A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI sim added for data only, how to use bluetooth as telephone connection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI sim added for data only, how to use bluetooth as telephone connection?

Hi, due Iphone data connection with MMI is not possible, I added SIM with data and tekephone connection to slot in dash. How I am able to still use SIM only for data and my Iphone as telephone via BT? Now Iphone is only phone book... Is there somewhere where I can make priority selection, or do I have to change my SIM without telephone option?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,067 Likes on 741 Posts

You just pair your iPhone via BT and then when you make a call from the MMI it should go through your phone over BT. The internal SIM should only be used for the Audi Connect data connection. I'm not aware of the MMI being able to make voice calls on its own w/o a paired phone. Are you saying that if you power off your phone, you can still make a voice call from the MMI? In what country are you located? Now I know the MMI supports the rSAP profile, which allows it to impersonate the paired phone and make voice calls directly by borrowing the SIM from your phone, but the iPhone doesn't implement rSAP, so that can't be it.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:26 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
You just pair your iPhone via BT and then when you make a call from the MMI it should go through your phone over BT. The internal SIM should only be used for the Audi Connect data connection. I'm not aware of the MMI being able to make voice calls on its own w/o a paired phone. Are you saying that if you power off your phone, you can still make a voice call from the MMI? In what country are you located? Now I know the MMI supports the rSAP profile, which allows it to impersonate the paired phone and make voice calls directly by borrowing the SIM from your phone, but the iPhone doesn't implement rSAP, so that can't be it.
Not sure how it varies from model years and specs but my car/mmi calls on its own, the connection and quality of the calls are so much better compared to using a bt connection to the iphone, particularly on the highway and at higher speeds or in rural areas. This is because of the external antenna that the car/mmi uses.
The car will sync your call lists and directory with your iphone if you tell it too so its quite convenient to manage your iphone call traffic once you enter the car and start to use the phone feature in the car.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A 8
Not sure how it varies from model years and specs but my car/mmi calls on its own, the connection and quality of the calls are so much better compared to using a bt connection to the iphone, particularly on the highway and at higher speeds or in rural areas. This is because of the external antenna that the car/mmi uses.
The car will sync your call lists and directory with your iphone if you tell it too so its quite convenient to manage your iphone call traffic once you enter the car and start to use the phone feature in the car.
I'm wondering how that works. What number shows up on the caller ID of people you call? The number assigned to your car's SIM or your iPhone? What you describe is basically how rSAP works, but iOS doesn't implement rSAP. But if it did, the MMI would disable the iPhone and access the SIM over BT, but then use the car's built-in in cellular module and the external antenna to make calls.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

iphone acts as contact book only, no possibility to connect as hands free at all when SIM is in... BT settings sows iphone handsfree only in gray color. I have to check, is there MMI update for it. My car is 2012 model "germany" but now located in Finland
Old 08-30-2014, 11:29 PM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

I'm wondering how that works. What number shows up on the caller ID of people you call? The number assigned to your car's SIM or your iPhone? What you describe is basically how rSAP works, but iOS doesn't implement rSAP. But if it did, the MMI would disable the iPhone and access the SIM over BT, but then use the car's built-in in cellular module and the external antenna to make calls.
Its the car 's phone and number that is used and I am only getting the iphone's address list and call history into the mmi/carphone. You still have the handsfree if you want but the iphone is not involved in the call.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A 8
Its the car 's phone and number that is used and I am only getting the iphone's address list and call history into the mmi/carphone. You still have the handsfree if you want but the iphone is not involved in the call.
That makes sense now. However, that would be rather undesired to me. That's like so 1990s when folks actually had a "car phone". I don't want a separate number for when I'm in the car. I'm wondering if this behavior is unique to the A8 or a European spec thing. The SIM card in my car is only provisioned for data. It doesn't have a voice service subscription. I'm wondering if the above behavior is triggered if you insert a SIM that is provisioned for data and voice.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:48 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

That makes sense now. However, that would be rather undesired to me. That's like so 1990s when folks actually had a "car phone". I don't want a separate number for when I'm in the car. I'm wondering if this behavior is unique to the A8 or a European spec thing. The SIM card in my car is only provisioned for data. It doesn't have a voice service subscription. I'm wondering if the above behavior is triggered if you insert a SIM that is provisioned for data and voice.
Agreed it being a bit 90s (you still get the recent call list) but beyond a BT connection I don't know of any current cell technology that would support anything else so I think any car would have similar restraints.
If the telecom industry would fully embrace internet technology it would be possible to keep the transition seamless from your Iphone to your car but I think they are still protecting their current revenue streams so until they can't anymore it will likely stay the way it is.
You would probably have more success getting the car mfg's to include skype type tech support in the cars but then you would rely on the cars internet connection which where I live (one of the world best connected countries) is not good enough for a call @ 100mph for more than 3 minutes.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this sounds bizarre. why would you even use the cars sim if you dont subscribe to its data service. bt should easily pair and then use your phone for calls. its painless. but in my ex infiniti the iphone would scramble the contact list into gibberish every few days due to an apple implementation of bt which was slightly non standard. no problems at all with android
Old 09-09-2014, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Now I changed that my SIM supports only data connection. But still I am not able to pair my iPhone at the same time as a hands free? Any idea what I am doing wrongly?

Quick Reply: MMI sim added for data only, how to use bluetooth as telephone connection?