A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 A8L Sports Exterior package

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default 2020 A8L Sports Exterior package

If ordered as a stand alone option this is what the D5 Sports Exterior package looks like (trim is in chrome vs. when ordered with the Black Optics package).

Sport exterior package

The package includes:
  • Front bumper with large aluminum blade
  • Rear bumper in aluminum
  • Side sills in a sporty and distinctive design
  • Insert in rear bumper in honeycomb structure in matt black

Last edited by derfA8L; 05-26-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The rear low bumper looks really better with this option, the exhaust being separated from the chrome trim..
Old 05-31-2019, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion the sport package is the only way to go. It gives it a more aggressive look. I wish they had better wheel selection though.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
If ordered as a stand alone option this is what the D5 Sports Exterior package looks like (trim is in chrome vs. when ordered with the Black Optics package).

Sport exterior package

The package includes:
  • Front bumper with large aluminum blade
  • Rear bumper in aluminum
  • Side sills in a sporty and distinctive design
  • Insert in rear bumper in honeycomb structure in matt black

Exhaust pipes go through the exhaust ports?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by bravo659
Exhaust pipes go through the exhaust ports?
No, they are all fake! Sadly.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I hope this starts stimulating the sales of the D5 A8 which is practically dead on arrival with dismal sales and boring body and only a V6. Audi messed this one up. The d3 facelift was the sexiest one then came the D4 which is what we have now and the new D5 doesnt engage us nor interests me. I am waiting out for V8 and the sports package and better looking rims to change it up a bit.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I hope this starts stimulating the sales of the D5 A8 which is practically dead on arrival with dismal sales and boring body and only a V6. Audi messed this one up. The d3 facelift was the sexiest one then came the D4 which is what we have now and the new D5 doesnt engage us nor interestsme. I am waiting out for V8 and the sports package and better looking rims to change it up a bit.
Well, the V8 is now in the order guide for 2019 and 2020. For 2020 you can order the Sports or Black Optics exterior packages. Perhaps your wait will soon end 😉
Old 06-05-2019, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I hope this starts stimulating the sales of the D5 A8 which is practically dead on arrival with dismal sales and boring body and only a V6. Audi messed this one up. The d3 facelift was the sexiest one then came the D4 which is what we have now and the new D5 doesnt engage us nor interests me. I am waiting out for V8 and the sports package and better looking rims to change it up a bit.
I'm curious from where this is based off of? The D5 sales numbers are in line with flagship sedans these days. It's one main reason why there are no significant factory incentives on this model
Old 06-05-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I'm curious from where this is based off of? The D5 sales numbers are in line with flagship sedans these days. It's one main reason why there are no significant factory incentives on this model
I don't have any insider info - rather, anecdotal evidence... I live in a part of Los Angeles Metro that is notorious for having the latest and greatest German luxury sedans on the roads days after availability. All this time, I have only seen one D5 in Seville Red. I've seen quite a few Q8s and new A7s, but the D5 A8L count still holds at one. My local dealer also has had the same 13 A8Ls on the lot for roughly the last 3 months.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AugustHorch
I don't have any insider info - rather, anecdotal evidence... I live in a part of Los Angeles Metro that is notorious for having the latest and greatest German luxury sedans on the roads days after availability. All this time, I have only seen one D5 in Seville Red. I've seen quite a few Q8s and new A7s, but the D5 A8L count still holds at one. My local dealer also has had the same 13 A8Ls on the lot for roughly the last 3 months.
Yeah fair point, and unlike most car enthusiasts my hope/vote is the fewer D5s the better! That said, we can always look towards some sort of objective data, and I found some!

S class by month: Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sales Figures | GCBC
A8 by month: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/0...sales-figures/

One can look up data to one's content, but because the luxury car sedan demand has plummeted it's probably skewed to compare a Q8 to an A8, but if we look across the board at this sedan category, from a % of A8s sold in 2014 versus the S class (I looked at two months), the share of the A8 is actually increasing now in 2019. I chose 2014 because that's when the current S class (W222) came out (IIRC).

I know that BMW/Lexus and Mercedes are running some absolutely killer deals/discounts for their respective flagships, while there's nothing on the A8 with one of the worst financing offers vis a vis the other makers but even from there, it's difficult to discern the specific reasons.

All of the energy above simply is to share my viewpoint that yes all luxo barge sedan sales are down, but the A8, is IMHO based on the info I see, holding its own! But yes, the fewer of these I see, the better (and for the record, I still have only seen one in my area - which is...well, mine)

I'm not sure with respect to your anecdotal reference if there's any merit to my belief here because I know close to nothing about LA: The A8 is one of the most understated luxury flagship automobiles, and I will go one step farther and say perhaps the D5 is the most understated iteration of Audi's flagship thus far. The D4 was certainly more "out there" vs the competition than the A8 is today, despite my experiences with it thus far. (just speaking on behalf of what little common sense I have). Maybe the LA market isn't the ideal demographic for the D5? If I want someone to know I'm driving a flagship, the A8 is probably the last car I would buy...but then again, I fit the exact opposite bucket!

Last edited by angrypengu; 06-05-2019 at 05:04 PM.