A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious magical brake phenomenon

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieMac
The full history of bleeding is unknown to me, I bought the car 2.5 years ago with 32k miles on it and up until about 60 days ago I never had any issues with the brakes.
Unless I missed it in one of your posts, I didn't read where the brake fluid was changed since you purchased the car. Aside from any other possible cause of your issue, Audi scheduled maintenance requires the brake fluid be changed every two years.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Having just completed this myself I agree with the clip scenario. It's difficult to get the pads clipped into the caliper properly and I can see how one could get folded out of the way. This would cause the OP's symptoms. It would be interesting to see the DTC that is disabling ACC.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Having just completed this myself I agree with the clip scenario. It's difficult to get the pads clipped into the caliper properly and I can see how one could get folded out of the way. This would cause the OP's symptoms. It would be interesting to see the DTC that is disabling ACC.

Well Crud!!! I was headed out to my car to get the computer that I use for VAG and I realized.. I am not in my car, I am in a loaner while the work on my car and the computer is in the trunk. I will try and post the scan as soon as I can get to it.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Unless I missed it in one of your posts, I didn't read where the brake fluid was changed since you purchased the car. Aside from any other possible cause of your issue, Audi scheduled maintenance requires the brake fluid be changed every two years.
Well honestly... I can't say that I have really ever paid attention to the info I get from Audi after my service unless they point out an issue and even then 99.9% of the time I just say "fix it". I do have my car serviced regularly so if it is a requirement by Audi then I can only assume Audi has done it. That said we all know what they say about assume.....
Old 11-01-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieMac
Well honestly... I can't say that I have really ever paid attention to the info I get from Audi after my service unless they point out an issue and even then 99.9% of the time I just say "fix it". I do have my car serviced regularly so if it is a requirement by Audi then I can only assume Audi has done it. That said we all know what they say about assume.....
A call to one of the SAs should be able to pull it up on the system to see if you had it done in the last two years. Changing brake fluid every two years is not just an Audi thing, it's recommended for all cars - brake fluid has a useful life, similar to oil (which is every 12 months or 10K miles minimum).