A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove the D4 today...Very Nice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Test drove the D4 today...

Stopped by my dealer this afternoon and test drove the new D4. A perfect day for a drive after Earl blew out of the area, and the NWB A8 I drove is quite a ride. Car was Phantom Black metallic with the Nougat Brown interior---nice combo, and the Nougat looks better to my eye than the D3 Amaretto (just my opinion). I believe all the demos dealers picked up at the port are equipped about the same, so anyone going for a test drive should be in the same set up that I drove.

At the outset, all the pictures I'd seen didn't do this car justice. While the overall styling does share many cues from the A4, in person this car will not be confused with it's smaller cousin. Parked side to side with my D3 LWB, the D4 NWB's size appears virtually the same; viewed from the front, the new A8 looks a little wider and you immediately notice the car's broader shoulders, compared with the D3. The D4's sharper angles make it appear more athletic, more sporty.

The LEDs up front are very evil looking and really make the car stand out. Not a fan of the standard 19-in. wheels, especially since the 5-spoke 19's I have on my '08 D3 that I really like are available on the D4 in Europe---will have to see about special ordering them when I'm ready to order.

The 4.2 V8/8-speed tranny combo work beautifully together; it seems to me that the new transmission makes the D4's engine feel like it has more than an additional 22-hp; feels like it has a little extra punch, albeit not especially noticeable versus my D3's 350-hp---but you do feel it.

The new gearshift lever now operates on a spring setup, so all you do is nudge it---the addition of the illuminated P-R-N-D/S indicator on top of the gear shift handle is a nice touch. LED illuminated dashed lines are used for indicators (like fuel) on the instrument cluster---again, a nice sophisticated touch. The round sunroof dial control has been replaced by a smoothly operating rectangular switch that moves in the direction you want the roof panel to move.

The trunk is noticeably smaller than the D3, but still capable of cramming what I'd need to fit there. The biggest disappointment for me was the unavailability of the power door closers on NWB A8s. This feature is available on the LWB version, but not for the NWB model. I was told the reason is to keep weight down on upcoming S8---but what that has to do with the A8 escapes me. Sounded like a load of nonsense to my salesperson also. At any rate, I'll miss that feature since I plan to order the NWB A8 this time around, and not the LWB.

While driving, the view out the windshield was quite a change for me: I felt a bit more focused (but maybe that was because I was doing a test drive), however, the bi-level design of the top of the instrument panel did make the view out the windshield feel different, but in a nice comforting way---giving the feeling of being positioned a little farther back, and not on top of the windshield. What is very noticeable is how the tips of the front fender are in view through the windshield even when I had my seat positioned a little lower, not unlike the Panamera---I liked that.

The 22-way comfort seats are really nice, especially with the different massage settings that are selected via the MMI menu, as are most of the seat contouring positions; unfortunately the top seatback/shoulder forward/backward adjustment is also accessed via the MMI, and can't be manually adjusted with the seat control switches located at the base of the seat---that was disappointing to me, since I use that adjustment a lot, and wouldn't want to have to fiddle with the MMI while driving.

The MMI's touchscreen handwritten inputs to the nav and phone systems seemed to work very well. Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to play around that much with the Drive Select settings, but with the base setting set to AUTO, the car felt very tight and steering/cornering was crisp.

The interior is beautiful, even my wife commented on how different it feels compared with our D3 (although she didn't care for the Nougat color all that much---it looked fine to me). Every button is typical Audi---solid feeling and well crafted.

BTW, I forgot to mention in the above writeup that the ashtray is located in the center console; it's removeable and can be used outside the car---it's weighted with the Audi 4-ring logo on the lid and fits in the center console cup holder (pretty neat).

Audi did a great job with the D4---it's a terrific evolutionary step up from the D3, which in my book is high praise. I've got 8-months to go until my current D3 lease expires, so lots more D4 test drives are on the horizon ;^)

Last edited by derfA8L; 09-06-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the report!

The biggest disappointment for me was the unavailability of the power door closers on NWB A8s. This feature is available on the LWB version, but not for the NWB model. I was told the reason is to keep weight down on upcoming S8---but what that has to do with the A8 escapes me. Sounded like a load of nonsense to my salesperson also. At any rate, I'll miss that feature since I plan to order the NWB A8 this time around, and not the LWB.
if by power closers you mean the feature that automatically pulls doors closed if they are not fully thrown shut, then my modelyear 2011 A8 D4 NWB has that.
it was called comfort doors, close or something like that.

So the limitation you mention must be an american one?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by qecko
thank you for the report!

if by power closers you mean the feature that automatically pulls doors closed if they are not fully thrown shut, then my modelyear 2011 A8 D4 NWB has that.
it was called comfort doors, close or something like that.

So the limitation you mention must be an american one?
Indeed it is. Ridiculous, actually.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree on the door closers, both my '06 and my '09 had them. That being said I did order a 2011.

Phantom Black
Nougat Brown Interior
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Convenience Package
LED Lights

Should be here in November. I am reaaly looking forward to the car.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clembo
I agree on the door closers, both my '06 and my '09 had them. That being said I did order a 2011.

Phantom Black
Nougat Brown Interior
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Convenience Package
LED Lights

Should be here in November. I am reaaly looking forward to the car.
I'm very sure you won't be disappointed! BTW, I forgot to mention in my test drive writeup that the ashtray is in the center console; it's removeable and can be used outside the car---it's weighted with the Audi 4-ring logo on the lid and fits in the center console cup holder (pretty neat).
Old 09-10-2010, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't need to use the ashtray in the drinks holder, it fits under the armrest (if you don't have the mobile phone pre-installed), so you get your 2 cupholders too!

It's a nice little detail.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's odd, but power door closure is on the european cars too (non-UK I mean). Is there not a full specification brochure that you can check the options available instead of the "packs"?

Keep an eye on the brochures/online though, as I've mentioned before, Audi seem to change what's available without telling their dealers at all (they have 4 more wheel designs out now compared to back in March plus privacy glass too).
Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jetinder
It's odd, but power door closure is on the european cars too (non-UK I mean). Is there not a full specification brochure that you can check the options available instead of the "packs"?

Keep an eye on the brochures/online though, as I've mentioned before, Audi seem to change what's available without telling their dealers at all (they have 4 more wheel designs out now compared to back in March plus privacy glass too).
Unfortunately, Audi of America offers a limited list of stand alone options; most key option elements are incorporated into specific packages---I suppose this helps keep the cost down on U.S. spec cars.

The power door closers are not currently on the Order Guide for the NWB A8; however, does come as standard equipment on the A8L. The head product trainer at the dealers' meeting, when they all recently picked up their demo cars, said the reason was to keep the weight down on the "sportier" NWB car, and on the upcoming S8---which sounds like nonsense to me. They should have at least made the power door closers a stand-alone option---I've put in a complaint to AoA on this, for all the good it will do.

We also have very limited wheel choices---not even the 5-spoke 19" version (currently available on 2010 U.S. spec A8's) that's a no cost option for you folks across the pond. Looked at the D4 and my D3 side-by-side, and everyone commented that the 2010 5-spoke 19-inch wheels looked better on the D4 versus the 19-inch 10-spoke "Y" wheels the car comes with. I will attempt to special order the 5-spokers when I order my car later in the year (lotsa luck on that too, I suppose).
Old 09-11-2010, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D4 a subtle but high-quality upgrade!

I too recently test-drove a 2011 A8 in Florida. It was the grey with the sand interior, fully loaded. The sand interior is very nice.

The cockpit is very tight - not in terms of not enough space, but just fully loaded with options. I currently own a D3 A8L, and I would say that the center console appears to have 20% more buttons. This is not a bad thing, however the MMI is slightly overwhelming until you get used to it (and I am used to Audi's prior A8 MMI). However a main reason for me to go to another A8 is the technology component, which blows away Mercedes and BMW.

I hooked up my iPhone and had full functionality on artists, playlists, etc. Very easy to navigate the screens, and nice upgrade from the current MMI. Bang & Olufsen system is nice, but I wouldn't pay more than about $1500 for it as an option. If it is a $6000+ option like on the D3, you definitely are NOT getting $6000 worth of improved sound over the stock sound system.

The Navigation system is definitely better, with an amazing 3D screen. It gives you option of 2D if you want it. The new little pad where you can 'write' letters in order to enter data on navigation is a HUGE improvement over the old Audi rotator dial.

As for fit and finish, it is spectacular. Full aluminum trim accros the dashboard, beautiful leather and quality wood inlays. stitching on seats is very classy. Of course, the Audi color palette is spot on. I was not able to see the Nougat brown, and I am interested in that because my current car has Amaretto. However, the sand color on the new A8 is extremely nice. In the pics it may look like it would be too light, but it is richer in color in person.

As for driving dynamics, the car feels very solid. Ride is compliant, and better than the current D3. Slight delay when you mash the accelerator, but then power comes on like a monster. This car means business. I did not try the same with the transmission in Sport, but I imagine it has a better reaction time for the accelerator like the current D3 does in 'Sport'.

As for looks, whether it is better than the D3 is debatable. To me, the full LED headlights have the 'droopy dog' look, that is not sporty at all. Also, the full LEDs do not appear to provide anymore luminosity than regular Xenons. (They probably do, but to my eye, it is not very noticeable). This is one option that I would not pay for. I prefer the standard lighting option available.

The 10 spoke wheels on the car are very nice, classic looking, but sporty. The 5-spoke wheels that are available on Euro D4s are nice, but not appropriate for an executive sedan. Maybe they'd look better on an S8 (if one comes out).

The car DOES look better in person, however. It looks clean and all the angles seem to work. The rear is too similar to an A4 for such a high-end car, but it still is nice looking.

I will likely put in an order for one only if base pricing comes in mid-high 70s. If they come out in the mid-80s or above, then for LESS money I'd be better off buying a slightly used 2010 Mercedes S-Class or BMW 750i, which won't depreciate as significantly).

Audi is a smart car company, so I hope they know how to price these. If they price this enough under a BMW and Mercedes to make it a no-brainer, then I think anyone who is a car enthusiast and not a brand-whor* would likely snap up the A8 in a heart beat.

Overall, I give the car an enthusiastic thumbs up. The interior easily beats everything in its class, as well as a Bentley Continental, hands down.