A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should Audi add to its cars/service?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What should Audi add to its cars/service?

Original post below. This is a summary of items suggested

What Audi should add to the A8 line

1. larger trunk for A8
2. online service appointment scheduling
3. no more nickel-and-diming over things like Audi Connect
4. Better camera resolution. VGA is so...1980's
5. Door handles that disappear (like Tesla) when the key isn't present.
6. Ability to display tire pressures, including spare (like Toyota Camry)
7. Larger MMI display (10") for driver/center console with higher resolution/PPI. This is the age of "Retina" displays
8. "Find My Audi" app that can be disabled at the car for privacy.
9. 4G/LTE connectivity on real carriers, not just T-Mobile
10. MMI TV Tuner option
11. Cupholders that don't guarantee shorting out 50 controls the first time there's a spill
12. Smaller keys
13. Option for a passenger seat entertainment (PSE) display similar to the RSE
14. Add MMI option to have the MMI display NOT pop up unless requested or, optionally, when backing up
15. Optional Peltier refrigeration unit
16. More tire/rim options
17. Lap timer/chrono option
18. Lighter steering option when in dynamic mode
19. Heated shift lever (in addition to steering wheel, which is already heated)
20. Separate AMI for #13 (passenger seat entertainment)
21. Option for larger MMI hard disk
22. MPEG4 (H.264) playback for video
23. Blu-Ray support
24. AirPlay/DLNA interface so movies can be played from an iTunes/NetFlix account

--------------------------------------

Has anyone here given consideration to the Equus? As a long, long time Audi driver, I'm not exactly fond of Japanese cars. I find them soul-less, but reliable. One day when I no longer have teeth, or hair, or hips, I may prefer to sit on the sofa while I drive. No...actually, even my sofa has more road feel than a Lexus.

Yet, if you're the type who would actually put the Lexus LS in the same league as an Audi A8 or a Porsche Panamera, I found the Equus to be a better-than-the-original imitation. While I couldn't bear to drive around with a big "LOSER" symbol on my grille, the Equus I rode in was a surprising compromise. I found myself thinking that, if they eventually introduce a "sport" version, I would consider them a player.

Most impressive are some of the services offered...they bring a replacement Equus to you when yours needs to go to the shop, the 10-year/100,000 mile warranty, online service appointment scheduling. Audi could take a few clues from them.

I almost bought a Tesla...until I examined the cabin. It has incredible performance, but it feels chintzy. You just have to drive one to see what I mean.

What does Audi need to do to keep your business next time around?

I'd like to see...

1. Online service appointment scheduling
2. More MMI customizations available
3. No more nickel-and-diming over things like Audi Connect
4. Disappearing door handles (absolutely awesome on the Tesla...the handles don't appear unless the key is near the car)
5. Larger in-dash (DIS) and center console displays. The Tesla's 17" panel is gorgeous, though I'd rather not have a touch interface. If the MMI were 10", with higher resolution/PPI, it would be incredible!
6. Option for a passenger-side entertainment system similar to RSE. It's not good when your lone passenger wants to sit in the back so they can watch a movie while you drive. Oh, and the RSE displays should flip down from the ceiling, not be permanently mounted.
7. Smaller keys. The new ones are HUGE(!)
8. Ability to display the tire pressures from the TPMS (Toyota Camry does this).
9. I would love to have an S8L with the gorgeous ming blue paint (deep blue with specks of purple and gold, like an antique ming vase) of my first A6, blue Alcantara on the sides, royal blue interior with vanilla seating and Snow White Alcantara for the headliner. That, my friends, would be the perfect car.
10. I know it's gimmick-y, but I would love it if there were an option to have the exterior Audi "rings" illuminate at night...a blue-white LED shining at just the right angle...the last thing you'd see would be my 4 rings disappearing into the distance. *sigh*

Last edited by wilfred2k5; 01-06-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Added AirPlay/DLNA
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Completely agree on points 1, 3, 7, 8 and 9.
Especially #8 !

I'd also like to see:
- Better camera resolution
- An app like Find My iPhone for the Audi - it's already got the GPS and network...
- 4G/LTE connectivity which is already slated for 2015 so I hear
- Standard coolbox/refrigerator with Pelletier to reduce size - I carry one in the back on long trips and it works well
- More options for tires in the D4 size wheels
- TV tuner in MMI since mine is a mobile office
- Additional in cabin storage for smallish items
- Better gate remote options - mine doesn't even recognize my standalone remote

Will likely have more, but I've only had two cups of coffee so far....
Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I would like a larger trunk on the A8/S8.
This is probably the biggest letdown of the current model.

If it had a larger trunk, that would absolutely seal the deal for me on my next car purchase.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ideas.

I'm surprised you don't have the TV Tuner in the US. The signal here in the UK is generally poor, but it's better than nothing.

Passenger seat entertainment, a little like split-view. They should have sorted out the licensing for that a long time ago. I wonder why it's not been done.

Cupholders - maybe like the Q5 where there's an option to cool/heat the cups.

I'd like the following (on top of things already mentioned):

- An "S" type diesel
- Sports exhaust option
- "Plus" pack for more power
- More space under the armrest (vaguely remember seeing a car at one dealer with a deep deep hole there but don't know the spec)
- Steering that wasn't so heavy in Dynamic mode
- Lap Timer/chrono pack
- Cooled/heated gear lever (already got a request in for this)
- Multi-device connectivity to MMI, for example USB and IPod at the same time
- Universal charging socket in armrest e.g a lighter socket or mini-usb/iphone charger as there is on the A6/7
- Fix the water vapour issue for the front screen (particularly bad on the S8 which actually dripped water onto the dash)
- Faster boot up MMI and whilst at it, fix the annoying bugs!
- Be able to record from the cameras onto a device
- Ability to expand the hard drive
- Ability to control RSE from the front
- Speed/sensitivity adjustment for MMI touch to save time between typing letters
- With 4G, be able to stream from YouTube for example (for RSE of course)
- Blu-ray support
- "mkv" and "mp4" support
Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 AM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to be able to toggle betwwen adaptive cruise control, and regular cruise control. There are times when I'd like old style on.

A usb plug, although audi went wireless bluetooth, Charging via usb would be nice. (without adapters)

pushbutton on steering wheel to toggle between all 4 modes (dynamic,auto,comfort,individual)

better seat construction in the seat area. My seats are loose/baggy as hell after the first tank of gas. The new style seems to stretch badly. (or maybe its just my car?)

oil dipstick.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its amazing how many options other countries get that we don't get in the US, like refrigerators and tv tuners as well as a ton of different engine options. Maybe one day we will get them here.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As I just got mine a few months ago, the next model changes are not an issue at this time.

I agree with some of the list above but there are some things that the current car needs and can be addressed now.

1. My biggest issue is the lag when you step on the gas.

If you punch it, THE CAR FLIES....but this is not great for daily driving with the family in the car.

I find that I can feather it better as I get used to the car, but the lag is too noticeable to me. In our A4, RS6, Toyota Sienna, prior BMW's etc, when you push the gas pedal a little bit, the car moves, no so with the A8.

I understand this was an issue on the S5 and was addressed with a reprogram. Any ideas?

2. The MMI needs some tweaking. There is NO reason why the thing does not remember where you left off the last time the iphone/ipod was connected and continue from that podcast/song. It does it some times. Some times after a short absence from the car, sometimes even over night. I'll park at work at 7 am and come out at midnight and the thing picks up where I left off, but about 1/2 the time it just starts out with the first or second play list. And the thing likes to mess up the play order on it's own.

3. The MMI should recall if you chose random play, it does not.

4. There should be a 'from the dealer' rear seat display option (not strap on BS or replace the headrest BS) but a mount like the factory rear seat monitors that you can buy at the parts counter and add onto the car yourself, perhaps a universal mount for display or ipad or similar. I think such an item would sell well.

5. As above, but the a video out from the MMI to the rear would then allow you to play video from the MMI to the rear (I'll leave the VIM to be done by the driver (LOL), but the option to run the video to the back would be nice.) If you buy the RSE you end up with a 'ordered' car and then get tempted to do stupid things like buy the LED lights and B&O and end up raising the price of the car to the S8 LOL....then you get the S8.....LOL....

6. Cell network connection. This was a surprise to me. G3 WTF G3.....the band width is terrible and you can't really connect a device and do any real internet work. The Module for the cell network should have been designed FROM THE BEGINNING as a separate part which could be upgraded 3, 4, 10 years later as an 'buy from Audi' upgrade. But as the SIM car plugs into the MMI dash unit, you're stuck with that size SIM card and that G3 connection. I think that was a big Audi mistake, much like the On-star being only Analog in car's being sold after On-star was already being supplied on Digital networks.

7. Put the controls for the rear seat heated seats (at the least) somewhere else so the rear seat passengers can enjoy the Rear Seat Heat even when the little brother is sitting in the middle seat. You can control the climate control from the front (VIM lets you do this at speed LOL), but not the heated seats.

These are all minor issues, the car is great. I love the performance, love the automatic head lights lighting the side of the road, moving with the curve of the road, love the stereo system (especially with VID, so kids can watch a movie (rather have some rear seat monitors), iphone connectivity is great......

Mike
Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! I actually know something Mike doesn't know for a change. Let me quickly enjoy my moment in the ruby/polar interior lighting (errr...sun)!

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
As I just got mine a few months ago, the next model changes are not an issue at this time.

I agree with some of the list above but there are some things that the current car needs and can be addressed now.

1. My biggest issue is the lag when you step on the gas.

If you punch it, THE CAR FLIES....but this is not great for daily driving with the family in the car.

I find that I can feather it better as I get used to the car, but the lag is too noticeable to me. In our A4, RS6, Toyota Sienna, prior BMW's etc, when you push the gas pedal a little bit, the car moves, no so with the A8.

6. Cell network connection. This was a surprise to me. G3 WTF G3.....the band width is terrible and you can't really connect a device and do any real internet work. The Module for the cell network should have been designed FROM THE BEGINNING as a separate part which could be upgraded 3, 4, 10 years later as an 'buy from Audi' upgrade. But as the SIM car plugs into the MMI dash unit, you're stuck with that size SIM card and that G3 connection. I think that was a big Audi mistake, much like the On-star being only Analog in car's being sold after On-star was already being supplied on Digital networks.

7. Put the controls for the rear seat heated seats (at the least) somewhere else so the rear seat passengers can enjoy the Rear Seat Heat even when the little brother is sitting in the middle seat. You can control the climate control from the front (VIM lets you do this at speed LOL), but not the heated seats.

Mike
1. I've noticed that if you tap the "M" button on the steering wheel, you get immediate response from the throttle, and the car acts more like "dynamic" if you're in auto drive select mode.

Audi had that big "sudden acceleration" problem a few years back, so if the brake pedal isn't absolutely untouched, the wheel isn't absolutely straight, etc, it pauses. This happened even with my 2001.

The worst thing is that, if you're sitting in traffic, **** the wheel so you can jump into the next lane that's actually moving and mash the throttle, the car won't do anything for about 2-3 seconds. I've done that, timed my exit and had time to get on the brakes again while my passenger wondered why I suddenly broke out in a cold sweat.

Also, if you mash the throttle and you get hesitation, a second full depress, even if it's immediate, will let loose the hounds of Hell, and you'll get what should've happened the first time.

Audi considers this a feature so that your wife can't go on 60 Minutes claiming she was trying to hit the brakes, but the car ran over you and kept going full throttle. Audi also sells toothpicks for these situations so that concerned husbands can sleep with one eye open.

6. I believe the SIM module is a separate part already that forms the base of the MMI, along with the SD cards and 40GB hard disk mount.

7. Actually, you CAN control heating and ventilation for the rear seats from the front MMI. At least when my seat controls were working, selecting the option where the front controlled the rear seats made ALL rear seat options echo the front driver and passenger. I was able to turn select rear, put vent on the rear driver's, heating on the passenger driver's, unselect rear control and note that the front blue and red LED's were unchanged while the rear ones copied the front. I have the 3-person bench in the rear, and was able to lower the rear armrest and watch the effect on the controls.

So there! I'm not a worthless old coot sucking at the teat of AudiWorld after all!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetinder
Nice ideas.

I'm surprised you don't have the TV Tuner in the US. The signal here in the UK is generally poor, but it's better than nothing.

Passenger seat entertainment, a little like split-view. They should have sorted out the licensing for that a long time ago. I wonder why it's not been done.

Cupholders - maybe like the Q5 where there's an option to cool/heat the cups.

I'd like the following (on top of things already mentioned):

- An "S" type diesel
- Sports exhaust option
- "Plus" pack for more power
- More space under the armrest (vaguely remember seeing a car at one dealer with a deep deep hole there but don't know the spec)
- Steering that wasn't so heavy in Dynamic mode
- Lap Timer/chrono pack
- Cooled/heated gear lever (already got a request in for this)
- Multi-device connectivity to MMI, for example USB and IPod at the same time
- Universal charging socket in armrest e.g a lighter socket or mini-usb/iphone charger as there is on the A6/7
- Fix the water vapour issue for the front screen (particularly bad on the S8 which actually dripped water onto the dash)
- Faster boot up MMI and whilst at it, fix the annoying bugs!
- Be able to record from the cameras onto a device
- Ability to expand the hard drive
- Ability to control RSE from the front
- Speed/sensitivity adjustment for MMI touch to save time between typing letters
- With 4G, be able to stream from YouTube for example (for RSE of course)
- Blu-ray support
- "mkv" and "mp4" support
The deep armrest compartment is on the NWB/LWB without the 4-zone climate control. Ducting and wiring take up space resulting in a shallow space. Mine without the 4-zone is about 5" deep.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Um. I drive in manual most the time as I do in the RS6.

I'll try the straight steering wheel angle.

Being able to upgrade to Lte would be nice as the connectivity for iPads etc is useless on the 3G.

Still I love the car!

Quick Reply: What should Audi add to its cars/service?