A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Respectable But Not Sensational Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 04:07 PM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Respectable But Not Sensational Gas Mileage?

I just finished driving from near Pittsburgh to Catawba Island/Put-In-Bay this holiday weekend, and the 350+ mile round trip averaged 28.3mpg. Mind you, I kept the speedometer within 10mph of the posted limit, and had multiple stretches where we "crawled" along at 65mph in construction zones. This is my first trip in the Big 4.0T and I'm a bit disappointed I did not do better MPG-wise. Virtually every car I've owned I've been able to better posted ratings by 2, 3 or 4 when driving 'this slow.' It's also a very flat run which usually makes good MPG a snap.

On the flip side, the car eats concrete like no other. Quiet, smooth, near-perfect seating position and a health confidence to pass on the right when needed made the trip idyllic. This could easily turn into a 10-year ownership.

Some kamikazee gull decided that big 'ol Lake Erie was too threatening to poop oin so he nailed the drivers side of my car instead. Grrrr.....
Old 05-27-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Not bad MPG's actually.

But...

1. If you are using the trip computer, realize that is likely optimistic. Divide tripmeter miles by gallons pumped for the real #. Keep track of the data is you want, to use to calibrate trip computer (via VCDS). My Audis' typically run 6 or 7% optimistic, including the S8. I have mine now dialed in to within a percent or so of actual for most fills.

2. Most vehicles I have owned are far worse as far as accuracy.. Maybe yours too? I't's almost a sport to deceive the customer I think with pretend MPG's. Thus, funny how I have never owned a single one that has read pessimistic. Both the Chrysler and the Toyota the wife had clocked in consistently at a solid 15%+ inflated MPG's compared to actual as examples. The Audi's are the only ones I have been able to adjust the readouts.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:07 AM
D4 in PA

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Not bad MPG's actually.

But...

1. If you are using the trip computer, realize that is likely optimistic. Divide tripmeter miles by gallons pumped for the real #. Keep track of the data is you want, to use to calibrate trip computer (via VCDS). My Audis' typically run 6 or 7% optimistic, including the S8. I have mine now dialed in to within a percent or so of actual for most fills.

2. Most vehicles I have owned are far worse as far as accuracy.. Maybe yours too? I't's almost a sport to deceive the customer I think with pretend MPG's. Thus, funny how I have never owned a single one that has read pessimistic. Both the Chrysler and the Toyota the wife had clocked in consistently at a solid 15%+ inflated MPG's compared to actual as examples. The Audi's are the only ones I have been able to adjust the readouts.
That is great info! I never would have thought you could calibrate the results.

I always calculate my mileage manually....I agree nearly every car's computer is, shall we say, generous with it's results.

The last brand new car I bought was the 2008 Enclave for hauling the family around the country....in 5 years and over 150,000 miles I consistently beat the posted mpg of 26 by 2 or 3, unless it was loaded to the gills with the clan.

My previous D3 was rated at 26 highway and on multiple Ease Coast runs from Ohio I was able to top 30 mpg, and that was not obeying the posted speed limits At All... in fact one trip the average speed for a 320 mile trip was 72 and it returned 29 mpg (again actual calculation, not he car computer). And this was through the Pennsylvania mountains via the turnpike.

I agree, my mileage is not bad on the new car......it's better than the CTS4 6cyl @ 320 hp I traded in by 3+ mpg.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive a 3.0T and I don’t get anywhere close to high 20s on highways. It’s always through the mountains.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I’d say 28 is very good for the 4.0. I have the 3.0 and routinely get 30+ mpg on long highway runs usually with the ACC in use.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:24 AM
D4 in PA

Originally Posted by Puzz1
I’d say 28 is very good for the 4.0. I have the 3.0 and routinely get 30+ mpg on long highway runs usually with the ACC in use.
What kind of terrain?
Old 05-29-2018, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wi have the 4.0.........putting fuel in it is the ticket price for a thrilling ride! If I wanted mileage I would have bought a Prius!
Old 05-29-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
What kind of terrain?
Primarily New England states using the Eisenhower Interstate System Ran CT up to Quebec City last August and I got 31 mpg.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to do an unplanned 280 mile loop from MA to NH and back last night. First time ever my 4.0 averaged 29.8MPG on the dash. Average speed was 78. Ran 120 miles of the first leg with an A7 3.0 and an M5. Kept swapping the lead car. Ended up being a great drive to retrieve a game camera that caught some dirt bag doing damage near our vacation home.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry for the circumstances of your trip but that 120 mile run with the A7 and the M5 sounds like a lot of fun. I find it more difficult to find interesting cars to run with on the highway.

Quick Reply: Respectable But Not Sensational Gas Mileage?