A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2011 A8L traffic riddle solved

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My 2011 A8L traffic riddle solved

Just sharing: I just bought a 2011 A8L with driver assist, NV, LED and cold pack. I was looking into mirroring my Note5 to the MMI so I can get the free traffic on Google maps. While trying to figure that out I came across the following:

1. I already have traffic on my NAV screen although I have neither an activated Sirius nor Audi Connect. It is also accurate to reality and pretty much matches what my phone showed on Google maps. This was strange to me because during my pre-purchase research I thought I needed either/or/and Sirius or Audi Connect.

2. I called Audi Tech Support and they couldn't explain it. They gave me a hint when they told me Audi Connect was not available in the 2011 A8L. I also pointed out the satellite symbol on my driver display (red arrow in pic below) and they said it must be SiriusTraffic. I called Sirius and they had no record of my VIN. Very strange.

3. After looking into the original A8 brochures in 2011, 2012 and 2013, it looks like the 2011 standard equipment includes "real-time traffic" and the TMC reports while Sirius Traffic and Audi Connect are not mentioned at all in the 2011 A8 brochure. The 2012 & 2013 A8 brochures show Audi Connect and Sirius Traffic available for the first time (but you have to pay a monthly fee after the trial).

4. It looks like the 2011 model year gets real-time traffic and TMC for FREE !

Question: Is anyone aware of this and have any ideas on whether the traffic info comes from Sirius or Audi or never-never land ? Through the model years the standard equipment sometimes includes 3 month trials and 4 year trials so I think that long term arrangements are made between Audi and Sirius based on the HD radio codes in the original equipment. I just pasted the pics below in random order to show what I see.
Attached Thumbnails My 2011 A8L traffic riddle solved-c1.jpg   My 2011 A8L traffic riddle solved-e1.jpg   My 2011 A8L traffic riddle solved-d1.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 11-14-2017, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

There is currently a free preview of SiriusXM running so you'll get free traffic until that's over. I'm currently getting it as well but to be honest, it's not very accurate.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bubble burst ! I just went outside and now my Sirius Radio is working. It wasn't when I bought the car (10 days ago). The old owner told me he cancelled his. Do you think Sirius restarted the free trial (unsolicited) ? I suppose they may do that after a disconnect if they know the car is being sold. I also now remember that the traffic was not there when I first got the car and I attributed that to my not knowing how to select it. I guess I am wrong. I wonder if I have a legitimate beef about what was included in the original buy (no cost traffic) and now it changes just because the later model years do not have it for free. WDYT ?
Old 11-14-2017, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Traffic piggybacks Sirius, rather than Connect. You see TMC at the bottom of the display that signals it. Traffic deal was for 4 years, for original owner. It also is included in some trial packages, like for my CPO. But for CPO's like mine, the four years doesn't apply--no "transfer" concept like for the 4/50 warranty. Thus for our Q5 I bought as new, we had "free" traffic included for 4 years. For the CPO S8, I only had it during the trial Sirius window of time.

IIRC, the underlying source data for US based TMC (via Sirius) is Inrix. This was all in flux though after Audi, BMW and Merc paid a ridiculous $3B for the mapping assets from Nokia; now called Here.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a flyer in the mail from Sirius saying there's a free 2 week preview starting 11/14. The traffic from them is highly inaccurate in terms of predicting times, Waze is much more accurate. I having been using both and typically the Audi MMI is 10-15min off at the beginning of the trip.

Also the satellite dish on the gauge cluster means the time is being synced from a satellite. It an options under where you set the time.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, talked to Sirius today and they confirmed what you said on the 2 weeks. After that for traffic it is $3.99 per month. Not worth it if it is not accurate.

I am going to try wireless mirroring of my Note 5 to the MMI as well as converting the cig lighter to dual 4.2 amp USB charging stations. If anyone has links to "good" threads on this it would be appreciated ! My many searches turn up lots of incomplete / inaccurate info.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by readheads
Yeah, talked to Sirius today and they confirmed what you said on the 2 weeks. After that for traffic it is $3.99 per month. Not worth it if it is not accurate.

I am going to try wireless mirroring of my Note 5 to the MMI as well as converting the cig lighter to dual 4.2 amp USB charging stations. If anyone has links to "good" threads on this it would be appreciated ! My many searches turn up lots of incomplete / inaccurate info.
Android auto is the best solution... cant wait till its out... more info here: https://rsnav.com/collections/frontp...ideo-interface
Old 11-23-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by readheads
Yeah, talked to Sirius today and they confirmed what you said on the 2 weeks. After that for traffic it is $3.99 per month. Not worth it if it is not accurate.<br /><br />I am going to try wireless mirroring of my Note 5 to the MMI as well as converting the cig lighter to dual 4.2 amp USB charging stations. If anyone has links to "good" threads on this it would be appreciated ! My many searches turn up lots of incomplete / inaccurate info.
<br /><br />Android auto is the best solution... cant wait till its out... more info here: https://rsnav.com/collections/frontp...ideo-interface