A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor1 D5 Review from 10/16/18...In a nutshell—Needs More Power!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Motor1 D5 Review from 10/16/18...In a nutshell—Needs More Power!

Overall, pretty good review, albeit somewhat conditional. Biggest negative: the lack of a V8 with real D-class power is limiting. No surprise there. Here’s the link to the review:
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/27000...rst-drive/amp/
Old 10-22-2018, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

" There's still some tire roar, but this is a pleasantly quiet car. "

We'll have to see if they made a good enough improvement vs the D4. That was my immediate reason for not considering that car.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
" There's still some tire roar, but this is a pleasantly quiet car. "

We'll have to see if they made a good enough improvement vs the D4. That was my immediate reason for not considering that car.
I would imagine that’s more of a tire issue then an issue with the car itself. Negotiate a tire swap to a quieter tire.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L

I would imagine that’s more of a tire issue then an issue with the car itself. Negotiate a tire swap to a quieter tire.
That's very unlikely to improve the issue.

Goodyear Newsroom : Audi A8 equipped with Goodyear OE tires

It's an acoustic tire! Now if the original review was on 20" tires, then I have hope
Old 10-22-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't understand the corporate strategy of AoA of introducing the D5 A8 with the 335-hp V6 only. The A8 will get compared to its competitors right now when it's brand new. Next summer when the V8 comes out, the A8 will be old news. You never get a second chance to make a first impression and I think for their flagship luxury sedan, they should have either introduced both V6 and V8 at the same time or start with the V8 first and then add the V6 later on. The 2019 A6 is introduced with the V6 only and they will most likely add a 2.0T model later. That seems like the proper strategy. I don't know why AoA is not being consistent with their launch strategy. They seem to hav botched the D5 A8 launch from the beginning. The A6 and A7 were revealed a few months later than the D5 A8 and they got those 2 models launched sooner in the U.S. It perhaps has to do with the Level 3 autonomous driving features not being approved or ready.

My brother saw the new A8 at the LA Auto Show about a year ago and was not impressed at all with the looks. It looked too plain. I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person but the exterior looks bland in pictures and video clips. The A6 and A7 look much more interesting.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
That's very unlikely to improve the issue.

Goodyear Newsroom : Audi A8 equipped with Goodyear OE tires

It's an acoustic tire! Now if the original review was on 20" tires, then I have hope
Call me a skeptic, but I'm not buying the sales pitch that these noise reducing tires do that good of a job versus some other tires without this technology. This foam padding tire tech goes back a bit: 2011-2014 D4 A8's (pre-face lift) had an issue with harmonic vibration intruding into the cabin when driving over rough or grooved pavement, and also when going over ruts or potholes where you would be shocked with a loud "bang" in the cabin. Was pretty bad at times (I know from experience in my 2011 A8L with Continental 19" tires). Tire manufacturers came out with these so-called sound deadening tires a bit later on to help reduce the harmonic vibration from the suspension and its attendant resonating sound (rumble) you'd hear in the cabin. Some folks tried this tire approach (search the D4 forum), but I'm not sure how much it helped. Starting with the 2015MY, the face-lifted A8/A8L had this issue mainly resolved with Audi adding some enhanced acoustic dampening measures, namely: acoustic suspension modifications, adding new and additional body and soundproofing materials to the cabin, and placing what they called a "tuned mass damper" to the front axle to reduce vibration. They did also install "special shock absorbent tires" to the A8L W12 model--these appear to be the same foam equipped tires now installed on the D5. My 2015 A8L does not have anywhere near the same harmonic vibration caused issues that I experienced in my 2011 A8L, so it appears that the modifications made by Audi actually solved the problem as far as the NVH (noise/vibration/harmonics) issue is concerned.

On the other hand, the 20" Pirelli P-Zero Neros on my 2015, while quiet for the first few thousand miles, got quite loud after that and remain so with just under 26K miles on them--although good performing in the handling department, still a frequent complaint with this tire. Some have commented about the availability of quieter tires even without the sound deadening foam tech (other than the harmonic vibration, my 19" Continentals were pretty quiet come to think of it). In any event if there is a trade-off between performance capability or quiet riding tires, I'll go with the former every time...Especially on a heavy and massive vehicle like the A8/A8L. I'd still research other tires that have a track record for being "quiet riding."

Last edited by derfA8L; 10-22-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L

Call me a skeptic, but I'm not buying the sales pitch that these noise reducing tires do that good of a job versus some other tires without this technology. This foam padding tire tech goes back a bit: 2011-2014 D4 A8's (pre-face lift) had an issue with harmonic vibration intruding into the cabin when driving over rough or grooved pavement, and also when going over ruts or potholes where you would be shocked with a loud "bang" in the cabin. Was pretty bad at times (I know from experience in my 2011 A8L with Continental 19" tires). Tire manufacturers came out with these so-called sound deadening tires a bit later on to help reduce the harmonic vibration from the suspension and its attendant resonating sound (rumble) you'd hear in the cabin. Some folks tried this tire approach (search the D4 forum), but I'm not sure how much it helped. Starting with the 2015MY, the face-lifted A8/A8L had this issue mainly resolved with Audi adding some enhanced acoustic dampening measures, namely: acoustic suspension modifications, adding new and additional body and soundproofing materials to the cabin, and placing what they called a "tuned mass damper" to the front axle to reduce vibration. They did also install "special shock absorbent tires" to the A8L W12 model--these appear to be the same foam equipped tires now installed on the D5. My 2015 A8L does not have anywhere near the same harmonic vibration caused issues that I experienced in my 2011 A8L, so it appears that the modifications made by Audi actually solved the problem as far as the NVH (noise/vibration/harmonics) issue is concerned.

On the other hand, the 20" Pirelli P-Zero Neros on my 2015, while quiet for the first few thousand miles, got quite loud after that and remain so with just under 26K miles on them--although good performing in the handling department, still a frequent complaint with this tire. Some have commented about the availability of quieter tires even without the sound deadening foam tech (other than the harmonic vibration, my 19" Continentals were pretty quiet come to think of it). In any event if there is a trade-off between performance capability or quiet riding tires, I'll go with the former every time...Especially on a heavy and massive vehicle like the A8/A8L. I'd still research other tires that have a track record for being "quiet riding."
Thank you for the insight!
Old 10-22-2018, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
I don't understand the corporate strategy of AoA of introducing the D5 A8 with the 335-hp V6 only. The A8 will get compared to its competitors right now when it's brand new. Next summer when the V8 comes out, the A8 will be old news. You never get a second chance to make a first impression and I think for their flagship luxury sedan, they should have either introduced both V6 and V8 at the same time or start with the V8 first and then add the V6 later on. The 2019 A6 is introduced with the V6 only and they will most likely add a 2.0T model later. That seems like the proper strategy. I don't know why AoA is not being consistent with their launch strategy. They seem to hav botched the D5 A8 launch from the beginning. The A6 and A7 were revealed a few months later than the D5 A8 and they got those 2 models launched sooner in the U.S. It perhaps has to do with the Level 3 autonomous driving features not being approved or ready.

My brother saw the new A8 at the LA Auto Show about a year ago and was not impressed at all with the looks. It looked too plain. I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person but the exterior looks bland in pictures and video clips. The A6 and A7 look much more interesting.

Yes, some of the delays are about autonomous most likely. They seem to have not realized exactly what they were getting into on the regulatory side. And despite some early runs at it by the big players, at least so far the feds and state governments have not really legislatively given them a free pass on tort liability if (when) systems come up short. Besides that, I think the German co's also maybe misread Tesla some when they realized they couldn't just dismiss them as a fringe high end player, first thinking electro while Tesla was already aggressively pushing autonomous. FWIW, being here in Silicon Valley, I now probably see 50 model S's for every D any generation Audi, and 10 x plus Tesla X minivans in drag frequently at $130-150K an as equipped copy. And maybe the not so safe autonomous approaches along side that legacy players would not be so aggressive about. I think the incumbents now realize (unfortunately) a huge swath of buyers ultimately want the freedom to project they are smart and careful and eco minded and all, yet to text their brains out and pay little attention too often to driving, which Crash Pilot, err Auto Pilot sells into. Meantime the incumbent luxobarge history and big co nature has them move more like the Exxon Valdez, not a PT boat.

V8 specifically is also probably caught up in the change from Audi to Porsche responsibility for V8 motors AND apparently the relocation for Gyor Hungary (where Audi's motors are made generally now) to a German Porsche site. Some moron frankly may also have been thinking of copying BMW's oft strategy here, which is to intro with the mid level motor, and then predictably a year or two later come out with the bigger motor and try to upsell existing customers and excite some new ones. For BMW maybe, for Tesla and bigger batteries and P cars and such maybe, for Audi I don't think they have that kind of fan base for these. Biggest D market new are still Florida geezers too, and that stereotype does not rush to trade every few years like maybe the LA stereotype.

If you look behind the scenes, in past year or so many senior execs in Audi USA were blown out. And its president--seemingly well respected by the dealership owners--ended up moved to VoA top dog position in just last month or so given worse fires there. Doesn't help either when the overall worldwide Audi CEO was literally sitting in jail on no bail pretrial detention for alleged witness intimidation/tampering, predecessor VW CEO (hailing from Audi IIRC) is under US indictment and continuing German criminal investigation, corporation has literally spent $30,000,000,000+ on TDI fraud (majority of its total market cap and much of its cash), and so on. Not in an organization known as ruthlessly top down culture wise historically. What do you do in the real world when you have to look upstairs for a decision in a top down organization almost just to go to the bathroom, while the Deutsche Politzei are literally ransacking German corporate offices every few months, while the CEO is literally in the Kuhler after two years of upper brass previously trying their best Sgt. Schulz know nothing spiels, and the Board takes months to reluctantly even show the yet latest one the ejecto-door--if he gets out of jail? Hard to run business as usual, let alone in a dynamic market with regulatory changes, global competition, rise of China, electro and autonomous.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-22-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

And some of the V8 lag , in addition to the V8’s development and production move to Porsche’s control, may also be due to getting the V8 motor in compliance with the new European emission standards before initiating actual production. Just read today that the new standard is causing havoc for European deliveries, to the extent that BMW has halted sales of the gasoline 7 Series V8 model over there for the time being. Now that Porsche has unveiled the 4.0T V8 powered Panamera GTS, it’s likely that Audi will begin D5 V8 A8 production, as reported for U.S. arrival this Summer—assuming it passes its U.S. emissions testing.

Last edited by derfA8L; 10-23-2018 at 02:53 AM.