A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D4 vs D5 model

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default D4 vs D5 model

Simple question, what does the D5 bring to the party over the D4? Why upgrade to the D5 rather than a late model D4?
Old 05-02-2018, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts

Newer tech, more weight, less power (relative to the strong 4.0T) w/ so far only V6 announced; same 8 speed tranny. Generation newer body style, and note D3 is probably more timeless than D4 as they age--having owned both. Supposedly the big deal will be the quasi autonomous, but so far they can't get out of their own way to get it out.

You don't say where you are, but if North America, it's also vaporware. Still selling D4's new here. I try to avoid first year of anything as well, if that matters to your timing. D4 prices continue to drop like rocks too, so for bang for ave. buck, the math as well as the smile factor can be pretty easy. D5's will drop like rocks in some years too--like any luxobarge--but the reality awakening is just deferred. As a buyer you can take advantage of it on D4 by letting prior guy take a lot of the hit, or get fleeced later on D5.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-02-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Newer tech, more weight, less power (relative to the strong 4.0T) w/ so far only V6 announced; same 8 speed tranny. Generation newer body style, and note D3 is probably more timeless than D4 as they age--having owned both. Supposedly the big deal will be the quasi autonomous, but so far they can't get out of their own way to get it out.

You don't say where you are, but if North America, it's also vaporware. Still selling D4's new here. I try to avoid first year of anything as well, if that matters to your timing. D4 prices continue to drop like rocks too, so for bang for ave. buck, the math as well as the smile factor can be pretty easy. D5's will drop like rocks in some years too--like any luxobarge--but the reality awakening is just deferred. As a buyer you can take advantage of it on D4 by letting prior guy take a lot of the hit, or get fleeced later on D5.
+1.

About this time last year I was pondering the same question, and I went with the D4. First of all, I had decided to purchase new because I expected to keep whatever I bought for at least ten years, rather than go through two used cars over that span, so I view the cost differently than most people do. The dealer had agreed to a 12 % discount on MSRP on a build order for a D4, and I certainly didn't expect anything near that on a D5. I would expect discounts at least that good on remaining D4's, and Audi tends to discount option packages in MSRP near the end of model runs.

Another thing moved me to the D4; I attended the dealer unveiling of the Porsche Panamera, and I ducked under the velvet rope and opened the trunk and saw that there was no spare tire. Just a can of fix-a-flat and a phone number. Same as the previous Panamera, and a deal breaker for me. Since I had read that the new D5 would share the Panamera chassis, I wasn't going to wait and see what Audi would do re a spare tire, and I literally started my D4 negotiations about one minute after that.

I figure that if the D5 turns out to be vastly superior to the D4, I can deal with that if I choose to. But I think there is a good chance that the D4 may end up being the high water mark if, like me, you aren't too impressed with the gee wiz stuff.

Obviously, I went all in with an S8 Plus, and I couldn't be happier! Mike
The following users liked this post:
Ur_S6 (07-02-2022)
Old 05-07-2018, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I was leaning towards the D4 but this has just confirmed it. The only thing that really interests me in the D5 is some of the self driving capabilities but other than that I prefer the D4. I especially do not like the all touch screen of the D5.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through it last year. Lease on on my S8 was finishing soon and I could either extend it or look for a new car. Saw first info about D5, what's new, etc. I didn't like new look and all touch screens everywhere. I don't' really care that much about tech gadgets. Two weeks later I got really good offer for outgoing model special version called Black Edition in UK. I decided to go for D4 without any hesitation. I plan to keep car for 2-3 years and maybe by the time I will change again, there will be good promos on D5 and I can reconsider it or go for something totally else. I already booked myself for launch of BMW8 at local dealership to check it out inside and test drive it. Already saw it in person from outside.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"But I think there is a good chance that the D4 may end up being the high water mark if, like me, you aren't too impressed with the gee wiz stuff."

Yes, agreed - when I come to upgrade my 2012 D4, I suspect it'll be an end-of-the-line D4 as opposed to a D5. Too much screen
Old 07-03-2022, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
Lightbulb

For me, the real technology break through is a D5 with Predictive Suspension and rear wheel steering. Those would be the must have for me to upgrade from D4..

To Clarify, yes, the D5 is a nicer machine then the D4, as expected because it is newer. The comment above is my thinking as a current D4 owner.

Last edited by OberklasseA8; 07-03-2022 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Personal Reputation
Old 07-03-2022, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

After driving both and planning to keep the car a min if 5 yrs or much more, there was no way I was buying a D4. Plus I personally like the L version. It's a phenomenal highway cruiser.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

D5 rides a lot better, and is much quieter.