A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK: Garage flooring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snowsnob
What about all the snow/salt and water? Does it stay on top or seeps through the boards onto concrete? Really curious as well, I'm garage remodel and was looking at this product!
No snow here and water cattied in from the car just drains through the cracks. If you expect large amount of water they heave perforated tiles for drainage. All the tiles are molded to allow water to drain out if your garage floor is sloped.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Allzwell
Buyer beware for "U Coat It" -
I had their installer come and do my 3 car garage with their products, after 4 or 5 tries it's still an awful mess.
Their lifetime warranty only seems to cover the length of time that you are satisfied, after that - it's up.
In full disclosure, they will refund your money but then you're left with a garage floor that comes up in chunks, it can't be undone.
Any coated application of concrete will come off. The best in the business is Stonehard, but even that come up under long use.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had epoxy and to get a real-deal installation it is expensive and you are getting into porcelain tile territory. Porcelain would be superior to epoxy in looks and performance. The home epoxy kits from lowes never last if you are actually using your garage.

So with my current garage I am going with Swisstrax. It isn't clackity and debris falls under so you can later vacuum it up. Water evaporates under it. Panels are replaceable and the cost is much lower. I may do porcelain in the future but for now I am going with Swisstrax.

Last edited by Psy Wagon; 01-08-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the epoxy coating in one of my previous garages, I work on my cars and whenever anything dropped onto the floor it went CAMO on me, I could never find it unless it was a large bit, but nuts and bolts, forget about it. Overall the floor was very nice and held up well. I also has the Swiss trax floor - loud as hell when you walk on it and you'll go deaf when you drag a floor jack across it, it was also tough on the knees (Diamond Plate pattern) but it held up well and looked GREAT!

I currently use BLT's roll out vinyl floor covering >> https://www.bltllc.com/products/g-floor-vinyl-flooring/

I love this the most, I drag it out onto the driveway and pressure wash it in the spring - super durable.
The following users liked this post:
mikesvwservice (05-02-2023)
Old 01-10-2018, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put tiles from this company https://duramat.co.uk/category/garage-flooring/ and I don't recommend it. They are not flat and raising at the corners. When manoeuvring with A8, they get twisted and detach from each other. It's a bit better with smaller car but still have to be carefull not to do full wheel lock on them.

I painted floor with Diamond Hard Garage Floor Paint from Ronseal before putting the tiles and I think, I should have left it this way. I read that it may come off when driving in with hot wheels but it didn't happen. I put 3 or 4 layers of paint. That's picture from work in progress last year:

Last edited by UnseenS8; 01-10-2018 at 08:31 AM.
mikesvwservice (05-02-2023)
Old 05-29-2022, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, so I moved into a new home one year ago. It did not have a garage, so waited the year out.

In the process now of getting it built. Like almost 90% of the homes in my area it will be detached.

I have been going back and forth trying to decide what type of flooring to go with. Been doing a lot of research, joined Garagejournal.com to help in my research as well.

Jumped on the Sherwin Williams sale last week and bought their H&C shield-crete epoxy, but may return it. Have seen people using VCT, the locking tiles, but that option is real expensve, and now, to my surprises on garagejournal.com rectified porcelain tiles. Which look amazing. An you can find tiles in clearance for under .99/sq.ft.

Can't wait for the garage to get done, as I get another project to do around the house, with the shelving an flooring.

Curious to see what some of you guys have done in regards to flooring in your garages. How have they held up? Do you guys do work on your cars in them?
Old 05-30-2022, 10:13 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 486 Likes on 387 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/oth...iscussion-131/
Oh, just grant me the power...
Old 06-13-2022, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by stephaniefisher
Hello. I have thought about all options for my new Garage Floor and I want to go with tiles. There are a few good brands like Swiss Trak and Racedeck.
Does anyone have experience with either? I'm leaning towards Swiss Trak but man it's about $2000.00 to buy the tiles and the ramps.
The good stuff is expensive but it looks good, and if you are really dressing up the garage it is a nice way to go especially if you want a custom design.. I did my floor in the most inexpensive tiles I could find (1200.00 for a 3 car garage - purchased about 3yrs ago from BigFloors) and I am quite happy with it. Got the look I wanted and it is wearing fine and easy to clean. Jacking a car on the cheap tiles can be done if your jack stands have wide feet which I would recommend for any of the tile floors.

All that dirt on the floor just mops right up with a little warm water and a mild cleanter.

UK:  Garage flooring?-jbg4kkr.jpg
09S5 (06-21-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 181 Likes on 140 Posts

I originally had the Racedeck tiles. I liked them, wife hated them. She complained they hurt her feet when barefoot. My only real complaints were it was kind of a pain if you dropped a screw or something and cutting them perfectly straight along the edges was a chore. They are a bit expensive but it’s easy to design your floor on their website and snapping the tiles together is simple. I’ve had epoxy floors in the past so I went back to that. There are pros and cons to both. Dropping a screw is a pain too on the epoxy since it blends in with the chips but I do like the clean edges and gloss look (clear coat). There’s also prep work on the floor that the tiles don’t require and it can get slippery if wet. They both cost me about the same, $2100. My garage is a tandem two-car, about 500 sq ft.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:22 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 486 Likes on 387 Posts

This thread has been posted in the wrong forum.