A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad news--U.S. Delay for the D5

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Too bad. I guess believable, but odd result. They could be waiting for the pending anything goes Wild West autonomous regulatory changes being promoted Federally. I would also think they would have another configuration level without the feature. Certainly Audi often sells A8’s at lesser equipment levels in lots of markets.

I keep harping on it, but I also continue to wonder whether something is up with the V8, switching lead to Porsche, etc. They have been incrementally downsizing motors all decade, but an A8 with still no V8 nailed down at intro seems pretty odd.
No V8 in A8 & I'm gone, in other words I'm "audihere"! aka (out of here)!
Old 10-06-2017, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
My salesperson had no idea re: the delay. He contacted the Audi regional rep and forwarded the reply to me. So it’s confirmed, the response was that at this moment the D5 is delayed for the US until Fall 2018— a year from now. No comment from the rep about how they plan to bridge current D4 leases that are set to expire in the interim. I called Audi Customer Service and of course they didn’t know what I was talking about and referred me back to my dealer.

Meeting with my salesperson and his manager on Saturday, and will be discussing what to do in terms of “creative” interim moves. Will also be looking at Panameras and Bimmer 7-series, but may also decide to sit tight and extend the current D4 lease for a bit to see if the situation changes in the next few months.

BTW, coincidentally the D5 configurator went live today on the Audi Deutschland site (see separate post). Quite frustrating.
Will be interesting to read the results of your meeting tomorrow. I did test drive the Panamera 4 yesterday...it was what I expected. More of a sports car handling feel to it (an A8L in enhanced Dynamic mode) but there was something that felt "wrong" about it. I think it's that I also drive a 911 Carrera S and it was weird to be in a such a large Porsche. The view from the driver's seat is looking out over a very large dashboard top onto a very large hood (all compared to the 911). It's a very big car but not quite as long as an A8L. Very nicely appointed. The ride was not really any different than my current 2015 A8L in Dynamic mode. List on this modestly optioned Panamera 4 was just under $100K (3.0L V-6 single turbo with 330 hp). For more power, the 4S uses a 2.9 L V-6 with a twin turbo and produces 440 hp. That comes at a price...well-optioned, the Panamera 4S is more expensive than a fully equipped 2018 S8. I'd go with today's S-8 rather than the 4S. One of my concerns about the Panamera is clearance in snow/slush conditions. Audi's have been good for me for so long, it's difficult to seriously consider another brand.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Cadillac has Super Cruise which is also a Level 3 system. However, that is at highway speeds while Audi's is at traffic jam speeds.
Just read about the training session in Chicago this week that was held to train Caddy dealers about the Super Cruise system. Based on the article (in 10/2 edition of Automotive News), the system is oriented to true freeway/interstate system driving rather than in dense stop and go traffic like the Traffic Jam Pilot is designed to handle. However, there are several limitations to the Super Cruise..it doesn't avoid cones or barrels in construction zones, it doesn't function when bright sunlight disrupts the driver-facing camera (camera to detect if the driver is occasionally taking a look at the road in front of them), doesn't work in heavy rain or snow, etc. Not sure if if Cadillac's current demographic would really go for this $5K option.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Well, had my meeting with my salesperson today. I requested that the dealership’s GM press Audi USA about any plans to bridge us folks with expiring A8 leases. I did test drive a 2018 Pan4. Yes, it does drive like a sports car compared to the A8L— ride was good, but much firmer than what I’m used to, or what I think I’d be comfortable with over the long haul; I thought it was even firmer in normal mode than my D4 in Dynamic mode. The 6 cylinder is quick enough, but I felt that the pedal was a bit too hard with more resistance than I’d like, and I wasn’t that thrilled with the brakes— a bit too much play before they grabbed, and quite frankly I thought my A8 4.0’s brakes were stronger...Could be that the Panny’s brakes needed to be broken in since the car only had 12 miles on the OD. The PCM haptic touchscreen worked very well, but would require some getting used to— I guess same story for the D5, which will be essentially the same configuration as the Porsche set up. The seat backs seemed more supportive vs. my A8, but the Panny’s seatbottom felt too hard after a short period. I want to like the Panamera, but just can’t get there. As for the Bimmer 7-series, my wife really does not like the look of the car, so that’s no longer a contender. Long shot could be an S550, but have never been a fan of that car.

My plan at this point is to extend my lease each month (which I did on Friday) until the end of May when no further extensions are available, with hopes that Audi comes up with an acceptable bridge program before that timing runs out. If nothing from Audi during that 6-month period, then I’ll just turn the D4 in and probably rent a car for weekends when needed until my D5 arrives...I rarely, if ever, need a car other than on weekends. Oh well.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Well, had my meeting with my salesperson today. I requested that the dealership’s GM press Audi USA about any plans to bridge us folks with expiring A8 leases. I did test drive a 2018 Pan4. Yes, it does drive like a sports car compared to the A8L— ride was good, but much firmer than what I’m used to, or what I think I’d be comfortable with over the long haul; I thought it was even firmer in normal mode than my D4 in Dynamic mode. The 6 cylinder is quick enough, but I felt that the pedal was a bit too hard with more resistance than I’d like, and I wasn’t that thrilled with the brakes— a bit too much play before they grabbed, and quite frankly I thought my A8 4.0’s brakes were stronger...Could be that the Panny’s brakes needed to be broken in since the car only had 12 miles on the OD. The PCM haptic touchscreen worked very well, but would require some getting used to— I guess same story for the D5, which will be essentially the same configuration as the Porsche set up. The seat backs seemed more supportive vs. my A8, but the Panny’s seatbottom felt too hard after a short period. I want to like the Panamera, but just can’t get there. As for the Bimmer 7-series, my wife really does not like the look of the car, so that’s no longer a contender. Long shot could be an S550, but have never been a fan of that car.

My plan at this point is to extend my lease each month (which I did on Friday) until the end of May when no further extensions are available, with hopes that Audi comes up with an acceptable bridge program before that timing runs out. If nothing from Audi during that 6-month period, then I’ll just turn the D4 in and probably rent a car for weekends when needed until my D5 arrives...I rarely, if ever, need a car other than on weekends. Oh well.
I agree with your impressions and thoughts about the Panny....especially "I want to like the Panamera, but just can't get there." We had a very bad experience with the Mercedes E class (the car's brakes and the dealer's attitude) so I won't even bother with the S class (or the brand). The more D5 reviews I read, the more I'm convinced I'll stay with Audi and wait for the D5 to arrive. Maybe they'll figure out a way to accelerate the timeline for its arrival here. If not, then something has to be done about the lease situations. If I'm able to simply extend mine for 6 months to mid-November, I'd hope that would be enough time. I hope your dealer recognizes your loyalty and develops a viable lease solution for you to keep you in your current D4 until they get you into a D5.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Nice convoy of Audi's on the Tri-state Tollway in suburban Chicago. Appear to be testing autonomous driving systems. D5 A8, New A7, New Q5.
Taken just now from my '04 D3 that just hit 277,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails Bad news--U.S. Delay for the D5-20171012_161212.jpg   Bad news--U.S. Delay for the D5-20171012_161215.jpg   Bad news--U.S. Delay for the D5-20171012_161216.jpg   Bad news--U.S. Delay for the D5-20171012_161218.jpg   Bad news--U.S. Delay for the D5-20171012_161228.jpg  

Old 10-12-2017, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Nice convoy of Audi's on the Tri-state Tollway in suburban Chicago. Appear to be testing autonomous driving systems. D5 A8, New A7, New Q5.
Taken just now from my '04 D3 that just hit 277,000 miles.
I hope that's a Q8 since Q5 is no longer a secret!
Old 10-12-2017, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pagla6
I hope that's a Q8 since Q5 is no longer a secret!
Q8 I’m betting. Width (from 2nd pic, albeit from a distance) and overall size looks like it should be the Q8. And yeah, the Q5 wouldn’t be camo’d.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

BTW, not sure if anyone's noticed in one of the many other photos of the D5 in one of the recent reviews, but the "exhaust ports" at the rear valance are decorative, at least on the V-6 version. One of the close-up pics showed the two exhaust pipes (per side) curved to point down just below the bottom. Appears that the D5 is following the new Q5's "lead" with decorative exhaust ports. Not a fan. Maybe the V-8 will be different.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gb4.2
BTW, not sure if anyone's noticed in one of the many other photos of the D5 in one of the recent reviews, but the "exhaust ports" at the rear valance are decorative, at least on the V-6 version. One of the close-up pics showed the two exhaust pipes (per side) curved to point down just below the bottom. Appears that the D5 is following the new Q5's "lead" with decorative exhaust ports. Not a fan. Maybe the V-8 will be different.
Yes, I did notice that. Unknown at this point how it’s spec’d for the V8. Can’t imagine why they’re going this route on the exhaust ports. Don’t see where it’s a decontent issue that amounts to any real cost savings for them. Actually looks kind of dumb IMHO.

Quick Reply: Bad news--U.S. Delay for the D5