A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from T-mobile to AT&T for Audi Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running AT&T simcard for 6 months and no issue with in car connectivety but myaudiconnect stays inactive and this causing that if you try to send an address from Google map to your car the address is not coming through and Audi is also not able to do remote diagnostic etc on you car.

I called Audi Connect to try to add my AT&T simcard as a subscription as the website is saying the simcard is unknown. The responds I got was that I am not able to maintain a subscription unless I use T-Mobile and if I attempt to use AT&T simcard it would void the warranty which a bunch bulls... IMO. I told the lady it makes no sense since Audi works with both T-Mobile and AT&T. The final conclusion was that there is nothing they could do for me unless I continue to subscribe for T-Mobile. Why should I pay for T-Mobile when I have a AT&T mobile share plan where I add the car for $10 a month.

Anyone else who had any experience talking to Audi Connect about it?
Old 08-08-2015, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The warranty statement you heard is nonsense. Someone else who has an AT&T sim can respond to the myaudiconnect send to car issue.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use an AT&T sim card. I was also told by Audi that it wouldn't work. The only feature that won't work as far as I can tell is access to Audi Connect via the Audi website. I paid my Audi Connect subscription and am able to access Audi Connect and Google Earth without any problems through the vehicle itself.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
I use an AT&T sim card. I was also told by Audi that it wouldn't work. The only feature that won't work as far as I can tell is access to Audi Connect via the Audi website. I paid my Audi Connect subscription and am able to access Audi Connect and Google Earth without any problems through the vehicle itself.
Not sure I understand what you're saying. You are using an AT&T sim card presumably from an AT&T acct and also have a T-Mobile Audi Connect plan?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not sure I understand what you're saying. You are using an AT&T sim card presumably from an AT&T acct and also have a T-Mobile Audi Connect plan?
No, I do not have any connection with T-Mobil. I paid my Audi Connect subscription through Audi. Everything works except access through the Audi website.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
No, I do not have any connection with T-Mobil. I paid my Audi Connect subscription through Audi. Everything works except access through the Audi website.
Sorry, I'm still confused. You paid for a subscription through Audi which if you have a pre MY2016, that would be only through T-Mobile's network. And then you swapped the sim for an AT&T sim which I presume you are also paying for their data somehow.

What year is your car and what plan did you buy through Audi? The 30 month plan for $450? And what are you paying to use the AT&T sim?
If so, it sounds like you are paying double. There is no need to pay Audi for anything if you are using an AT&T sim (unless you have a MY2016 which now exclusively uses AT&T 4G LTE).

Audi Connect is simply a 3G modem/phone that is agnostic to either T-Mobile or AT&T depending on model year. When you buy data through Audi, TruPhone or US Mobile, you are using the T-Mobile network. If you change the sim to AT&T, you are using their network. You only pay for the service of one of the providers. In all cases there is no separate charge to use Audi Connect..
Old 08-10-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

No, I have Google Earth and the other "on-line" services through Audi Connect, via my car. Adding my car to my existing AT&T account was $15/mo.

My car is a '15 S8.

Last edited by RED HORSE; 08-10-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi connect(google etc.) just needs a data line(AT&T in your case) to work right?

Is it a separate service you pay for on top of paying for the data connection?
Old 08-10-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

pm sent
Old 08-10-2015, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Red Horse, I believe you are confused how Audi Connect works. Audi Connect is the hardware and software (think web browser and cel phone). Google Earth, Google online search and all the other Audi Connect services require a single cellular provider. T-Mobile (which is subscribed through the Audiconnect website) or AT&T. Not both, only one at a time. All services you see in the MMI don't care which one just like your your computer or smart phone. There is no charge for "Audi Connect", only for the single provider you choose to receive the AC data.

Again, Audi Connect is the web browser, the MMI is the cel phone and T-Mobile or AT&T will be the online provider. Once you paid for the car, the cel and web browser were included at no charge. You only pay for the celular online provider to get the AC data. And only one provider can be used at a time.

You can't split providers. Your Google Earth and other online service data is now coming through AT&T's network. Before you switched the sim card, data was coming over T-Mobile's network, Audi's provider partner up to MY2015. If you paid for a 30 month subscription from Audi (T-Mobile) and are now paying $15 for AT&T, you are double paying for the same services since you are no longer using Audi/T-Mobile's network. Only now, you are using AT&T to get the AC online data and no longer T-Mobile.

If you bought a 30 month sub on the AudiConnect website, unfortunately there is no refund per their agreement. Which is too bad since you are no longer using their network.

Quick Reply: Switching from T-mobile to AT&T for Audi Connect?