A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do they allow this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do they allow this?

I am looking at buying an S8. I found on that looks great price good. The is a 17 with only 8,800 miles on it. I pulled the car fax and it had 2 owners and the was a buyback/lemon. How was this car able to get auctioned off for re-sale?

What would anyone do in this situation? How would I be able to get more information on what happened exactly? It still has all the factory warranty. Would it make sense to get it to a local Audi dealer and have them check it out and tell em why the buyback happened?

I remember when my father's BMW 7 series had an issue that needed repair. the reason BMW bought it back was because they couldn't get the parts from Germany. It was going to be 4 months. So they bought it back and got him another car. I know they still made the repair and re-sold that car.

I am just wondering if it's worth taking the risk. Thanks
Old 03-13-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My advice is run-away from it. You do not want to take on this headache, not an Audi or any other premium brand vehicle. Not worth the risk at all.

These key words/phrases I picked up from what you wrote should have been enough to sound alarm bells:
Buy-back, 2-owners, 8,800 miles, 2017, auctioned for re-sale (aka, there's a sucker born every minute).

Unless you know someone in Audi, there is no way (as far as I know) to get Audi to tell you the reason for the buy-back.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I received the report from the dealer. It says it was a Humming Noise when braking. They replaced the calipers. I don't understand how that could warrant a buy back.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ccap
I received the report from the dealer. It says it was a Humming Noise when braking. They replaced the calipers. I don't understand how that could warrant a buy back.
Ask if the dealer will CPO it. If they won't then that means they don't trust it. You may never get the whole story about the buy-back unless you can find info concerning the former owners and ask them about it.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
Ask if the dealer will CPO it. If they won't then that means they don't trust it. You may never get the whole story about the buy-back unless you can find info concerning the former owners and ask them about it.
A Volvo dealership has it. Not sure how to get it CPO'd
Old 03-13-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A Volvo dealership has it. Not sure how to get it CPO'd
You can inquire with an Audi dealer near you. They'll have to inspect the car inside and out and look at its history. If they are willing to CPO it, it will give you an indication that they'll back it up and they'll stand by it in case gremlins start to come out during your ownership. You have a choice then to buy the CPO warranty if it were offered to you or just leave it on the table knowing that the car seems to be reliable enough for the Audi dealer to give it a thumbs up.

This is an S8 we're talking about here. Unless you plan to just buy this as a toy or spare car, you would not want this buy-back to be a daily driver. If it starts giving you headaches, I am sure we'll be seeing a lot of rants in this forum talking about how it is always in the shop and loss of use, regrets, regrets....
Old 03-20-2018, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

An Audi dealer can only CPO a car it is selling, not some random Audi driven up to its dealership for whatever reason.

Lots of possible reasons for the buy back you will have a hard time ever knowing, all the way from the car is a piece o crap, to the owner had bought 10 cars from the dealership over the years, didn't like it and was ready to buy 10 more including the new R8 he/she special ordered. Or any of 50-100 other speculative scenarios. If the price is compelling and you really want it, get it inspected big time around the reported buy back reasons. If you are just jumping at an early opportunity becuse there aren't that many S8's around right this minute, throw the fish back in the lake and give it time. There are always more fish, good, mediocre and sick.

P.S. Not sure why this discussion is on D5 (yet to be sold in USA) board. Really should be on D4 board, where you would get more responses, insight and perhaps info.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-20-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
An Audi dealer can only CPO a car it is selling, not some random Audi driven up to its dealership for whatever reason.

Lots of possible reasons for the buy back you will have a hard time ever knowing, all the way from the car is a piece o crap, to the owner had bought 10 cars from the dealership over the years, didn't like it and was ready to buy 10 more including the new R8 he/she special ordered. Or any of 50-100 other speculative scenarios. If the price is compelling and you really want it, get it inspected big time around the reported buy back reasons. If you are just jumping at an early opportunity becuse there aren't that many S8's around right this minute, throw the fish back in the lake and give it time. There are always more fish, good, mediocre and sick.

P.S. Not sure why this discussion is on D5 (yet to be sold in USA) board. Really should be on D4 board, where you would get more responses, insight and perhaps info.
Thank you for your reply. I agree with what you said. I am going to pass on it. This should be moved to the D4 board is the admin could move it. Sorry, I posted on the wrong board.

Another question. A car that has low mileage, great condition that an Audi dealership has, goes to auction. Why? Why wouldn't the Audi dealership keep the car and re-sell it? I am looking at another car now that has 13k miles. An independant shop can get it, but I was curious about the other. Thanks
Old 03-22-2018, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Thank you for your reply. I agree with what you said. I am going to pass on it. This should be moved to the D4 board is the admin could move it. Sorry, I posted on the wrong board.

Another question. A car that has low mileage, great condition that an Audi dealership has, goes to auction. Why? Why wouldn't the Audi dealership keep the car and re-sell it? I am looking at another car now that has 13k miles. An independant shop can get it, but I was curious about the other. Thanks
Again, hard to say on answer. Very dealer dependent. For example, the dealer may need cash flow now, today. Thus, auction it. And/or (and likely), dealer knows average time to sell D4 used on the lot is some number of months. Also knows D5 intro is at least sometime soon, and knows vehicles in that scenario take a further price hit month over month. Thus, mitigate risk and move it today. Either of those scenarios don't read on the quality of the vehicle, just dealer financial needs and risk mitigation. One also says as the buyer to realize prices on used D4's should be soft right now.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy answer - I've been down this road. Once tagged as a buy-back, always tagged as a buy-back and Audi wants nothing to do with it. As stated earlier, it's likely a situation where they were keeping a VIP customer happy. Cost of doing business.

I have a good relationship with my dealer (salesman and techs) and they gave me the likely answer based on an S8 I found with a buy-back tag. It was for sale by another dealership in my state (MI), but when I tracked it down, the selling delaership was in MA. The MA dealership wouldn't tell me anything - they were right lipped.

Imagine how hard that car would be to resell in five years. Try explaining the story and convincing the next buyer that it was nothing. Glad to hear that you decided to move on. It's a honeytrap. 😬

Quick Reply: How do they allow this?