A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waxing tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Waxing tips

Planning to wax my car next week and looking for tips as I've never waxed a car before. What wax would you recommend (my car is black if that makes any difference). Any plastic or anything like that that I need to be particularly careful of getting wax on? Any tips for application and removal? Planning to do it by hand rather than machine.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by davey_b
Planning to wax my car next week and looking for tips as I've never waxed a car before. What wax would you recommend (my car is black if that makes any difference). Any plastic or anything like that that I need to be particularly careful of getting wax on? Any tips for application and removal? Planning to do it by hand rather than machine.
Wash and Clay the car first. You can use a clay bar, clay block, or clay mitt. Do not swirl the wax on. Apply in straight lines. On the horizontal parts of the car (hood[bonnet], roof, trunk[boot]) go from front to back and not side to side. On the vertical parts go from top to bottom.

The objective is to minimize swirls as they're a pain to get out and very visible.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

https://www.turtlewax.com/our-produc...-dry-spray-wax

That's what I am using and it works amazing!! I have Night Blue Pearl Effect on my 2013 and Emerald Black Metallic [Green] on 2011.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:04 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

I purchased an inexpensive buffer to remove wax and it works quite well. The key is to purchase additional pads, and I discard them after each use. You must be extra careful how you store the pads, and even watch where you set the buffer down during use so as to not get a single contaminant on the pad.
As to the wax, I have found carnuba still reigns supreme. I have even tested carnuba vs others by doing my hood half-and-half and carnuba still lasts longer and shines brighter. My A8 is the Phantom Black pearl effect.
The application of the wax as described above is spot-on. Have fun!
And DO NOT apply with the car in direct sunlight.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Advice???? You don't have any idea how big the car is until you get started on this project. If you don't have an orbital buffer of some kind that is the first thing to purchase, even before the clay and the wax. Carnuba is still my favorite and never use a product that is a "cleaner wax." Buy good quality 100% carnuba and allocate all day to the job, especially if you are starting with a wash and then a clay before starting the wax.

Oh, and a six pack or two may be required.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:32 PM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Advice???? You don't have any idea how big the car is until you get started on this project. If you don't have an orbital buffer of some kind that is the first thing to purchase, even before the clay and the wax. Carnuba is still my favorite and never use a product that is a "cleaner wax." Buy good quality 100% carnuba and allocate all day to the job, especially if you are starting with a wash and then a clay before starting the wax.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

A good quick option is the sonax brilliant shine quick detailer. If you have a pressure washer, the carpro hydro2 (just make sure the car is cold)
Old 10-08-2018, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

6 pack ..? I'm Scottish, we're all completely tea - total over here..... *cough*
​​
Old 10-09-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get some IronX to remove the deposits that clay will not. CarPro sells some on amazon. You would apply it after washing thoroughly and before claying.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beware of bad advice on forums. Do not clay a car unless you plan on polishing it afterward, particularly on dark colors.

Quick Reply: Waxing tips