A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Driving in California

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snow Driving in California

I realize the laws vary from state to state but for those of you who drive in California in the snow can you please answer a question for me. I have an 2011 Audi A8L with quattroŽ which is as you know, Audi's version of a permanent all-wheel drive car. The car has on it, Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season (Ultra High Performance All-Season) tires and my question is, when chains are required except for four wheel drive and cars equipped with snow tires, would I be driving my car legally as described above without tire chains. I realize that there are times when chains are required regardless but my question is simply when four wheel vehicles are legally able to drive without chains can my vehicle also drive without them? Also, if chains are required what wheels do you put them one, front or back? I appreciate the info and thank you in advance for your time.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, its considered four wheel drive. and does not need to use chains, and im certain Audi says DO NOT use chains or serious damage could be done to the body of the car. Most manufactures now adays warn against chain use.

Just so you know... All seasons, really do nothing well. They have average dry pavement performance, average wet, and really rather poor performance in snow. Snow tires will be made of a softer material and meant to be soft in cold weather, and grip well. All seasons get hard in cold, and loose alot of traction ability. Snow tires also have very very aggressive tread which all seasons really dont. Snow tires obviously will wear much much faster than performance or all seasons for being soft and the tread design.

One final note, all wheel drive doesnt help you stop, it only helps you go. if its really bad enough people need chains, you should definatly have snow tires.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 11-27-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ChainRequire.pdf

They have stages for whats required.

Requirement one: Snow tires or chains are required.
Requirement two: Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel drive vehicles equipped with snow tires on all four wheels.
Requirement three: Chains are required on all vehicles, no exception.

You hit stage 3 they are closing the road, or its a skating rink and steep.

Side note those A/S tires you have may as well be summer tires. They might be A/S tires but they are heavily oriented for fair weather use vs use in snowy weather.

They do make a cable setup for A8's I know Quatroad had it on his S8 before.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Audi sells snow chains if you need/require their use:

http://www.audi-collection.com/Vehic...A3/Snow-chains

4E0091375
Track pattern chain made of stainless steel alloy.
Self-tensioning system. 1 set = 2 pieces.
Check local regulations prior to use.
European model shown.
Fits tire sizes: 235/60/R16, 235/55/R17, 235/50/R18, and 235/45/R17.
This item is sold only through your local dealership.

Note the link says A3, but the website points to some common items for all vehicles.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default CA driver--chains not required w/ AWD all seasons; but for safety...

CA doesn't require chains w/ AWD or 4WD if you have at least all seasons--any tire that says M+S on the sidewall. Snows (the ones with the mountain logo on the sidewall) even better. But from 15 years experience with AWD in Tahoe and literally hundreds of trips w/ dozens in the snow, A/S's are a great recipe to end up in the ditch or up a pole with AWD and poor performing all seasons. I have seen things like new Jeeps upside down in ditches, Volvo XC90's having climbed telephone pole, and Dodge Rams spinning out right in front of me. Or glass from some unknown vehicle that rolled down the embankment in front of our vacation place that is on a simple hill grade in a storm. In each case I can bet they had no true snow tires but AWD. I had both and motored on uneventfully.

I currently have A/S's on my D3 A8 W12--Michelin Pilot A/S plus's. A well regarded A/S. Drove it to Aspen last winter and ended up in an unexpected storm. No different than many Tahoe storms. Even w/ lots of snow driving experience over many years, my wife and I both fishtailed it and skidded it into intersections several times over two days, even w/ lots of caution. Now have true snows for it. I have also driven my now 13 year old A6 4.2 (since new) at times with Pirelli A/S's like you mention. To me that tire is just barely an A/S (compared to the Michelin or especially a Dunlop DWS), though it does get you through a chain check. Very little real snow and especially ice grip. The Dunlop M2 and M3 snows I typically use are light years ahead in poor condition grip both going and stopping.

Net, if you are doing any serious winter driving, buy snows. Otherwise, buy more collision insurance and like to drive cheap loaner cars...you may need both.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-04-2012 at 08:56 AM.