A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad news--U.S. Delay for the D5

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Hidden exhaust was one big laughable bust back in D2 and C5 era. All the German companies fell into it right around the millennium. Then the pipe outlett was buried behind fender. Happened feeling pressure from the Greens. Enviro nod was basically bury that evil exhaust lipstick approach. Led to some dremeling out the rear fascia and adding outlets by modders. Within 3 or four years they gave up and outlets were back.

Of course on recent cars it has become another mine’s bigger contest. But since Audi pioneered the thru bumper trapezoidal design on D3 W12, as usual they can’t seem to engineer it for less than a grand in parts, perhaps leading to these new plasticrap designs. They may need to talk to Hyundai for the $40 manufacturing solution. And yep, pigs will fly before that happens.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-13-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Hidden exhaust was one big laughable bust back in D2 and C5 era. All the German companies fell into it right around the millennium for a year or two. Then the pipe outset was buried behind fender. Happened feeling pressure from the Greens. Enviro nod was basically bury that evil exhaust lipstick approach. Led to some dremeling out the rear fascia and adding outlets by modders. Within 3 or four years they gave up and outlets were back.

Of course on recent cars it has become another mine’s bigger contest. But since Audi pioneered the thru bumper trapezoidal design on D3 W12, as usual they can’t seem to engineer it for less than a grand in parts, perhaps leading to these new plasticrap designs. They may need to talk to Hyundai for the $40 manufacturing solution. And yep, pigs will fly before that happens.
Sad to see that Audi wants to re-visit this again. Definitely going in the wrong direction with this road trip down memory lane. Maybe this is their way of preparing us for no exhaust at all when they go all-electric???
Old 10-21-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default My D4 to D5 bridge conundrum takes focus...

For anyone interested, I have written to Scott Keogh at Audi USA if there will be any plans in effect to assist current D4 lessees bridge to the D5 A8 as their leases expire. In as much as the D5 was originally slated for its US launch this coming April and is now delayed until at least a year from now (October/November 2018), those intending to move seamlessly from their concluding D4 leases to the new D5 could find that plan roadblocked at this point. In my situation, my 2015 A8L’s lease ends next month. I had planned to place an order for a new D5 and extend my current lease to bridge me to the new car, but the D5’s launch delay here blew up that plan (Audi can’t extend my lease past 6 months). While waiting for a response to my letter, the GM of my dealership spoke to Audi’s regional person in charge and was told that the V6 D5’s launch here is delayed until next Fall— and possibly even past that, depending on the timing of Audi’s AI technology and its complying with the relevant regulations now being formulated. Add to this mistiming adventure, the V8 D5 is expected to be delayed in the US 6 to 8 months after the arrival of the V6 version.

So, after considering and test driving other cars that I thought might fill the gap, it’s come down to this: I will be re-leasing my 2015 A8 for 2 years, which will hopefully get me past this “confused” period, and indeed bridge me seamlessly to the D5 (2020 model year in Fall 2019)....or who knows, maybe the new S7 (the new A7 is a really nice looking car!). My salesperson came up with the idea after we discussed how much I really like my D4. He found a bank that does pre-owned leasing. The only caveat being that the car has to be a CPO, and the minimum lease term is 24 months— both no problem: my D4 should have no problem passing the Audi CPO inspection, and the 24 month lease term works just fine in view of what I’m now seeing regarding the timing of the D5’s V8 arrival in the US. So, unless Audi USA responds in short order with something more beneficial to my circumstance, remaining in my 2015 A8L with factory and CPO warranty coverage for the time being looks like the happiest of all possible options for me.

Last edited by derfA8L; 10-21-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
For anyone interested, I have written to Scott Keogh at Audi USA if there will be any plans in effect to assist current D4 lessees bridge to the D5 A8 as their leases expire. In as much as the D5 was originally slated for its US launch this coming April and is now delayed until at least a year from now (October/November 2018), those intending to move seamlessly from their concluding D4 leases to the new D5 could find that plan roadblocked at this point. In my situation, my 2015 A8L’s lease ends next month. I had planned to place an order for a new D5 and extend my current lease to bridge me to the new car, but the D5’s launch delay here blew up that plan (Audi can’t extend my lease past 6 months). While waiting for a response to my letter, the GM of my dealership spoke to Audi’s regional person in charge and was told that the V6 D5’s launch here is delayed until next Fall— and possibly even past that, depending on the timing of Audi’s AI technology and its complying with the relevant regulations now being formulated. Add to this mistiming adventure, the V8 D5 is expected to be delayed in the US 6 to 8 months after the arrival of the V6 version.

So, after considering and test driving other cars that I thought might fill the gap, it’s come down to this: I will be re-leasing my 2015 A8 for 2 years, which will hopefully get me past this “confused” period, and indeed bridge me seamlessly to the D5 (2020 model year in Fall 2019)....or who knows, maybe the new S7 (the new A7 is a really nice looking car!). My salesperson came up with the idea after we discussed how much I really like my D4. He found a bank that does pre-owned leasing. The only caveat being that the car has to be a CPO, and the minimum lease term is 24 months— both no problem: my D4 should have no problem passing the Audi CPO inspection, and the 24 month lease term works just fine in view of what I’m now seeing regarding the timing of the D5’s V8 arrival in the US. So, unless Audi USA responds in short order with something more beneficial to my circumstance, remaining in my 2015 A8L with factory and CPO warranty coverage for the time being looks like the happiest of all possible options for me.
Sounds like a good plan for your situation. It’ll be interesting to see if Mr. Keough decides to respond. My dealer’s GM told me that Audi is very much aware (and concerned) about losing D4 owners like us whose leases are expiring now or over the next few months. We’ll see if that concern translates into any concrete (and worthwhile) plan to either extend leases or offer a very short term (6 to 12 months) lease that will bridge to the D5’s arrival here. If that U.S. arrival date is remains fluid, Audi has to build that into their remedy.

My lease expires in mid-April and I expect to have well over 65k miles on my D4 by then. I’m already paying for maintenance costs (past 50K miles now) and have had both front struts replaced under warranty just prior to going out of warranty (both of them completely failed during normal interstate driving within a few months of each other). I like my well-equipped D4 but will most likely get out of it in April. (I doubt Audi would want to CPO it but maybe I’m wrong.) My hope is that Audi will offer a one-year lease for a new D4 to keep my business. That should be enough time to get the D5 to the U.S. as well as the new A7 (and maybe the S7). The new A7 is a very attractive car and its interior is MUCH better (appearance and equipment) than the current version. I feel like I’m ready to move into a slightly smaller Audi and the new A7/S7 seems to be the most likely vehicle for me.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gb4.2
I feel like I’m ready to move into a slightly smaller Audi and the new A7/S7 seems to be the most likely vehicle for me.
With the A7’s upgraded interior similar in design to the D5 and updated sporty contoured shape (and IMO better executed front and rear design vs. the D5), the new gen S7 could be a viable option for many current A8 owners/lessees. Can’t wait for this Spring’s NY Auto Show 😉
Old 10-27-2017, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

One problem with autonomous driving systems is that every state sets their own regulations. And yes, they all vary from one another. The systems have to comply with all regulations so basically the only system that can be sold is a Level 1 system.
Some states allow Level 2 and Level 3 but with an individual permit required for each vehicle.

The manufacturers are testing all levels on closed circuits or in traffic with special permits, which is what I witnessed near Chicago two weeks ago. I was in the passenger seat in a Level 3 Lincoln recently. Quite an odd feeling. Current regulations in Michigan require at least one hand on the wheel on public roads. Thus you better be watching what's going on.

I'd rather be driving as I like to drive. Also, a closed course is being constructed on the site of the now demolished General Motors Willow Run Hydramatic plant in Ypsilanti Township, MI. Part of the surrounding public road system is being isolated and will now be part of the closed course.

Ironically, the Ogden Avenue in Downer's Grove/Hinsdale is where I bought mt '04 D3 in December of 2005. That's very close to where those pictures above were taken. You can see the Ogden Avenue ramp sign in a couple of the pictures.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I spoke with my dealer this morning and asked about any update on Audi USA's plans for a 1 year lease for a new D4 or extending existing leases. Nothing's been firmly decided but it seems they're leaning towards the 1 year lease offer for a new 2018 D4 to bridge the time gap until the D5 arrives....and there's no timetable established for the D5 to get here--I could see it being delayed until early 2019. Also confirmed that the new A7 will definitely make it stateside well before the D5 does. DerfA8L---any news/insight from your dealer or Mr. Keogh?
Old 11-09-2017, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gb4.2
I spoke with my dealer this morning and asked about any update on Audi USA's plans for a 1 year lease for a new D4 or extending existing leases. Nothing's been firmly decided but it seems they're leaning towards the 1 year lease offer for a new 2018 D4 to bridge the time gap until the D5 arrives....and there's no timetable established for the D5 to get here--I could see it being delayed until early 2019. Also confirmed that the new A7 will definitely make it stateside well before the D5 does. DerfA8L---any news/insight from your dealer or Mr. Keogh?
My letter was handed off to someone in the organization. The final word I received just yesterday was that due to the vehicle leasing restrictions in New York State (where the car is leased), there wasn't anything Audi could do beyond a normal 6-month lease extension. They didn't say anything regarding a new 1-year lease on a 2018 A8L, but I really wouldn't have been interested in that anyway since: the D5 with the 4.0 V8 is coming over here 4 to 6 months after the V6 version arrives, and the V6 could be delayed a bit longer than next Fall, thus adding to the delay. And as you say, it could be early 2019 for the V6 version, with the V8 model then held back further (perhaps delayed until Fall '19 as a 2020 as a worse case situation).

So...Considering my 2015 D4 is practically a "new" car---currently has less than 19,800 miles after 3-years, that it's very well equipped, still in very good condition, and my wife and I still very much like the car...We're going ahead with my salesman's plan for the dealership to take the buy-out on the car from AFS, get it CPO'd next week, and re-lease for the next 24-months at a substantially lower monthly payment--effective the day the AFS lease ends. This scenario works out the best for us in that, as already stated, we like our 2015 D4, it has another full year with the original factory warranty, and is then covered by Audi's CPO warranty in the final year. That timing takes us to Fall 2019 when the 2020 MY D5 should be available. In the meantime, it gives us plenty of time to decide if we want the D5 or possibly switch to the A7, since both will have arrived before then, giving us ample opportunity to spend some seat time behind the wheel of both.

I will say that having been unable to offer me a workable program to bridge to the D5, Audi did come up with something (which unfortunately I can't discuss) that to some extent does value my continued 33 year loyalty to the brand. To be fair, I wasn't out to get anything beyond a solution to the D4 to D5 timing issue, so I was appreciative of their gesture.

Last edited by derfA8L; 11-09-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

My letter was handed off to someone in the organization. The final word I received just yesterday was that due to the vehicle leasing restrictions in New York State (where the car is leased), there wasn't anything Audi could do beyond a normal 6-month lease extension. They didn't say anything regarding a new 1-year lease on a 2018 A8L, but I really wouldn't have been interested in that anyway since: the D5 with the 4.0 V8 is coming over here 4 to 6 months after the V6 version arrives, and the V6 could be delayed a bit longer than next Fall, thus adding to the delay. And as you say, it could be early 2019 for the V6 version, with the V8 model then held back further (perhaps delayed until Fall '19 as a 2020 as a worse case situation).

So...Considering my 2015 D4 is practically a "new" car---currently has less than 19,800 miles after 3-years, that it's very well equipped, still in very good condition, and my wife and I still very much like the car...We're going ahead with my salesman's plan for the dealership to take the buy-out on the car from AFS, get it CPO'd next week, and re-lease for the next 24-months at a substantially lower monthly payment--effective the day the AFS lease ends. This scenario works out the best for us in that, as already stated, we like our 2015 D4, it has another full year with the original factory warranty, and is then covered by Audi's CPO warranty in the final year. That timing takes us to Fall 2019 when the 2020 MY D5 should be available. In the meantime, it gives us plenty of time to decide if we want the D5 or possibly switch to the A7, since both will have arrived before then, giving us ample opportunity to spend some seat time behind the wheel of both.

I will say that having been unable to offer me a workable program to bridge to the D5, Audi did come up with something (which unfortunately I can't discuss) that to some extent does value my continued 33 year loyalty to the brand. To be fair, I wasn't out to get anything beyond a solution to the D4 to D5 timing issue, so I was appreciative of their gesture.
I like your plan...it makes perfect sense for you all things considered, especially with the low mileage you have on your D4 and that you like your car as equipped. Mine has too many miles on it (out of warranty). With both front strut assemblies having failed at around 50K miles but under warranty (despite all interstate driving), I can only imagine what the next expensive repair may be although I do like my car and how it's optioned... I'm going to just wait and see what Audi comes up with for a "plan" by early 2018---including a better feel for stateside arrival timing for the D5, new A7, and new A6. If a one year lease is offered for a new D4, it would have to be specially designed as it would be extremely expensive for a one year lease due to that first 12 months of rapid depreciation. Maybe I'll extend mine for 6 months and move to the A7 if that timing works out for fall deliveries here next year. Audi has a problem on their hands with this D5 "launch" for sure. (Also, glad to hear that Audi came up with something to value your loyalty.)
Old 01-09-2018, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

The latest from Audi directly (an Area Sales Manager) is that the D5 will arrive here in September with the order guide at dealers in June. I've decided to extend my AFS lease for 6 months which takes me to the end of September so that I can take delivery of the ordered D5 then. If I need an extra month or two in my 2015 D4, they'll allow it. This latest timeline seem quite certain but I realize it could get adjusted again.

Quick Reply: Bad news--U.S. Delay for the D5