A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for D4

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Options for D4

I am looking at upgrading my D3 to a D4 sometime this fall. I am still doing my research, and trying to decide on exactly which model I want to begin to look for. So far, I've narrowed it down to black exterior and either the 4.2 or 4.0 engine.

Is there a place where I can view the exact options that were available for a specific year, and how many of them were made in a certain configuration?
Old 07-18-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by MainelyA8
I am looking at upgrading my D3 to a D4 sometime this fall. I am still doing my research, and trying to decide on exactly which model I want to begin to look for. So far, I've narrowed it down to black exterior and either the 4.2 or 4.0 engine.

Is there a place where I can view the exact options that were available for a specific year, and how many of them were made in a certain configuration?
Audi USA's web site, in the press section where you find the Product Information Books (PIBs) for each year. You can also search here and find most. Having posted them before, at least one (2013?) was too big for AW's spec's.

You are asking for too specific of information for build info with a very generic question--there are no specifics to your spec. Some have called the Audi 800 concierge number (or e mailed) and gotten them to drill down on "how many A8's (W12's, S8, 6 bangers, etc.) were made in 20xx with the so and so interior color. Basically, lots of black interiors, fewer of others, yet fewer of the Exclusive ones. More motor variety w/ D4 in general. To get any more info, you need someone inside Audi to run a search if you can persuade them.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Audi USA's web site, in the press section where you find the Product Information Books (PIBs) for each year. You can also search here and find most. Having posted them before, at least one (2013?) was too big for AW's spec's.

You are asking for too specific of information for build info with a very generic question--there are no specifics to your spec. Some have called the Audi 800 concierge number (or e mailed) and gotten them to drill down on "how many A8's (W12's, S8, 6 bangers, etc.) were made in 20xx with the so and so interior color. Basically, lots of black interiors, fewer of others, yet fewer of the Exclusive ones. More motor variety w/ D4 in general. To get any more info, you need someone inside Audi to run a search if you can persuade them.
Thanks! I'll check out the press section.

It's a broad question because I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for, yet. For instance, I currently have the amaretto interior in my D3. I know I'd want something similar for the D4, but I'm not sure what colors were offered for each year. I did look at the current offerings, but also not sure if they are the same/different. The other other thing I know is that I want a black exterior, and either motor besides the 3.0T.

I have read about the concierge number, which sounds like it should definitely be helpful once I make up my mind on exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

A few websites, like Car and Driver I think, allow you to view what options were available. I don't think any place will tell you how many with each option was built.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Thanks! I'll check out the press section.

It's a broad question because I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for, yet. For instance, I currently have the amaretto interior in my D3. I know I'd want something similar for the D4, but I'm not sure what colors were offered for each year. I did look at the current offerings, but also not sure if they are the same/different. The other other thing I know is that I want a black exterior, and either motor besides the 3.0T.

I have read about the concierge number, which sounds like it should definitely be helpful once I make up my mind on exactly what I'm looking for.
FWIW, having had D3 W12 with Amaretto for almost 10 years, you likely want one of the brown choices. In D4 there is no choice though AFAIK like the baseball mitt type D3 Amaretto color. I have the Vermont Brown in my S8, which I personally think of as sort of the spiritual successor to the W12 Amaretto Exclusive interior. Was S8 exclusive and only came out in 2015, but also got to other motor A8 versions as a (very rare) option in 2017. Balao Brown is another exclusive interior that has been out for a good number of years of D4 run, but is "too brown" for me, and I dont see the same color richness as w/ either D3 Amaretto or my current Vermont Brown. Folks say it looks better in person than pics though. There is also another non exclusive brown choice IIRC. If you find the product info books for the given years via the audi use website, you will find lots of info on all of the option choices, the Exclusive interiors w/ some pics, and the change points year over year.

If you want a black exterior, you are in luck. Many, many of them, in several flavors. Having had Brilliant Black (non metallic) on D3, if I did it again it would definitely be one of the metallics to tone down the swirl marks when you hardly breathe on it.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-18-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Another Amaretto interior fan here, and when I first looked at the D4 I was disappointed that something similar was not available. I agree with MP4 about the Vermont Brown ; if you like the Amaretto, you should like the Vermont Brown.

Something else to watch out for in the earlier D4's, the standard leather was a lower grade than that found in the D3. Mike
Old 07-19-2017, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nougat brown is the color.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have baleo brown and I love it.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i forgot what this is called but thats what i have and its as close as u will get to the d3 color and i think its one of the best
Old 07-20-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also went from a D3 Amaretto to a D4 Vermont Brown which I love. Enough different, but same feel plus more detail and deviated stitching.
Attached Thumbnails Options for D4-img_20170531_182114.jpg  

Quick Reply: Options for D4