3 years and 9 months ago

The following 2 users liked this post by 2turbos4rings:
DallasDave (10-20-2023), Paladin-S8 (10-27-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 06:41 PM
Flagship addict

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
It's a shame you are not closer, as I'd consider it. None of the trade in quotes seem to care that my car has the upgraded brakes...it was never asked or mentioned in the summary. Would it be a straight swamp, like easy as a regular brake job?
I will literally drive out and swap the brakes off my car onto yours on site and hand you $1000.

Quick Reply: Might be time to sell the Audi...