A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical error

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 860 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by nashdm2
I guess this is a USA/Canada thing as I have not had a letter in the UK.

These extended warranties typically do not happy is europe as car manufacturers seem to be really scared of the USA consumer and the powers they have against brands.

In the UK, we just roll over on our backs with our arms and legs in the air and let companies run rings all around us.

Thanks for sharing the letter morgan may, I will approach Audi UK and see what they say.
FYI IIRC there is a D5 variant that doesn't have the 48V system. It's a 12V only car, but I don't know where this variant is sold - certainly not in NorthAm.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 717 Likes on 506 Posts

FYI…
Audi USA recently sent the attached notice to dealers addressing options for customers affected by the alternator parts back order issue. Two main takeaways are:

Audi Branded Loaner Support-
Effective immediately, as of 12/22/2022, Audi of America will reimburse the cost to provide Audi branded loaner support to customers affected by alternator failures and awaiting parts replacement.
In order to qualify for this reimbursement, the following conditions must be met:
 The loaner need must be due to a parts delay for the alternator.
 The loaner must be a branded Audi vehicle, sourced internally or through Audi on demand.
 Reimbursement amount may not exceed $30.00 per day.

Alternator 3.0L Customer Outreach Program-
Alternately, customers may take advantage of a $1,000 incentive towards the purchase or lease of a new Audi. This incentive is incremental to any other eligible and applicable incentives currently in-market. Please see bulletin A22UCOP2 for further program details.

There isn’t anything in this bulletin regarding V8 models.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10228815-0001-BSG .pdf (173.4 KB, 119 views)
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (02-25-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So, from what I understand, in the USA you are being offered an extended warranty of 7 years for this alternator failure issue and reimbursement if you have already paid for a replacement/repair.
Furthermore, Audi USA have put a program in place with your dealers to support customers affected by the back order situation to provide loaners, or incentives to buy new vehicles with $1000 saving etc.

Meanwhile, AUDI UK are doing f. all.

One rule for one region, one rule for another. No consistency for the *exact same* alternator failure in our cars.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooogie!
So, from what I understand, in the USA you are being offered an extended warranty of 7 years for this alternator failure issue and reimbursement if you have already paid for a replacement/repair.
Furthermore, Audi USA have put a program in place with your dealers to support customers affected by the back order situation to provide loaners, or incentives to buy new vehicles with $1000 saving etc.

Meanwhile, AUDI UK are doing f. all.

One rule for one region, one rule for another. No consistency for the *exact same* alternator failure in our cars.
May be time for a lawsuit in the UK for this failure and Audi's inconsistent treatment of customers in different regions. That will catch Audi UK's attention real fast.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Morganmay. Was there any ref or TSB code number under the bit you have covered up please on the letter?
Just name, address and VIN covered up.........no codes, etc. The relevant TSB is MC-10222114-0001
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by MorganMay:
KK22 (02-26-2023), nashdm2 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 65 Likes on 63 Posts

I have written to Audi UK. I will copy their reply to this thread. It's always the case in the UK where these things are concerned.

Interestingly, some time back I started a new thread questioning the charge voltage from my alternator. Angry, you may recall this? I was only getting 13v at the battery terminals in the engine bay when the vehicle was running. That is totally alien to me, but, even with this there were no alarms on the dash or codes on my obd11 relating to alternator issues. Now this may be a total coincidence and nothing related to the total failures the people on this thread are having.

So, could some of you grab your multimeters and check the voltage on the terminals when the vehicle is running please? Thanks.........
Old 02-26-2023, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have written to Audi UK. I will copy their reply to this thread. It's always the case in the UK where these things are concerned.

Interestingly, some time back I started a new thread questioning the charge voltage from my alternator. Angry, you may recall this? I was only getting 13v at the battery terminals in the engine bay when the vehicle was running. That is totally alien to me, but, even with this there were no alarms on the dash or codes on my obd11 relating to alternator issues. Now this may be a total coincidence and nothing related to the total failures the people on this thread are having.

So, could some of you grab your multimeters and check the voltage on the terminals when the vehicle is running please? Thanks.........
I don't think this is related, or, put more precisely, I highly doubt this is related.

When the vehicle is running, the SOC is either 15.4V when the DC DC converter is actively stepping down voltage to charge the 12V battery, or 12.8V when the 12V battery is full.
nashdm2 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Angry, understood. Very interesting regarding the two different charge voltages based around the state SOC of the 12v battery. Really interesting information, thanks angry.
angrypengu (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just re-read the whole thread again. A couple of questions please?

1. Given that the exact same replacement parts are fitted to failed cars, do we actually know what fails within the BSG itself and hence will be changed going forward?
2. My car is a UK Diesel, I guess the BSG is identical to the petrol models?

Last edited by nashdm2; 02-27-2023 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-26-2023, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just re-read the whole thread again. A couple of questions please?

1. Given that the exact same replacement parts are fitted to failed cars, do we actually know what fails within the BSG itself and hence will be changed going forward?
2. My car is a UK Diesel, I guess the BSG is identical to the petal models?
1) No one knows the root cause. Audi has allegedly replaced the 48V mild hybrid battery with a "super capacitor" as per 1 report in the Q8 subforum of AW. No one knows why, or if this has anything to do with the ongoing 48V BSG woes
2) I have no idea, unfortunately. My guess is "yes", but that's all that is, a guess!

Quick Reply: Electrical error