A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most common issues on a 2011 Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Most common issues on a 2011 Audi A8

Hi all,
Just took delivery of a 2011 Audi A8 (CPO) with 41000 miles. Can owners advice me on any potential issues that I need to look into?

I am trying to find as many issues as possible for Audi dealership to fix since it is still under warranty.

Thanks in advance.
Anthony
Old 03-16-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Initially, a wobbly driver's seat which I finally fixed myself and currently a knobby - thumping noise in the left front suspension area on rough surfaces. Another is a harsh upshift from first to second after a rolling stop and only when the car is cold. The latter two have stumped the service department at the dealership. Regardless of the model year, the seat - easy entry memory positioning is faulty about 50% of the time in not returning the seat and steering wheel to correct position. To get around that, adjust everything where you want it, push a memory button, then the OFF button and leave off. Works 100% then. I was told it was working as designed. When it's all said, these are very minor annoyances on an otherwise fantastic car.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Drcha6,
Funny cause I also felt the wobbly driver seat. How do you fix it?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 03-17-2014, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Anthony,
I bought 2011 A8L brand new and have had many issues. Last week I got the "CLICKING sound" fixed in the dash board on the left side of the steering wheel. They had to replace a brake part and insulate it.

Before that I've had problems with air bag sign coming off on drivers side when I am driving (took 3 visits and a part from Germany to fix this).

Small one but lighter fuse in the front had to be changed.

A couple of times the heater stopped working and would blow cold air. They found a lose separate plastic part inside the A/C system.

Had to update MMI because if the CD is playing and you switch to Radio and then go back to the CD, the CD will not play. Its working now.

The shifting is more heavier. New A7, A6 and A4s shift better than A8. If you do floor it, A8 will fly but from complete stop it takes more pressure to first start the car (not a problem but I would prefer a quick start).

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by antmay
Hi all,
Just took delivery of a 2011 Audi A8 (CPO) with 41000 miles. Can owners advice me on any potential issues that I need to look into?

I am trying to find as many issues as possible for Audi dealership to fix since it is still under warranty.

Thanks in advance.
Anthony
Old 03-17-2014, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bbshah
Hi Anthony,
I bought 2011 A8L brand new and have had many issues. Last week I got the "CLICKING sound" fixed in the dash board on the left side of the steering wheel. They had to replace a brake part and insulate it.

Before that I've had problems with air bag sign coming off on drivers side when I am driving (took 3 visits and a part from Germany to fix this).

Small one but lighter fuse in the front had to be changed.

A couple of times the heater stopped working and would blow cold air. They found a lose separate plastic part inside the A/C system.

Had to update MMI because if the CD is playing and you switch to Radio and then go back to the CD, the CD will not play. Its working now.

The shifting is more heavier. New A7, A6 and A4s shift better than A8. If you do floor it, A8 will fly but from complete stop it takes more pressure to first start the car (not a problem but I would prefer a quick start).

Hope this helps.
Hi bbshah,
Thanks for your insight. I will write it all down.

Anthony
Old 03-17-2014, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by antmay
Hi Drcha6,
Funny cause I also felt the wobbly driver seat. How do you fix it?

Thanks,
Anthony
Actually fairly simple. You'll need a T50 Torx drive and a fiber washer about one inch in diameter with a half inch hole and approximately one sixteenth inch thick. Got mine at Home Depot in the miscellaneous hardware drawers. Raise the seat all the way up and on the right rear "leg" just above the floor track are two silver T50 bolts holding down a clamp plate. Remove the plate and you'll see two washers bonded to its inner surface. The problem is they aren't thick enough. I used a bit of grease to hold the new washer centered over the rear most bonded washer on the clamp. Installation is the reverse but make sure the washer doesn't shift and the small tension spring that's mounted on the clamp fits atop a small track on the leg part. You can't mess it up; if the spring isn't correct, the plate won't go on. You'll enjoy a solid seat.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had problems with the shifting on my 2011 A8. Gearbox warning light would come on randomly. The fix from Audi was to update the transmission software. I'm still having a hard time understanding that as I thought it was a bad sensor or something mechanical. . . . on the other hand I have not changed my own oil in the last 15 years because the cars are getting so complicated. In a way I miss my 1981 320i. :-)
Old 03-20-2014, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kkirkg
I had problems with the shifting on my 2011 A8. Gearbox warning light would come on randomly. The fix from Audi was to update the transmission software. I'm still having a hard time understanding that as I thought it was a bad sensor or something mechanical. . . . on the other hand I have not changed my own oil in the last 15 years because the cars are getting so complicated. In a way I miss my 1981 320i. :-)
Thanks Kkirkg,
I am writing all these great information down. Hope this thread will be a useful one for others as well. Keep it coming.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any known issues with the advanced suspension. I know these can be expensive
Old 05-20-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know this is off topic but has anyone ever had an issue wit the grille, as far as people trying to park in front of you and hitting the grille instead of a bumper

Quick Reply: Most common issues on a 2011 Audi A8