A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling Telematics

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 170 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Disabling Telematics

With all our data up for sale nowadays, is there a way telematics can be disabled on the D5? Has anyone figured out how to do it? I personally do not want my driving information and data sold to insurance carriers.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 850 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by pcc125
With all our data up for sale nowadays, is there a way telematics can be disabled on the D5? Has anyone figured out how to do it? I personally do not want my driving information and data sold to insurance carriers.
Well, yes technically I think there's an option in the MMI, but if your car has an open recall for the "oh shoot we forgot to not stream your data to Audi HQ"...you might want to do that one. However, your reverse cam might stop working and other things like your seat memory

So maybe yes, but probably 'no' for all intents and purposes
Old 05-04-2024, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Well, yes technically I think there's an option in the MMI, but if your car has an open recall for the "oh shoot we forgot to not stream your data to Audi HQ"...you might want to do that one. However, your reverse cam might stop working and other things like your seat memory

So maybe yes, but probably 'no' for all intents and purposes
how would you access that option through the MMI?
Old 05-04-2024, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bravo659
how would you access that option through the MMI?
I'll have to take a look again but I seem to recall this was an option buried directly in the MMI? Googled quickly and found: https://www.e-tronforum.com/threads/...ing-data.5246/
Old 05-04-2024, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply @angrypengu I guess they will get you one way or another...
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (05-04-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Driving information can be turned off and history deleted, in Navigation>settings(gear icon)>Personal route assistance
pcc125 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KK22
Driving information can be turned off and history deleted, in Navigation>settings(gear icon)>Personal route assistance
Yes, I have seen this before and thank you for pointing it out. I think this will only turn off the places you drive to on a regular basis, like work or home. The data I do not want to share or sold to insurance companies is the speeds you drive the car. Land Rover for instance has a function that assigns you a driving score based on how often you go above posted speed limits, how much you use your brakes, and how aggressively you.drive... Imagine this information going to insurance companies and you end up getting higher premiums because you drive above posted speed limits lol...
Old 05-05-2024, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pcc125
Yes, I have seen this before and thank you for pointing it out. I think this will only turn off the places you drive to on a regular basis, like work or home. The data I do not want to share or sold to insurance companies is the speeds you drive the car. Land Rover for instance has a function that assigns you a driving score based on how often you go above posted speed limits, how much you use your brakes, and how aggressively you.drive... Imagine this information going to insurance companies and you end up getting higher premiums because you drive above posted speed limits lol...
Collecting data is one thing but isn't the sale of this data or sharing of this data explicitly prohibited by law unless you consent? In Canada, anyways, this is illegal though I now get why this thread was started. I'd be shocked if this was allowed in the US though but perhaps each jurisdiction is different.
pcc125 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Collecting data is one thing but isn't the sale of this data or sharing of this data explicitly prohibited by law unless you consent? In Canada, anyways, this is illegal though I now get why this thread was started. I'd be shocked if this was allowed in the US though but perhaps each jurisdiction is different.
I agree that the sale of data should be illegal without your consent. However, consent can be interpreted in many different ways in various parts of the world. For instance, there is a US company called BuildFax (same principle as CarFax) that provides software to multiple municipalities all across the US to automate and digitize the permitting process. In turn, they turn around and sell this data to insurance companies all over the US. This data shows insurance companies all the permits pulled for home improvements or new additions and construction. That in turn, provides insurance companies a lot of information in determining if a property is under insured so that they can raise your premium say for replacing your roof or all of your HVAC equipment. So, whose consent is BuildFax, the municipalities involved, or the insurance companies need here? With the same token, who are we giving consent to when it comes to the servicing records, or registration renewals that are listed on a carfax history?
I personally don’t believe rate setting from telematics as being illegal is a barrier to insurance companies. If they are caught, they will make up lies saying the data didn’t influence their rate decisions. Push comes to shove; they will happily cough any pittance of fines levied by the govt if they are found guilty.

Last edited by pcc125; 05-05-2024 at 08:02 AM.
angrypengu (05-05-2024)