A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More CPO S8 than S6 in the used market.....???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More CPO S8 than S6 in the used market.....???

I made the mistake of checking out a 2017 S8 at the local showroom and now I am starting to get the itch....lol

So, I started to check the used/CPO S8s and it seems there are a lot available within 100 mile radius of my zip code...I think I counted 8 of them.

Whereas there are only 2 S6s available in the same area. Does anyone have any stats on the S6 sales vs S8 sales? Does Audi really sale more S8s than S6s? Or is this just coincidence? I am in the Northeast (CT/NY/MA).

Most of the 2015-2016 CPO S8s are still out of price range ($85-$90k), but it doesn't hurt to start tracking their prices now and maybe I might be able to afford one in another 12-18 months.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

I dont have the specific build info, but doesn't surprise me. Probably more S6's built and sold. But D4 (S8) is near end of model run, so folks may be exiting leases to different models and freeing up cars. Or the Tesla trades, or... Also w facelift for 2015, some of the short leases may also be running out + dealers may be exiting any house cars and the like. D5 is still a while in coming, both announce and then shipments. But dealers know behind scenes of course what the general model change schedule is, and presumably tightly manage for inventory risk since used price tends to move down noticeably as model change over occurs.

Yes, time is on your side here for a late model D4. C7's aren't great value holders long term either, but they aren't as close to end of their current model life and appeal to somewhat younger demographic. Basically on Audis my experience is the bigger the model the more the value falls like a rock in later years. Typical luxobarge and here you can get a great ride that is both extremely fast and luxurious at more compelling prices.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-24-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Aren't both the S6 and S8 get completely new design in 2018?

I believe 2017 is their last model year on the current design/platform?
Old 09-24-2016, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by thehaviet
Aren't both the S6 and S8 get completely new design in 2018?

I believe 2017 is their last model year on the current design/platform?
D4 apparently got pushed back some w/ TDI fiasco, but D body has led for both D3 and D4, and then they trickle down new innovations to C body. Not logical marketing wise to do the other way and try to call D body the "flagship" and try to upsell in first year or so of new D design. C "7.5" recent rev that was after 2015 D4 refresh is another clue on order. In turn 2017 D4 specs now fully available shows they didn't make the ".5" changes to MMI and such they did to C body, another clue C7.5 will soldier on somewhat longer. At another more granular level, next gen MMI (not just virtual dash or CarPlay) and more autonomous also being signaled for next D body. I haven't seen a recent release calendar--especially post TDI--but that order is my prior sense. If derf checks in by chance, he seems to have good info or scuttlebutt on state of play on model intros.

On one hand Audi is trying to do more frequent intros to keep market interest and w/ competitive pressures, but TDI mess re-leveled a lot of capital spend and other plans. D5 work was already well underway though by the time the TDI fraud got fully outed. It may be marginal delta too, since you also will see them do a very short run of old design into a new model year (call it 2018's here) and then do a Spring intro of new one and call it next model year. Like Q7 pattern as recent example.

For reading tea leaves on D body, watch for an early discontinuation of W12 and maybe S8. That would tell you it is down to a short window. What they did on D3 in 2009, followed by a short 2010 D3 4.2 run for North America, then an early model year intro of D4. Euro market launch and announcements of course precede this. Some of the "Sport" trim changes they have already done are another clue to me (costs little from parts bin but gets some market interest) time is getting short on D4. Same sort of thing happened in 2010 D3's with their S8 trunk lids and such.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-24-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am sure you gave lots of insightful information there. Sorry, I am not quite sure I was able to follow everything.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's somewhat anecdotal but here on the west coast there were hardly any CPO S8's for sale in the last 3 months or so, while plenty of S6's. If anything, it's very likely coincidental that there are more S8's for sale in your region now.

Audi doesn't report S model sales separately but if you look at 2014 numbers the A/S6 outsold the A/S8(L) by almost 5:1 so pretty sure there are way more S6's on the road than S8's.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by thehaviet
I made the mistake of checking out a 2017 S8 at the local showroom and now I am starting to get the itch....lol

So, I started to check the used/CPO S8s and it seems there are a lot available within 100 mile radius of my zip code...I think I counted 8 of them.

Whereas there are only 2 S6s available in the same area. Does anyone have any stats on the S6 sales vs S8 sales? Does Audi really sale more S8s than S6s? Or is this just coincidence? I am in the Northeast (CT/NY/MA).

Most of the 2015-2016 CPO S8s are still out of price range ($85-$90k), but it doesn't hurt to start tracking their prices now and maybe I might be able to afford one in another 12-18 months.
So, were you considering an S6 or just an observation?
Old 09-25-2016, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
So, were you considering an S6 or just an observation?

I am considering both....though S8 is the #1 choice....S6 if there are financial constraints, or if an amazing deal present itself.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are more S8s lately because owners are trading them for S8 Plus.
End of production but there are no real alternatives for a luxury "driver" out there, I tried or owned most of them and decided to return to Audi after 15 years with AMG and M.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I test drove a 2016 S6 a couple of months ago, and I liked it. The only thing that even put it on my radar screen was the discontinuation of the NWB D4. The S6 was similar in wheel base and length to my D3 SWB, and not too much heavier. The S6 now has the air suspension which, I believe, is similar to the D4 suspension, and it has the turbo V8.

My driving focus is primarily back roads, where my sport option SWB D3 feels good, and I was likewise satisfied with the feel of the S6.

When the opportunity presents itself, I will, of course, test drive an S8 if for no other reason than it gets me into my preferred shorter wheel base, although the weight has gotten up there. I have spent a lot of years in a D2 and D3, and I must admit that I have become addicted to the interior of the A8.

Some reality comes into play; when I could, it was my practice to build the new car the way I wanted it, and then keep it for at least ten years. That pays off in my mind. (I still own a 911 which I bought new and built over thirty one years ago). But if actuarial tables are to be believed, maybe that's not the way for me to go anymore; I saw an S8 on the lot a few months ago listed at over $150,000, and it didn't even have the Exclusive interior! The S6 listed new for about half that.

There comes a point where the price is an insult.

Mike

Quick Reply: More CPO S8 than S6 in the used market.....???