A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 D5 S8 Announced...563-hp 4.0T V8 LWB for the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default 2020 D5 S8 Announced...563-hp 4.0T V8 LWB for the U.S.

Arrives in U.S. in as 2020MY. No SWB, only LWB version for the U.S. Both the Predictive Active Suspension and the Dynamic Sport Rear Axle are standard equipment.

Link to Motor Authority article:
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...horsepower-v-8

Link to motor1 article:
https://www.motor1.com/news/357597/a...rrives-563-hp/

Last edited by derfA8L; 07-02-2019 at 03:55 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by derfA8L:
angrypengu (07-02-2019), ArchieStanton (07-02-2019), critter6835 (07-02-2019), D3AeighT (07-15-2019), kmk786 (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Arrives in U.S. in as 2020MY. No SWB, only LWB version for the U.S. Both the Predictive Active Suspension and the Dynamic Sport Rear Axle are standard equipment.

Link to Motor Authority article:
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...horsepower-v-8

Link to motor1 article:
https://www.motor1.com/news/357597/a...rrives-563-hp/
Interesting and thanks for sharing. Is this the same motor then that had the turbo starvation issue?

Also curious is the suspension limiting roll to five degrees in the comfort setting. So if anything it means a more stable albeit firmer ride when cornering. There is no way to have one's cake and eat it too, but that makes sense due to the S nature of this 8!

There is mention of a curve function in obd11 but I guess they are not introducing it in the D5 like how the S class has it for models fitted with ABC.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Interesting and thanks for sharing. Is this the same motor then that had the turbo starvation issue?

Also curious is the suspension limiting roll to five degrees in the comfort setting. So if anything it means a more stable albeit firmer ride when cornering. There is no way to have one's cake and eat it too, but that makes sense due to the S nature of this 8! There is mention of a curve function in obd11 but I guess they are not introducing it in the D5 like how the S class has it for models fitted with ABC.
Like the new V6, the twin turbo V8 is a Porsche re-design of the D4 gen 4.0T engine. I’m guessing here, but I’d think the clogged turbo oil screen issue should have been addressed. But there’s not much direct info on this yet. Yes, the S8 suspension will be a bit firmer than the A8, but I suppose in the LWB version, this is especially needed, even more so than for the SWB model.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Like the new V6, the twin turbo V8 is a Porsche re-design of the D4 gen 4.0T engine. I’m guessing here, but I’d think the clogged turbo oil screen issue should have been addressed. But there’s not much direct info on this yet. Yes, the S8 suspension will be a bit firmer than the A8, but I suppose in the LWB version, this is especially needed, even more so than for the SWB model.
Thanks! Btw, this is what got me curious! "predecessor's 4.0-liter twin-turbocharged V-8 but pairs this with a mild-hybrid system"

When I read the word predecessor that's what got me wondering. It leads me to believe that it doesn't get the redesigned engine which is what had me confused but I think I'm missing something here as I don't usually follow the V8 engines!
Old 07-02-2019, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks! Btw, this is what got me curious! "predecessor's 4.0-liter twin-turbocharged V-8 but pairs this with a mild-hybrid system"

When I read the word predecessor that's what got me wondering. It leads me to believe that it doesn't get the redesigned engine which is what had me confused but I think I'm missing something here as I don't usually follow the V8 engines!
My impression is that the writer is referencing the fact that the prior generation also had a 4.0T V8 engine, and he isn’t addressing (or missed) that Porsche took over engine development and production from Audi.
angrypengu (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 06:08 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Cool. But does seem kinda foolish to only have the LWB S8 stateside. Unless they plan to intentionally cannibalize sales of the V8 A8 or they don't want potential RS7 customers to cross shop a SWB S8.
Also just in general I hate the "S" only symbol embossed on the seats (and the one on the steering wheel) for all S models now. I was hoping it wouldn't carry over to the high end S8, but sadly it does. It just doesn't look right.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

How about a completely different theory: articles are wrong.

1. There is no LWB S8 historically, None, not in any market.
2. Articles themselves on the subject read sort of lame to be honest, maybe like a translator program gone amok.
3. Honestly with the TDI fallout, I don't think anyone at Audi USA can go to the John without permission from the Vaterland. Thus, do I really think all of a sudden they have directed a one off new LWB S8?
4. Consonant with #3, hasn't basically most of Audi USA management gotten canned in last year or so? Needless to say, they don't talk about that much. Thus, do I really think they are this omniscient on a not yet released or even announced (at least for Audi AG press site) model?

Another theory is there will be no W12--another item I haven't heard about but typically gets introed by or before S8--and this is a defacto substitute for it. That would be LWB only for USA. Then consider what they refer to as the adapted Hybrid is the actual S8, whether they call it that or an RS8.

FWIW, in other veins I hd a very sobering (and fun) trip to Aspen last weekend. Guess how many D anythings I saw? Zero, squat. Zero D2, Zero D3. Zero D4. Zero D5. Zero presence, zero mindshare. Saw a 7 series, some Mercs, lots of Range Rovers and...a ton of e trons they are sponsoring there, and yet more Q8's. The ordinary Audi fare driven by some common folk were a beater A6, various A4 wagons, a few Q5's. Some Gen 1 and 2 Q7's too, often seemingly upscale hotel connected, as were some Q8's. Some Cayennes, a Macan or two, a near new Panny or two. A decked out 911 and a special order Cayman. Even saw a recent Beetle convertible with a stick--not exactly a common ride either. For a place where in 1986 quattro first ruled and i likewise saw it back in the latter 80's there, pretty sobering. Sort of yet another nail in coffin to me when they have none in high zoot $ land, and they are spending their brains out there in promotion relative to anything I see in old #2 D market (after FL) California. I like the facelift D4 and might earlier have thought about a D5...if they didn't so badly manage the intro and V8 availability, but increasingly suspect it may be my last hurrah.

Watching to see if they get the 4.0T in the Q8 and clean up some of the blasé stuff it is critiqued for. Honestly when I saw the post first a few days ago, first thing I did was Google for any new info on 4.0T Q/SQ8's. Seems plain as day a whole lot more resources are being spent on both the electrics and the Q's/SUV's. As mentioned in some of my early D5 posts, honestly I wonder if D5 also isn't the last hurrah for Audi as well. Market is thinner every year it seems, and not feeling the excitement. Not even sure I have seen a D5 on road in NorCal yet either--might have seen one a few weeks ago at a distance, but could have been a new A6. I see Teslas as common as proverbial Atherton/Melo Alto Chevies and plenty of Mercs and some Bimmers, but little bigger Audi non-SUV these days. The recent corporate sales numbers likewise sort of tell me the bloom is off, and Audi's PR version of endless Elon-esque spin has likewise been somewhat outed by the sales numbers truth police.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-02-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well to be fair some of us gravitated to the D5 due to the incognito-ness of the car, only to find people's head turning (those in the know). I like the exclusivity of the D cars! Even when I see an older D model, like a D4, my head is on a swivel.

It's like Brioni suits. 99.9% of the population can't tell one suit from the other, and the 0.1% know about it, and even less buy them. I like that about the A8.

That said, this class isn't selling. Mercedes Canada just announced $15,000 off of the S class (MY19) for purchase/finance, and an interest rate that has me laughing (very low). These cars aren't selling, anymore, which is fantastic news to me.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Another Article: https://www.quattrodaily.com/world-p...rbo-v8-563-hp/

Discusses new Comfort+ Setting and Curve Tilt features
angrypengu (07-14-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well to be fair some of us gravitated to the D5 due to the incognito-ness of the car, only to find people's head turning (those in the know). I like the exclusivity of the D cars! Even when I see an older D model, like a D4, my head is on a swivel.

It's like Brioni suits. 99.9% of the population can't tell one suit from the other, and the 0.1% know about it, and even less buy them. I like that about the A8.

That said, this class isn't selling. Mercedes Canada just announced $15,000 off of the S class (MY19) for purchase/finance, and an interest rate that has me laughing (very low). These cars aren't selling, anymore, which is fantastic news to me.
Really? Back in October I was quoted $1900 a month for an S560, where I had a 2014 model at $1400/mo. The A8 while being the newest car out there was "cheap" compared to the S560 and my outgoing 750Li. Still happy I got the A8, but really upset they did not have a V8 from the get go. I was also looking at the Lexus LS, but I do not think it comes close to the Audi or Mercedes.

Quick Reply: 2020 D5 S8 Announced...563-hp 4.0T V8 LWB for the U.S.