A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New S8

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by JD72
Again many thanks for the input.
I've been offrered such a good deal for a new leased S8 I would be crazy not to take it, S8 Plus are still high at UK dealers.
I was not looking at this car to begin with, I was edging towards a Panamera 4S, RS7, CLS AMG S or M6 GC, but the deal swung it and now I'm happy with the choice.
I have read and looked at spy shots of the D5 and it looks great and will no doubt have the Porsche engine & TFT's etc but I seriously won't see one on the road for at least 18 months locally. I have only seen one or two D4 S8's since launch.
Appreciate the heads up re the D5, will now add the assistance pack.

Thanks again
J
The "Porsche" engine is actually an evolution of the existing Audi engine. The primary requirement for the KoVoMo joint development of the Audi 4.0 TT V8 was to reduce engine height so it would fit in the Panamera, with its low bonnet line. Anyway, as you said new D5 S8 version some way off, and I believe the V8 petrol will not be used in the D5 A8 - V6 TT as per RS4/RS5 and with similar outputs to the current 4.0 TT V8 in the D4 A8. Some way below the S8.

I know the Lakes District area well. Very beautiful, but often wet throughout the year and often icy in winter. Quattro country. Lot of car for the B roads, but then the Ghibli is pretty wide. Think you'll love the S8, and no need to wear sunglasses in winter to avoid being blinded by the traction control light in your prior BMW's blinking at you constantly
Old 03-07-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow so im about to pull the trigger on an s8 plus daytona grey...ive never spent this much on a car and starting to have doubts about the car lol. does anyone with an s8 or even a8l regret buying the car? i test drove another one today and while it feels great and so awesome i did have some doubt that i will enjoy it everyday.

if im spending $100k on a car i dont want it to be a waste lol and want it to be an exhilarating drive every time i drive it. i think im getting a pretty decent deal as ill be getting about $38k off msrp for a 2016 only driven 2800 miles.

also anyone notice that the leather gets dry, shiny and slick? the one i test drove today someone kept it in really bad shape and probably used armorall all of the seats and interior and smoked in the car. im just hoping that the leather was like that in that car because of all that crap product they used in that car.

i appreciate everyone on this forum...all these quick responses have been nice even though its from only a few individuals.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

which wheels do you guys prefer also

H 58898 AUDI S8 21x9 5 Spoke w Angled Raised Ends - Wheel Collision Center

ALY58899 Audi S8 Wheel Silver Painted #4H0601025P
Old 03-07-2017, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
wow so im about to pull the trigger on an s8 plus daytona grey...ive never spent this much on a car and starting to have doubts about the car lol. does anyone with an s8 or even a8l regret buying the car? i test drove another one today and while it feels great and so awesome i did have some doubt that i will enjoy it everyday.

if im spending $100k on a car i dont want it to be a waste lol and want it to be an exhilarating drive every time i drive it. i think im getting a pretty decent deal as ill be getting about $38k off msrp for a 2016 only driven 2800 miles.

also anyone notice that the leather gets dry, shiny and slick? the one i test drove today someone kept it in really bad shape and probably used armorall all of the seats and interior and smoked in the car. im just hoping that the leather was like that in that car because of all that crap product they used in that car.

i appreciate everyone on this forum...all these quick responses have been nice even though its from only a few individuals.
I'm not sure this is a regret as much as a reality, but it is a big car, I'm used to driving e class Mercedes size cars for a very long time, so a bit tougher to deal with in heavy traffic areas and tight parking situations. I'm also an audiophile and the B&O sound system is pretty pathetic given the cost, it should be great for the upcharge and it is not really high end, just loud. But the car is comfortable, quiet, stupid fast, beautiful interior, handles well for size, well built. If the size doesn't bother you and you get a kick out of the exhilaration one can get from super car kind of performance and acceleration, it's actually great for the money, nothing like it unless you spend twice as much on a Bentley perhaps. My main consternation was the fact that I do a lot of local driving in a crowded area and didn't have any practical need for a car this big. But in the end, I went for something different, overlooked the size and went for the super car. It's fun to drive, a unique experience, perhaps as they say, priceless. Regards. Ned.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
I'm not sure this is a regret as much as a reality, but it is a big car, I'm used to driving e class Mercedes size cars for a very long time, so a bit tougher to deal with in heavy traffic areas and tight parking situations. I'm also an audiophile and the B&O sound system is pretty pathetic given the cost, it should be great for the upcharge and it is not really high end, just loud. But the car is comfortable, quiet, stupid fast, beautiful interior, handles well for size, well built. If the size doesn't bother you and you get a kick out of the exhilaration one can get from super car kind of performance and acceleration, it's actually great for the money, nothing like it unless you spend twice as much on a Bentley perhaps. My main consternation was the fact that I do a lot of local driving in a crowded area and didn't have any practical need for a car this big. But in the end, I went for something different, overlooked the size and went for the super car. It's fun to drive, a unique experience, perhaps as they say, priceless. Regards. Ned.
awesome glad the size is the only concern for you....to me its actually 2 inches too small in the back seating area...funny that my hyundai genesis has a tiny bit more total leg room than this s8 yet 6 inches shorter in total car length. i feel like audi could have extended the wheel base about 3 inches or so to get rid of some of that awful overhangs.

ive had a few m3s and my last sports car was a 335i tuned to about 400hp and 450tq in a car thats 3500lbs and i really miss driving a fun car like that...so hopefully this is a good medium of needing a large cruising car and sports car.

im really looking for a car thats super fast however quiet enough and really comfortable on long drives of 100+miles, accommodate kids and adults comfortably, looks good
Old 03-07-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

My only regret is selling mine. I like the second set of wheels, myself, but it's really a matter of personal taste. Neither is a bad choice for the car.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
My only regret is selling mine. I like the second set of wheels, myself, but it's really a matter of personal taste. Neither is a bad choice for the car.
damn why did you sell yours? and yeah the second set does look better...the first set just doesnt look right on this car to me...ill have to ask the dealer to swap sets for me.

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
also i dont want any creaks in the car either...one of my biggest gripes in this genesis is that it creaks all over the place...on a $50k i would not like to hear that...so if it is present in a $120k car then its even worse.

and would you happen to know if the suspension in the s8 plus is stiffer than s8?
Old 03-07-2017, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no regrets but I spent less then 34k... lol Honestly, the only thing I find a bit intimidating is the learning curve on diy projects / part cost. Then again, I'm not as wealthy as many are on here and I hate spending more then necessary on vehicles. They really are a terrible investment in genral unless you have a classic that actually appreciates in value. If you love it and can afford it go for it. If you are hesitant in your gut I would reconsider. Gut feelings really are often a good sign.

Just like my extended warranty / AudiCare drama I went through. I knew in my gut I should of said no but I got suckered into a ton of BS. Luckily it looks like I can get out of it due to the deception by the "business manager" and going above his head with the GM of the dealer and getting cooperate involved. Anyway, listen to your gut feelings is what I mean.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I have no regrets but I spent less then 34k... lol Honestly, the only thing I find a bit intimidating is the learning curve on diy projects / part cost. Then again, I'm not as wealthy as many are on here and I hate spending more then necessary on vehicles. They really are a terrible investment in genral unless you have a classic that actually appreciates in value. If you love it and can afford it go for it. If you are hesitant in your gut I would reconsider. Gut feelings really are often a good sign.

Just like my extended warranty / AudiCare drama I went through. I knew in my gut I should of said no but I got suckered into a ton of BS. Luckily it looks like I can get out of it due to the deception by the "business manager" and going above his head with the GM of the dealer and getting cooperate involved. Anyway, listen to your gut feelings is what I mean.
its gut feelings because of price lol...but if the car just drives perfectly the way i want it then there is no problem =). what happened with your extended warranty/ audicare? extended warranty as in certified?
Old 03-07-2017, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

For what reason? Second set? Winters? Somehow a specific design of wheels affects what given car for sale you decide on?

U.S. S8 will always come with 21's. Neither of those will be on a Plus AFAIK. There is more of a market for the 5 spoke one of the two pictured; mine came with those in a smoke satin finish. They all weigh a lot and more than they should for a car in this class/price--none forged in OE 21s for starters.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-07-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: New S8