A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warm up time

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 01:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Warm up time

How long do your cars take to warm up? I mean internally, in the cabin.

It was freezing this morning, temperature was -1oC (about 30oF for you guys from the most advanced country in the world, after Scotland of course, we invented the TV after all, that also use a weird old way of measuring temperature) and it took about 15 minutes before I was feeling snug in the cabin. I had the seat heaters on full and they were nice and warm within a minute or so and had the heating on hi but still seems to take a bit of a long time for a premium car...

Old 10-30-2018, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Davey. Are you at idle? Driving city or low RPM, highway? Regardless, that seems too long. Could be heater core valve issue provided you haven’t noticed any engine overheating issues in the summer.

Not quite that cold yet in Michigan (low 40s F in the a.m.) but I will start paying attention. The S8 RPMs are regulated at 5500 rpm until the engine oil reaches a specific temp which takes about 3-5 minutes under low-medium load driving. After which the limiter jumps to 6500ish. Not sure if the A8 does the same, but if so, that would be a good indicator that everything is working on the engine side (or not) and you should feel your vents pump out warm air shortly thereafter.

Maybe not the technical answer you’re looking for but I agree that your situation doesn’t feel normal.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dgbaudiphile
Hey Davey. Are you at idle? Driving city or low RPM, highway? Regardless, that seems too long. Could be heater core valve issue provided you haven’t noticed any engine overheating issues in the summer.

Not quite that cold yet in Michigan (low 40s F in the a.m.) but I will start paying attention. The S8 RPMs are regulated at 5500 rpm until the engine oil reaches a specific temp which takes about 3-5 minutes under low-medium load driving. After which the limiter jumps to 6500ish. Not sure if the A8 does the same, but if so, that would be a good indicator that everything is working on the engine side (or not) and you should feel your vents pump out warm air shortly thereafter.

Maybe not the technical answer you’re looking for but I agree that your situation doesn’t feel normal.
I basically get in the car (3.0L TDI), fire it up and head off. Driving at about 30 - 50 miles an hour for 10 minutes and then 70mph on the motorway. No issues with engine overheating. Car is a 2016 with 10K on the clock. Warranty issue...?
Old 10-30-2018, 03:36 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Are you wearing just a t-shirt?
I hear there is some fine wool available in your area!
Old 10-30-2018, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
Are you wearing just a t-shirt?
I hear there is some fine wool available in your area!
What....??? You're supposed to wear clothes when driving...! That explains quite a bit. Will make cleaning the seats easier too...
Old 10-30-2018, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Dave, you should find out if your car is fitted with the supplemental (resistance) heating. Some of the cars sent to the USA now have this feature...typically the ones that are slow to warm up on very cold days. On my wife's '15 Q5, this auxiliary heater can be switched on/off via the MMI system.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Dave, you should find out if your car is fitted with the supplemental (resistance) heating. Some of the cars sent to the USA now have this feature...typically the ones that are slow to warm up on very cold days. On my wife's '15 Q5, this auxiliary heater can be switched on/off via the MMI system.
I had a wee look this morning in the MMI and there was a setting for auxiliary heating and it could either be set to auto or off, mine was set to auto.

Any thoughts on how I'd tell if I have this supplemental (resistance) heating? Do you mean that cars with those tend to warm up slower or that they have this extra heating because they warm up slower?
Old 10-30-2018, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just checked with the local dealer and there are no outstanding recalls on my car (there have been some for aux heaters in Audi's in the past) so I can score that off my list of possible causes.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Davey,

I seem to recall from reading German forums that the TDI engines are thermally much more efficient and don't create sufficient excess heat to efficiently warm the interior of the vehicle quickly. That's why the TDI engines should have an auxiliary electric heater.

There is a previous thread about this issue:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2896303/page3/

I hope there's something helpful there.

I'm still jealous you get to live in Scotland - I'm in Austin, TX and it's 24C right now - no need to mess with the heater ...

Originally Posted by davey_b
How long do your cars take to warm up? I mean internally, in the cabin.

It was freezing this morning, temperature was -1oC (about 30oF for you guys from the most advanced country in the world, after Scotland of course, we invented the TV after all, that also use a weird old way of measuring temperature) and it took about 15 minutes before I was feeling snug in the cabin. I had the seat heaters on full and they were nice and warm within a minute or so and had the heating on hi but still seems to take a bit of a long time for a premium car...
Old 10-30-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Austin A6 3.2
Davey,

I seem to recall from reading German forums that the TDI engines are thermally much more efficient and don't create sufficient excess heat to efficiently warm the interior of the vehicle quickly. That's why the TDI engines should have an auxiliary electric heater.

There is a previous thread about this issue:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2896303/page3/

I hope there's something helpful there.

I'm still jealous you get to live in Scotland - I'm in Austin, TX and it's 24C right now - no need to mess with the heater ...
Thanks for that link, gives some good info about settings, I'll try them tomorrow morning.

Not quite sure why you're jealous of our freezing temperatures, I'll happily swap you for 24oC if you want 😁

Quick Reply: Warm up time