A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, the dreaded 1K/3K rpm vibration finally reared it’s ugly head on my car 😣

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Well, the dreaded 1K/3K rpm vibration finally reared it’s ugly head on my car 😣

Good news/Bad news:

The good: Hadn’t actually felt the vibration when driving, but with the factory warranty soon ending and an annual service visit scheduled for next week, I tested for it while sitting idle in my garage—Low and behold, it was there. Could feel the vibration with my hand touching the door sill, and also in the front seat bottoms. Dealer service advisor felt it right away, had a tech check it, and ordered new downpipes to install next Saturday under warranty.

The bad: Front rotors are warped, needing replacement. That I had been feeling, and the pads still have miles left on them—darn!
Old 11-11-2018, 07:14 PM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

I just had the vibe fixed...new downpipes on my '15 4.0 have really made the vibes disappear. Just turned 29k miles, and need rotors and pads front and rear. One dealer quoted $2600. I found another dealer who quoted $2100. I like having $500 in my pocket, or just in reserve for the next visit....
Old 11-11-2018, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Or, buy the parts from a discounted on line dealer for another grand in your pocket and DIY it. If not up for DIY, maybe an indy to still use those parts at 20%+ less and similarly pay less for the labor.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Good news/Bad news:

The good: Hadn’t actually felt the vibration when driving, but with the factory warranty soon ending and an annual service visit scheduled for next week, I tested for it while sitting idle in my garage—Low and behold, it was there. Could feel the vibration with my hand touching the door sill, and also in the front seat bottoms. Dealer service advisor felt it right away, had a tech check it, and ordered new downpipes to install next Saturday under warranty.

The bad: Front rotors are warped, needing replacement. That I had been feeling, and the pads still have miles left on them—darn!
derfA8L,

Have many miles on your car when you noticed the vibration? Can you feel it when driving or only when in neutral?

I have a 2015 CPO A8L 4.0T with 35,000 miles and don't feel the vibration...yet. Maybe I need to try harder. Interesting that it comes on with age as things loosen up.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
I just had the vibe fixed...new downpipes on my '15 4.0 have really made the vibes disappear. Just turned 29k miles, and need rotors and pads front and rear. One dealer quoted $2600. I found another dealer who quoted $2100. I like having $500 in my pocket, or just in reserve for the next visit....

I see this happening all the time....

Have you compared the two estimates to see where the 500 dollars came from?

Old 11-12-2018, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by guido55
derfA8L,

Have many miles on your car when you noticed the vibration? Can you feel it when driving or only when in neutral?

I have a 2015 CPO A8L 4.0T with 35,000 miles and don't feel the vibration...yet. Maybe I need to try harder. Interesting that it comes on with age as things loosen up.
26,265 when I brought it in on Saturday. Not noticed when driving—Only when gunning it in Park or Neutral.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:32 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewmr
I see this happening all the time....

Have you compared the two estimates to see where the 500 dollars came from?
I did not get them in writing, but the second estimator said front & rears were not the exact same price ( I think $1200 & $900) while the higher-dollar estimate was a flat $1300 per axle.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

So thanks to this post, I never thought to check when sitting idle.
I have had my S8 about 6 months maybe and never felt a thing whilst driving. However, I literally just tested it in the driveway, sure enough, there is definite vibration when I hold it at 3k (didn't really notice anything at 1k).

Here is the issue - my car literally has 350 miles left on the warranty!! My local Audi dealership is awful and usually takes a week or 2 to get in. I have a feeling they won't do anything about this. I believe this is a known issue with these cars, anything direct from Audi US that I can refer them to?
Luckily I can use my everyday driving car for work and leave the S8 parked up for a little while.

The vibration was definitely there, you just had to know what you were looking for.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Assuming your dealer is close by..... stop by and take the service rep out for a drive and show him what you are talking about. Assuming he feels the problem and agrees it's the downpipes, he can order parts and put you in rotation and all of that can happen within the 350 miles remaining.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Kelzo
So thanks to this post, I never thought to check when sitting idle.
I have had my S8 about 6 months maybe and never felt a thing whilst driving. However, I literally just tested it in the driveway, sure enough, there is definite vibration when I hold it at 3k (didn't really notice anything at 1k).

Here is the issue - my car literally has 350 miles left on the warranty!! My local Audi dealership is awful and usually takes a week or 2 to get in. I have a feeling they won't do anything about this. I believe this is a known issue with these cars, anything direct from Audi US that I can refer them to?
Luckily I can use my everyday driving car for work and leave the S8 parked up for a little while.

The vibration was definitely there, you just had to know what you were looking for.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Glad you benefited from the post. My advice: get the car to your dealer pronto and have them confirm what you found. They can create an open RO (and order the needed parts) that should hold this repair to your warranty. There is a TSB on this that they can easily look up.

Quick Reply: Well, the dreaded 1K/3K rpm vibration finally reared it’s ugly head on my car 😣