A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo oil screen recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
Are you unaware of the implications of not doing the screen update, or is it that you are you planning to do it yourself?
Implications? Yeah, not experiencing issues like the OP. Have you had rear pads replaced at the dealer and found the right rear caliper hanging loosely by one bolt after driving home? Or return home (sixty mile drive) from the dealer after an oil change to find a smoking car due to the oil cap being left at the dealer and three quarts splattered about the engine compartment? Or discovered the rear seat loose after having the fuel sender RECALL performed. Are any of us 100 percent sure the screen will actually clog or that our turbos will actually fail while we own them? My dealer gave me a free oil change due to a screw up on my S5 so I applied it to the S8. So, the next time I changed the oil and filter I discovered they hadn't replaced the filter but probably suctioned the oil from the top and left the filter. Why would I know this? Because I use MAHLE filters and scribe a date in the plastic end.
No way will I have them touch my cars again.

Last edited by 2ducs; 04-03-2024 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Super-Duper User

Received 486 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ducs
Implications? Yeah, not experiencing issues like the OP. Have you had rear pads replaced at the dealer and found the right rear caliper hanging loosely by one bolt after driving home? Or return home (sixty mile drive) from the dealer after an oil change to find a smoking car due to the oil cap being left at the dealer and three quarts splattered about the engine compartment? Or discovered the rear seat loose after having the fuel sender RECALL performed. Are any of us 100 percent sure the screen will actually clog or that our turbos will actually fail while we own them? My dealer gave me a free oil change due to a screw up on my S5 so I applied it to the S8. So, the next time I changed the oil and filter I discovered they hadn't replaced the filter but probably suctioned the oil from the top and left the filter. Why would I know this? Because I use MAHLE filters and scribe a date in the plastic end. No way will I have them touch my cars again.
I sense some well placed hostility. There's that common theme in your experiences - dealer, dealer, dealer...
That said, I sympathize completely, but would urge you to address the screen update issue one way or another. Some will differ with my opinion, but failure can be quite random, and we really haven't tied it to anything perfectly concrete here on the forum - other than it does happen more frequently in certain model years, and that it can be a troublesome, expensive repair. However, many of those who were inclined to do it themselves have commented that it's not really a terrible job, either.
The following 2 users liked this post by A8L_New_England:
09S5 (04-04-2024), 2ducs (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
I sense some well placed hostility. There's that common theme in your experiences - dealer, dealer, dealer...
That said, I sympathize completely, but would urge you to address the screen update issue one way or another. Some will differ with my opinion, but failure can be quite random, and we really haven't tied it to anything perfectly concrete here on the forum - other than it does happen more frequently in certain model years, and that it can be a troublesome, expensive repair. However, many of those who were inclined to do it themselves have commented that it's not really a terrible job, either.
I may eventually have an indy remove it but not my local. He missed the front end clunk thinking it was a air shock issue and recommended I take it to the dealer. Nope! So when I changed front pads and oil I looked at the sway bar links and guess what. I even inquired about changing the plugs but the reply was “we don’t do that until you have a misfire and then we install new plugs and coil's”.
I hear there’s a good indy in Birmingham and Atlanta so we shall see.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this service done at AUDI Omaha last month.
No leaks detected yet, oil OR coolant. 93000 miles

Excellent work. Tip of the hat to THIS SHOP!