A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 for daily driver....tire/wheel issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by aceman
Guys -

I'm getting serious about pulling the trigger on a S8 as a daily driver. One issue of concern for me is the 21" wheels that the cars have w/ 35 series tires.

I have a BMW 550 with 40 series tires and in 5 years (100K miles), i've been had bubbles on appx 15 tires and gone through about 5-7 rims. Thankfully i had BMW's wheel and tire insurance (no deductable) before they changed the policies (now they limit total payout and have deductibles). Anyway - for those of you who put a lot of miles on your S8, how bad are those rims? are you going through a lot of wheels/tires?

Has anyone put, say 40 or 45 series tires on the car? any feedback?

Appreciate any help -

Thanks,

Aceman
Welcome! First of all BMW OEM wheels are crap, softer and bends more than Audis in my lifetime. The runfalts are also pathetic and always bubble. I never used tire wheel insurance though because I have always been careful driver and I use 20s now and I have good nonrunflats and havent bent or bubble a tire in 6 years and I drive 25k miles a year!! Now that is impressive. My Audi rims are perfectly round after 110k miles on 2012 Audi A8l with 20 and series 40 wheels. I get occasional puncture but my nonrunfalt michelins still hold enough air to go to my german auto mechanic who is tirerack certified to fix and get new tire if need and road force balanced. I also have Audi A7 with 20s and series 275/35R20 and no bends or damaged tire here in southeast michigan or Detroit in 2 years and 21k miles.

I highly recommend the S8 and get series 40 tires and trust me the Audi rims are 4x stronger. My BMW 3 and 5 series 6-8 years ago were horrible. Simple bump or dip bent the rims. I would get vibration galore. I hate BMW now.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned my S8 with 21" wheels for over a year. I was initially concerned about the same issue but can say without hesitation that it's been a non-event. I have my suspension at the mid-level and keep the tire pressure at 36 all around vs. the factory recommendation of 40+.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

13k miles on my car now, no damage to rims on our horrible, potholed roads in Chicago.
By this time in my previous cars (M5, E63S, S63), at least couple of them had to be replaced or at least reconditioned.
Audi's wheels are much more sturdy then competition.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Welcome! First of all BMW OEM wheels are crap, softer and bends more than Audis in my lifetime. The runfalts are also pathetic and always bubble. I never used tire wheel insurance though because I have always been careful driver and I use 20s now and I have good nonrunflats and havent bent or bubble a tire in 6 years and I drive 25k miles a year!! Now that is impressive. My Audi rims are perfectly round after 110k miles on 2012 Audi A8l with 20 and series 40 wheels. I get occasional puncture but my nonrunfalt michelins still hold enough air to go to my german auto mechanic who is tirerack certified to fix and get new tire if need and road force balanced. I also have Audi A7 with 20s and series 275/35R20 and no bends or damaged tire here in southeast michigan or Detroit in 2 years and 21k miles.

I highly recommend the S8 and get series 40 tires and trust me the Audi rims are 4x stronger. My BMW 3 and 5 series 6-8 years ago were horrible. Simple bump or dip bent the rims. I would get vibration galore. I hate BMW now.

So true. A few months back I curbed my D4 at a fairly high rate of speed. (Long story - yes I did it). Tore the tire sidewall to shreds but somehow miraculously didn't deflate it (Pirellis) and the wheel rim is scarred badly but survived and is repairable. 1/4 that amount of impact would have bent any BMW wheel I've ever owned. I couldn't believe it.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep, they are strong. Everytime I've had to take them on and off again, the weight of them tells me they should be. They're heavier than any wheels I've had on anything else, in fact.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by absent
13k miles on my car now, no damage to rims on our horrible, potholed roads in Chicago.
By this time in my previous cars (M5, E63S, S63), at least couple of them had to be replaced or at least reconditioned.
Audi's wheels are much more sturdy then competition.
Is the ride comfortable enough on less than stellar roads? I've been considering a cpo s8 for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Was thinking of going to 20 inch rims should I buy one but hopefully that wouldn't be necessary. Regards. Ned.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, put the suspension in comfort mode and the car will deliver a pothole-forgiving ride.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 602 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Is the ride comfortable enough on less than stellar roads? I've been considering a cpo s8 for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Was thinking of going to 20 inch rims should I buy one but hopefully that wouldn't be necessary. Regards. Ned.
Ride is not dramatically stiff by any means on 21's, and even on rough roads feels good. Still comfortable given the air suspension. Nonetheless I put 20's on mine, but more for the overall dynamics and issues associated with higher unsprung weight of the 21's.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Yep, they are strong. Everytime I've had to take them on and off again, the weight of them tells me they should be. They're heavier than any wheels I've had on anything else, in fact.
Having dealt with about a dozen different sets of wheels for my Porsche 911 that I tracked all season for the past 15 yrs, I can tell you heavier wheels most times does not mean stronger.

In fact, forged wheels are the lightest of ALL wheel manufacturing, and are the strongest wheels.

It is the gravity cast wheels that are the heaviest, and most often the most prone to breaking, cracking, bending.

The Audi forged wheels in 20" are in fact 8lbs - 15lbs LIGHTER and far stronger than the cast 19" wheels.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are these OEM 19" Audi wheels cast or forged?
Attached Images