A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi's "reason" for no exhaust ports

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Audi's "reason" for no exhaust ports

The elimination of actual exhaust ports at the bottom of rear bumper valance began with the new Q5 and has now showed up on the D5 A8/A8L. The Audi regional rep told my dealer that Audi's reasoning for this change is to prevent the back of the vehicle from getting dirty from the carbon deposits coming from the exhaust ports. Apparently some owners complained to Audi that they weren't happy about the carbon deposits/buildup (obviously they didn't like washing or detailing their cars much!).

My theory is it's a cost-savings move by Audi and nothing more. Less $$$$ for the bumper valance ports and exhaust tips. Let's see if the new A6/A7 get the same treatment when they launch. Based on all of the reviews and pics of the D5 so far, this is about the only negative I can see. Hard to imagine that the D5 S-8 will be treated the same way when it eventually shows up.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

While Audi charges a pretty good penny to buy or replace those exhaust tips, I really don’t think their internal cost is that much and their elimination would not really IMO generate significant savings. To be sure, they cost more than the plain tips, but likely not enough save them that much. The resonators which the exhaust tips connect to are the expensive item, and I’m pretty sure they are still there on the D5. More than likely, Audi is beginning to unify some design elements of their vehicles, in this case that petrol and diesel D5 trims use the same rear valance as the e-Tron model. I think that lends itself to broader cost reduction. In the end, I agree, it’s a cost savings move and has little to do with tarnished exhaust tips.

Last edited by derfA8L; 10-18-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
While Audi charges a pretty good penny to buy or replace those exhaust tips, I really don’t think their internal cost is that much and their elimination would not really IMO generate significant savings. To be sure, they cost more than the plain tips, but likely not enough save them that much. The resonators which the exhaust tips connect to are the expensive item, and I’m pretty sure they are still there on the D5. More than likely, Audi is beginning to unify some design elements of their vehicles, in this case that petrol and diesel D5 trims use the same rear valance as the e-Tron model. I think that lends itself to broader cost reduction. In the end, I agree, it’s a cost savings move and has little to do with tarnished exhaust tips.
You may be right about the e-Tron being a factor here....will be interesting to see if BMW and M-B follow Audi's design lead...or not. Hiding the actual exhaust may not be an appealing idea for most of today's drivers, especially those who view them as a "power" statement of sorts. The next iteration of the S-8 will be interesting to see. If it gets the same hidden exhaust treatment, then Audi is definitely pushing a different design envelope for the future.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gb4.2
You may be right about the e-Tron being a factor here....will be interesting to see if BMW and M-B follow Audi's design lead...or not. Hiding the actual exhaust may not be an appealing idea for most of today's drivers, especially those who view them as a "power" statement of sorts. The next iteration of the S-8 will be interesting to see. If it gets the same hidden exhaust treatment, then Audi is definitely pushing a different design envelope for the future.

Go to about 32:43 on this, narrator indicates his A8 55 TFSI has the true exhaust ports!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

And he says that the V8 version he drove before that had the fake ports. Very confusing.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
And he says that the V8 version he drove before that had the fake ports. Very confusing.
VERY confusing....The gas models have no exhaust ports but the diesels do?? I'd love to know their logic...someone from Audi should explain it.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gb4.2
VERY confusing....The gas models have no exhaust ports but the diesels do?? I'd love to know their logic...someone from Audi should explain it.
The 55 TFSI in the video review is the gasoline engine, not diesel. So, I'm really confused, especially when he says that the V8 model had the fake ones.

Add to the confusion--- If the new A7 launches here about the same time as the D5 A8L, then that is going to add to the confusion...and is going to be something that makes my purchase decision much more complicated...I really like the new A7!!!!
Old 10-19-2017, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It does appear they have upped the interior quality on the A7. I wonder if the headroom in the back is still terrible.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
It does appear they have upped the interior quality on the A7. I wonder if the headroom in the back is still terrible.

Watch from 2:20 onwards where he addresses the luggage space and the back seat space. AWESOME!

Likely an answer for those who wanted an A8 but not the A8L in US.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like RS7 might be my next Audi.

Quick Reply: Audi's "reason" for no exhaust ports