A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monsoon Grey vs Terra Grey vs Vesuvius Grey

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts
Default Monsoon Grey vs Terra Grey vs Vesuvius Grey

I understand from speaking with Audi people that Monsoon Grey has been a colour long been used by Audi.

I also understand the Vesuvius Grey is charcoal...which I presume is a pain to deal with like a black car.

So I'm getting different answers when I ask about Terra Gray vs Monsoon Grey. One person tells me Terra Gray is darker than Monsoon Grey, but the order guide tends to make me believe otherwise.

Does anyone know if Terra Grey is darker than Monsoon Grey?

Unfortunately few dealers have these A8s so it's hard to see them in person.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I understand from speaking with Audi people that Monsoon Grey has been a colour long been used by Audi.

I also understand the Vesuvius Grey is charcoal...which I presume is a pain to deal with like a black car.

So I'm getting different answers when I ask about Terra Gray vs Monsoon Grey. One person tells me Terra Gray is darker than Monsoon Grey, but the order guide tends to make me believe otherwise.

Does anyone know if Terra Grey is darker than Monsoon Grey?

Unfortunately few dealers have these A8s so it's hard to see them in person.
From my POV it’s a close call as to which is darker. What I do know is that Monsoon Gray has a blue cast while Terra Gray has a hint of brown/earth tone, as it’s name implies. I like Monsoon and was toying with the idea of going with it next time, but I feel that Terra Gray works better with the brown and beige (even Pearl) interiors versus Monsoon Gray.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L

From my POV it’s a close call as to which is darker. What I do know is that Monsoon Gray has a blue cast while Terra Gray has a hint of brown/earth tone, as it’s name implies. I like Monsoon and was toying with the idea of going with it next time, but I feel that Terra Gray works better with the brown and beige (even Pearl) interiors versus Monsoon Gray.
This is absolutely fantastic to know and I don't really want to share why your post really hits home to me as it's embarrassing (something to do about unlucky colours for me). Have you seen both shades in person or is your opinion based on photos? I've now spent 4 hours on this topic and I have come to understand monitors ruin perspective....
Old 11-14-2018, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This is absolutely fantastic to know and I don't really want to share why your post really hits home to me as it's embarrassing (something to do about unlucky colours for me). Have you seen both shades in person or is your opinion based on photos? I've now spent 4 hours on this topic and I have come to understand monitors ruin perspective....
I’ve seen Monsoon in person on several D4’s, but not on a D5. Haven’t personally seen Terra Gray, but there are a few early D5 videos Audi released a year ago with a Terra Gray car on the road in varying light conditions. The A8 configurator isn’t very good in accurately representing these (and most) colors, but the videos do a fairly good job of it.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I’ve seen Monsoon in person on several D4’s, but not on a D5. Haven’t personally seen Terra Gray, but there are a few early D5 videos Audi released a year ago with a Terra Gray car on the road in varying light conditions. The A8 configurator isn’t very good in accurately representing these (and most) colors, but the videos do a fairly good job of it.
Thank you. I'll make a visit to an Audi dealership with all 3 of these colours shortly and share my opinions! I found one 4 hours away with all of these.....
Old 11-14-2018, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen Terra Gray and Vesuvius Grey in person. Vesuvius Grey looks metallic black. I don't know why they called it grey. Terra Gray looked amazing when I saw it. It is similar to Daytona Grey and tends to change skin under different conditions. Note that I only saw it inside a conference room with no real sunlight into the room.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by okkazo
I have seen Terra Gray and Vesuvius Grey in person. Vesuvius Grey looks metallic black. I don't know why they called it grey. Terra Gray looked amazing when I saw it. It is similar to Daytona Grey and tends to change skin under different conditions. Note that I only saw it inside a conference room with no real sunlight into the room.
Agreed with Terra Gray. There's a hint of brown and the color really makes the A8 seem smaller than it is which is not a look I'm going for.

I think I'll stick with Monsoon Grey.

I'm a boring man.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The topic of colour for the D5 has been driving me up the wall.

Vesuvius Gray - I'm going to make the argument that it's a bit easier to care for than black, but doesn't it just look like faded black?
Monsoon Gray - in the sun, it looks like blue/gray. On a cloudy day, it looks really gray.

Thoughts? Any recommendations?

Last edited by angrypengu; 11-20-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The topic of colour for the D5 has been driving me up the wall.

Vesuvius Gray - I'm going to make the argument that it's a bit easier to care for than black, but doesn't it just look like faded black?
Monsoon Gray - in the sun, it looks like blue/gray. On a cloudy day, it looks really gray.

Thoughts? Any recommendations?

IMO Vesuvius has a lot more character than just “faded black.” Will likely be my selection when the time comes for my D5 order. It is dark, and it will show dirt a lot more than either Terra or Monsoon. You could look into other color options via the Audi Exclusive palette, but that does incur another big dollar hit.

Last edited by derfA8L; 11-21-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

IMO Vesuvius has a lot more character than just “faded black.” Will likely be my selection when the time comes for my D5 order. It is dark, and it will show dirt a lot more than either Terra or Monsoon. You could look into other color options via the Audi Exclusive palette, but that does incur another big dollar hit.
I wholeheartedly agree with you vesuvius gray is an absolutely beautiful color. In fact, on my build sheet, that is the first colour I picked. Here's where my thoughts led me:

1) I went to go see one in person, and it looked great. Under bright dealership lights, it's a great "deep" color and one can see it's a dark charcoal. One can also pick out all of the dust and crap that one gets on a black car, but that's besides the point.
2) I then went to go see one outside (demo car), and I went...oh wait, is that black, or not?
3) Similar to Monsoon grey, it has 0.8% more blue than green, and thus under a blue light (the sun/sky), you see more blue, and when there is no sun out (clouds out), you see more gray. It's how Audi does the whole two tone color thing. I spent all day looking at paint hex codes...(yikes). That said, the grey is so dark that in any light under than the bright sunlight outside, it's so hard to see that it's gray. Sure, you and I know it's gray, but will others when they spend 2 seconds looking at a car? Or will they think it's just faded black? (and the latter is subjective. Some people care about what others think about their cars, some don't. To each their own! (i'm not judging or insinuating!)
4) So the way I look at this is Vesuvius Gray, in practical day to day terms, gives me the downsides of black, without as many upsides as black (I think we can all agree black on the D5 is an amazing color). It's still as difficult to deal with/maintain, and in many circumstances, it's a black car and may look like faded black.

Sorry if I can't express clearly what I'm thinking. I just think Vesuvius Gray is a great color when it's clean and in a showroom, but outside of that, I think it may just be mistaken as a bad black paint job. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Monsoon Grey vs Terra Grey vs Vesuvius Grey